Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 11:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
New article suggesting that ACE2 inhibitors may be gasoline on the fire. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN2251GQ

I find it extremely plausible that using drugs to make lab markers look better, rather than correcting underlying imbalances, will turn out to be a bad idea for health.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 02:07

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Protein may explain why men with heart disease have higher coronavirus risk than women

Researchers believe their results may help explain why men with heart failure are more likely to die after contracting Covid-19 than women

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...er-coronavirus/

Quote:
Men with heart failure appear to have higher concentrations of a protein in their blood that enables coronavirus to infect healthy cells, scientists have said.

Researchers looked at patients in their 60s and 70s from 11 European countries and measured the concentrations of the protein, known as ACE2, in their plasma, which is the liquid part of blood. They believe their results may help to explain why men with heart failure are more likely to die after contracting Covid-19 than women.

Dr Iziah Sama, from University Medical Centre Groningen in the Netherlands, and first author of the study, said: "When we found that one of the strongest biomarkers, ACE2, was much higher in men than in women, I realised that this had the potential to explain why men were more likely to die from Covid-19 than women."

The researchers also found that levels of ACE2 in the blood were not affected by the drugs commonly used to treat blood pressure.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 14:30

BF:

Covid-19 may trigger the onset of diabetes in previously healthy people

New-onset diabetes is being observed in patients who have tested positive for the virus

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...healthy-people/

Quote:
Covid-19 may be triggering the onset of diabetes in previously healthy people, experts warned on Friday.

New-onset diabetes is being observed in patients who have tested positive for the virus, an international group of 17 leading diabetes experts wrote in a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine published on Friday.

It remains unclear exactly how the virus that causes Covid-19, impacts diabetes.

But research has shown that ACE-2, the protein that binds to SARS-Cov-2 allowing the virus to enter human cells, is not only located in the lungs but also in organs and tissues involved in glucose metabolism such as the pancreas, the small intestine, the fat tissue, the liver and the kidney.

Researchers believe that by entering these tissues, the virus may cause multiple and complex dysfunctions of glucose metabolism.

It has also been known for many years that virus infections can precipitate type 1 diabetes.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 14:39
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I’m doing pretty well with primarily carnivore as it’s pretty simple in these odd times, and I have no need to run out to grocery stores for fresh produce, etc.

But I’m thinking it’s mainly giving up coffee that is responsible for the BP drop. After a couple weeks of BP mostly humming along in the roughly 120/80 range I accidentally made coffee one morning instead of decaf, and BP was 160/90 that day! Next morning, after the caffeine had 24 hours to clear my system, I was back to 125/77.

I’ve been fighting the BP thing for a while and I think some of the other things that have helped are Hibiscus (either capsule or as tea), Magnesium, and 15 minutes daily of slow, deep breathing exercises.

WOW! Just a little caffeine?
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 14:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I've been put on blood pressure med and also Wellbutrin. I also take a Leakage medication that I know raises my BP. I was taking 2 together and have since gone to only one.

I'd love to get off all meds!
I take NSAIDS(naproxen sodium) for my chronic osteo arthritis. Prilosec for a couple of reasons. Not able to stop those.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-20, 06:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

DH got off Prilosec using this Betaine HCL protocol. In case it helps!

https://imcwc.com/html5-blank/diges...fter%20e ating.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-20, 10:16

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Getting off all meds would certainly be a great goal. I still take metformin and Armour thyroid. I used to take Prilosec before I went totally gluten-free and that eliminated that. I have severe osteoarthritis in my left knee and so occasionally take ibuprofen for that but oddly, since I went keto and began doing IF, my knee hasn't been hurting me at all. I keep waiting for it. I'm sure it will come again but not yet!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 05:14

BF:

High blood pressure drugs apparently don’t add to covid-19 danger as earlier feared

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...6bf9_story.html

Quote:
For the millions of Americans who suffer from high blood pressure, reports that identify hypertension as a significant risk factor for serious illness and death related to covid-19 may seem frightening. Yet one piece of reassuring news has emerged from the confusion that should ease at least some of the worry.

Certain widely used medications that treat high blood pressure apparently don’t add to the danger as earlier feared. Recent studies suggest they don’t make people more susceptible to becoming infected with the coronavirus, nor do they exacerbate the disease. As a result, doctors who care for patients with hypertension have urged them to continue taking the drugs.

“I believe these medications do not make covid-19 worse,” says Karan Desai, a cardiology fellow at the University of Maryland Medical Center. “These medications treat hypertension and heart failure. But if these conditions worsen or go untreated, it will likely make covid-19 more severe if a patient contracts the virus.”

These findings are important because earlier reports raised questions about whether two frequently prescribed classes of blood pressure drugs, ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs), might actually make people more vulnerable to contracting the virus and cause an infection to become more virulent.

#39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-20, 00:30

BF:

Blood pressure drugs may protect against Covid-19 effects

University of East Anglia research revealed antihypertensives reduce the risk of severe Covid-19 illness and death by a third

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...vid-19-effects/

Quote:
Medication for high blood pressure lowers the risk of becoming seriously ill or dying from Covid-19 by one third, a study suggests.

Researchers from the University of East Anglia studied 28,000 patients taking antihypertensives, a class of drugs used to treat high blood pressure.

They found that the risk of severe Covid-19 illness and death fell by one third for people taking Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme inhibitors (ACEi) or Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARB).

Lead researcher Dr Vassilios Vassiliou, from the University of East Anglia's Norwich Medical School, said: “We found that there was a significantly lower risk of death and critical outcomes, so they might in fact have a protective role, particularly in patients with hypertension.

“Covid-19 patients with high blood pressure who were taking ACEi/ARB medications were 0.67 times less likely to have a critical or fatal outcome than those not taking these medications.

“Our research provides substantial evidence to recommend continued use of these medications if the patients were taking them already.”

Although experts are unsure about what is driving the protective effect, it could be that the drugs prevent the formation of ACE2, an enzyme which constricts blood vessels, but also helps coronavirus enter the body.

Research in June found that people with high blood pressure are twice as likely to die from coronavirus than those without.

Moreover, they found that those who avoided taking medication for the condition were at even greater risk of dying from Covid-19.

The study showed that four per cent of patients with hypertension and coronavirus died, compared with 1.1 per cent without high blood pressure.

Last year, NHS data from the Health Survey for England found that high blood pressure was rising in adults in the UK. Some 26 per cent of women had the condition compared with 30 per cent of men. Two thirds of men 75 or over have some form of hypertension.

Research from the British Heart Foundation found as many as four million people under the age of 65 are living with untreated high blood pressure.

The University of East Anglia research was published in the journal Current Atherosclerosis Reports.

Quote:
Effect of Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System Inhibitors in Patients with COVID-19: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of 28,872 Patients

https://link.springer.com/article/1...883-020-00880-6