Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:17
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%
Default Bowel problems on Atkins?

Help! My 19 year old son began Atkins about a week ago and has been pretty happy on the diet, had minimal adjustment/withdrawal problems and has lost about 7 pounds. However, suddenly, about 5 days into the diet he began having the runs from about noon till 5:00 p.m. each day. He was making cheese a large part of his intake because it was one of the things on Induction that he likes a lot. He was trying several things to deal with the runs (besides running ) and one day quit eating cheese. That seems to have brought the bowel problems under control, but now he's feeling way more restricted on the diet. Anyone who is more Atkins savvy than I (I use the Zone but put him on Atkins because it's so simple) have any insights about this problem. Is it common to have bowel problems? Will appreciate any help or advice anyone has. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/243/200 Male 6' 00"
BF:39%/32%/25%
Progress: 38%

Make sure he's not eating any "fake" chocolate containing sugar alcohols. Excessive consumption can cause major stomach disturbances.

Believe me, I know.

JF3
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

When I first started Atkins, I also had the same problem. I was told that the body was getting rid of the bad carbs in the body....after a few days it went away by itself.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Also, this seems counterintuitive, but perhaps adding some more fiber to his diet. I had the runs and started supplementing with fiber. 2 pills after breakfast and 2 after dinner. I'm using Citrucel, but I think that any will work.

When I went in to the Dr before I even started the plan I was diagnosed with IBS and he said to take fiber for it. Helps regulate the bowels.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Is he eating raw veggies now and wouldn't touch them before? If this is the case you can steam or cook them just a little first. It can also be a very good sign of a food intolerence. Have him start keeping track of what he eats and what seems to upset his tummy. For me it was dairy. Once I cut out the cheese and heavy cream the problem cleared and I lose weight much better. I made the mistake of having pizza toppings last night and was miserable with gas and a small amount of diareah all night last night.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:36
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

Hi, Fit and Trim, Debi, and JF, and everyone else! (my editing can't keep up with the number of respondents),
You "guys" are great! Thanks so much for the instant response. We literally got an answer for Jeff while he was sitting here near the computer with me! The link Debi gave was especially helpful and confirmed what Fit and Trim said. After reading, he felt much better about the whole thing, ate a cheese stick, and will see how things go. He also asked me to pass along his thanks to everyone, and I think I've persuaded him to join the forum and do his own posting so he can profit by the encouragement and fellowship!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Last edited by shalizbet : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 14:40.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Oh PLEASE...settle down all! I would cut out an eye to have the Sh**s! LOL!

More Fiber is needed here! It is very normal to have this "problem" especially in the first 2-3 weeks of Atkins. I thought of it as a "gift"!

Increase fiber....which will increase bulk in the abdomen and cause, well...stools to form. This will give him comfort.

You can use Flax Seeds (ground) or pysillium husks for this purpose.

Hope this helps and hope things WORK OUT! LOL!
Best wishes;
Happy Jake
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Happy Jack you are too funny....LOL I laugh almost everytime I read one of your post. What a great since of humor...keep it up.

Shalizbet...Tell your son this is what the forum is for....and welcome. It will be really nice to have him here....