Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 06:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I often mull over what country to move to. Maybe Ireland.....if sunnier than England.
Southern England is usually sunnier than Ireland. Though if you like the rain, then Ireland is definitely the place to move to
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 08:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I had a dental cleaning yesterday, and again was told that my teeth are in reasonable shape, no new signs of decay. This has been the norm for the last several years, since low carbing, though the hygienist doesn't see a connection there :-). In the past I had a lot of cavities, crowns, several root canals, over the course of 60 years (though only one wisdom tooth removed, and one other tooth that broke & couldn't be fixed). I always felt that I must have some genetic propensity for bad teeth. However, also over the last several years my gums are getting worse. Receding, fair bit of bleeding, not painful so I really only think of it if they bleed with flossing, or at my thrice yearly cleanings. I downloaded "The Dental Diet" to my kindle yesterday to read, and have started brushing with baking soda. Hygienist, of course, recommended a special periodontal toothpaste with flouride, which I will ignore.
I had a little "Eureka!" moment while re-reading through this long thread: I have realized (as have most of us on this forum I think) for a long while that the official health and nutrition advice handed down from "experts" is, in many instances, wrong and/or severely misguided, and that research & self experimentation is the best way forward. But somehow I never extended that to my oral health. I think that that way of thinking (or, perhaps, NOT thinking) will need to change.
  #258   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 21:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Wishing you the best on this journey. Give your gums time. Has taken a year to get my gums this good.

As Dr Lin is a dentist, we have a pro to guide us!! Otherwise, as you say, we need to discover for ourselves a better way, as the current teaching as lacking.
  #259   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 21:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Southern England is usually sunnier than Ireland. Though if you like the rain, then Ireland is definitely the place to move to

Dang!!!! I imagined it was sunny!!!

Then I,ll try Sicily! or the Alps. Or New Zealand.

Anywhere sunny grassy and flocking with sheep or cattle.
  #260   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 22:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Dang!!!! I imagined it was sunny!!!

Then I,ll try Sicily! or the Alps. Or New Zealand.

Anywhere sunny grassy and flocking with sheep or cattle.

Having lived for several years in Ireland as a schoolgirl (officially a resident of California) I can confirm that Ireland can, on occasion, be sunny, but it is not the default state. All that green grass, the happy cows and sheep, the 50 shades of green? That comes from rain, or drizzle, or, as the Irish say, "a soft day" - that is, not raining exactly, but if you stay out your hair will get wet. When I was studying for exams at school, age 16, there was a heatwave! Very hard to study, we all wanted to be outside. It got all the way up into the 80s! Imagine! So hot! It went on for a couple of weeks. The farmers were desperate; they had no irrigation, they didn't need any usually. The cows in the far pastures had little water; normally their water troughs were filled by Mother Nature. Growing up, as I did, on the foggy coast of California, it all seemed perfectly normal. But if you want sun, Ireland is not the first/best choice. However, for many other reasons, I would move back without hesitation, if I weren't' so firmly established now in Oregon. (Plus, I imagine that the Ireland of today is not the Ireland I knew in the 1960s)
  #261   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 20:18

BF:

The weather reminds me of the cool evenings of the Maine coast, usually needed a sweater when the fog rolled in.

Until I can visit those green places, I will look for their cheeses here.
  #262   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-19, 20:53

BF:

Been digging on kidney disease and found this gem. Looks like baking soda helps prevent acidosis in the body and helps kidney disease.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...tion-Study.aspx
  #263   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 09:00

BF:

Kids had dental cleaning yesterday. Not happy with this office. Kids have not seen a rel dentist in years. Just hygienists.

Got lucky yesterday, my youngest got my hygienist. She knows Im very interested in holistic approaches,and we have quiet conversations as holistic is unorthodox.

Well, son had 2-3 cavities for the last year+ that the hygienist has been bugging me to take care of. 9m ago at last visit, I kindly said we wanted to try a new approach first. I didnt explain. It was K2 supplement and baking soda brushing.

New to son hygenist was made aware of my concerns for those three teeth, and she cleaned them up beautifully. The first two have no sign of decay..... did they heal or did the teeth never truely have a problem? The third-- the instument clearly got stuck. She gave it another go-- and voila, it is clean with only a stain.

Im angry. This is the same place that put on sealant and the tooth developed a cavity, a real one that needed filling. ALl filling material is toxic. None are inert. Im angry because I suspect the tooth was poorly cleaned before the sealant sealed in the bacteria and its food!! grrrrrrr

So continue on with brushing with baking soda, and I will continue to push LC, and dumping the carbs.....

Older son, no cavities. needs more brushing at the gum line, and I noticed only a little blood. When I asked about blood in spit water, ya gross, he said none. Ummm, not sure he is correct on that. He too has been using baking soda for 6-9 months now. NOT paste.

My hygenist suggested a product to heal the tooth with the stain.. a topical she is using on her daughter. And a toothpaste made of xylitol, readily available, as that is known to prevent cavities. We are looking for both.

The xylitol toothpaste interests me because when the kids travel they reach for a tube of toothpaste as it is convenient. ( I take a small tub of baking soda about 1 1/2 x 2. Have tried a pill bottle and that is just ok.)
  #264   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 03:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Before hearing of your experiences, I used a xylitol toothpaste I got from iHerb.com

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-...-4-oz-181-g/885

I also use baking soda! Great news about the kid's teeth.
  #265   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 11:13

BF:

THey even have neem and tea tree toothpaste----wonder how that works as a toothpaste.
  #266   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-19, 09:24

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:

My hygenist suggested a product to heal the tooth with the stain.. a topical she is using on her daughter.

What's the product? I have a stained tooth without a cavity.

My hygienist is very holistic. She has supported my positive changes and has made some good suggestions. She even makes a polishing paste for me that isn't that awful stuff they normally use. Her boss is conservative in treatment philosophy but conventional. He tolerates both of us.
  #267   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-19, 11:38

BF:

My son took a pic, so I dont have name of product handy.

The stuff helod rebuild mildly damaged enamel. Not for fixing a stain per se.

But I,ll get it for u.
  #268   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 19:19

BF:

Ned the Neanderthal is 60,000 year old fossil. The uppet dental alignment that is perfect continues to surprize me. Perfect, without braces.
  #269   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 19:20

BF:

Quote:
My son took a pic......

But I,ll get it for u.

MI Paste Plus
  #270   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 19:52

BF:

Quote:
But we know, the anthropologists know with confidence that when we consume grains, with explosion in tooth decay, tooth misalignment, a doubling of knee arthritis, iron deficiency and other diseases. In other words, it was a dramatic change in human health and human behavior. It did lead to the burst in agricultural activity and perhaps a civilization so it did some good things as well. But it was their response for a major downturn in human health. And modern people don’t recognize that. They think that eating a loaf of bread or a sandwich, they don’t recognize that that’s a major cause for tooth decay, heart disease, autoimmune diseases, metabolic diseases, inflammation, arthritis, psoriasis, [Inaudible 00:26:19] acid reflux, [Inaudible 00:26:21] colitis, Crohn’s disease, on and on and on. But the realization that this was a mistake, a huge dietary mistake made 10,000 years ago, sets us free to do the opposite. And once again, diet, conventional diet information not only gave us ineffective diet information; it gave us destructive diet information.

dr davis, interview with ivor c.