Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

There are plenty of jobs that are physical, yes, involving moving your body (postman is one that comes to mind) but they tend to pay less. And offer fewer benefits. Postman is a job that does pay well and does offer benefits. However, I see that in my community, they are looking for postmen (and women) who can work part-time. I'm guessing those might be temporary job in addition to being part-time. All this does is cut benefits but it fills the need for mail to be delivered!
If you want to make more money and you want benefits (in particular, health care), either get an job where you spend most of your time in an office or teach. Teachers tend to stand, pace and walk around the building during the day.
Even a traveling salesman spends most of his time sitting while traveling (in plane or car).
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 11:44

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sorry, I guess that's the blue collar family I come from. My dad and dh are welders in the oil field, constantly moving, climbing, carrying heavy things, etc. Many of our friends are carpenters, roofers, dairy farmer, etc. Those are all very physical jobs.
  #273   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 12:17
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Ironically the more money I've made the easier my jobs have been.
  #274   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCole
kdill, carbohydrate consumption is very much affected by what you eat it with. Think about people 100 years ago. They were eating biscuits and corn and potatoes, etc. But they were not as obese as a whole, and had far less heart disease and cancer, etc. I would argue that the big difference between diet now and diet then is fat. Fat was natural, saturated, and from animals. And our Grandparents at a lot of it. Now, we (not us, them) eat less and what we eat is unsaturated and too high in Omega 6. Not only is it amplifying the negative affects of sugar, but it promotes inflammation all on its own (GCBC).

If you are zoning, you are eating carbs that have less effect on your blood glucose with meat, which also slows the effect of carbs on blood glucose. So you are probabley never circulating toxic levels of blood glucose. It's great that this is what works for you, my family eat the same way, but with a Weston A Price influence. I eat this way occasionally, but I FEEL best and will only lose on a ketogenic diet. But then again, I am a peri-menopausal 42 yo woman. Are you? I would bet that I am in the catagory which finds weight loss the most difficult (dammit).

Also, did you actually have blood work while on a ketogenic diet, as defined by VLC, HF, Adequate protein, for comparison?

No I am a 40-something male, who lifts weights and rides a bicycle, often for 40 or 50 miles at a time during better weather. I lift for health, but I ride the bike because I like it.

Yes, I've had blood taken under various diet conditions. One of the perks of some of the places I've worked.

I actually have a lot of respect for WPF, Mary Enig was one of my professors many years ago. She's a loon, but really smart. Which is one of the reasons I call what I do "Zone Good Enough", because I don't adhere to the recommendations to only eat unsaturated fat.
  #275   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 12:17

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

kdill, that's very interesting, it sounds a bit like Traditional Foods. I would totally do that if I could tolerate those carb levels.

doctork, I gained all my weight while in the Army. When I hit 130lbs (64" tall), I saw a nutritionist who started me on LF >1500kcal/day and a food diary which I was very strict about. On my own, I started swimming again, 2 miles a day every afternoon, 6 days a week. I was still running PT 4 days a week, and I started running on saturdays. I was also going to the field regularly, which if you've ever been in the Army you know it's very physical. All this lead to me being 185lbs. I know some was muscle, but trust me, alot of it was jiggly. I think if I had just stopped drinking sugar I would have gone right back down to 120ish.

I am very often offended by this notion that we are less active therefor fatter. It was not true with me, it does not explain the explosion of Obesity since the LF recommendations came out in the late 70's , and it does not explain the proliferation of the work out culture since the 70's. The department of agriculture charts on vegetable fat consumption in the 20th c (it went up, alot) and animal fat consumption in the 20th c (it went down, alot) are very instructive. I defer to GCBC and Weston A Price.
  #276   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 12:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The Thumbtack Hypothesis

Quote:
Thin people spent 800kcal per day on walking.

Fat people spent, guess what: 800kcal per day on walking.

Now, is that neat or is that neat? The lazy fatties were expending EXACTLY as many calories on being up and mobile as the slim people. This point seems to have escaped the authors' attention. Is this anti fat bias? Which group is laziest? Count those calories!

In fact, the only real difference between the groups is that obese people spent MORE calories overall per day and the excess is spent on basal metabolic rate. You cannot argue with a big body. It needs fuel. BMR is life. Obviously they have to eat more to do this.
  #277   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 13:51

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
kdill, that's very interesting, it sounds a bit like Traditional Foods. I would totally do that if I could tolerate those carb levels.

doctork, I gained all my weight while in the Army. When I hit 130lbs (64" tall), I saw a nutritionist who started me on LF >1500kcal/day and a food diary which I was very strict about. On my own, I started swimming again, 2 miles a day every afternoon, 6 days a week. I was still running PT 4 days a week, and I started running on saturdays. I was also going to the field regularly, which if you've ever been in the Army you know it's very physical. All this lead to me being 185lbs. I know some was muscle, but trust me, alot of it was jiggly. I think if I had just stopped drinking sugar I would have gone right back down to 120ish.

I am very often offended by this notion that we are less active therefor fatter. It was not true with me, it does not explain the explosion of Obesity since the LF recommendations came out in the late 70's , and it does not explain the proliferation of the work out culture since the 70's. The department of agriculture charts on vegetable fat consumption in the 20th c (it went up, alot) and animal fat consumption in the 20th c (it went down, alot) are very instructive. I defer to GCBC and Weston A Price.

Brilliant post! Very courageous of you to be so honest about your experiences.

amanda
  #278   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

I've been impressed when I read that someone tries to lose x number of pounds and they increase their activity level. And increase it more. And increase it more. Until finally some weight starts to fall off.... reluctantly, but it does go. And not even that much!
Plenty of active people are fat. Plenty of vegetarians are fat. It's not a predictable process, losing weight with activity, especially when you can lose pounds simply by finding the right diet. However, being active has a lot of nice side effects, which of course vary from person to person. Not unlike dieting.
  #279   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 14:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

Being an Army vet myself I can understand the pressure you were under to make weight. Believe it or not, many vets suffer from various types of endocrine disruption. --- For a while it appeared that I had insulin resistance and the ever popular metabolic syndrome, which led me to low carb. LC did a very good job of masking the symptoms of the real issue, which for me was a screwed up pituitary gland, combined with Vit D deficiency. Corrected pituitary issue, and added supplimnetal Vit D and suddenly everything worked like it was supposed to. May be you have some type of endocrine disruption, maybe you don't, but if your insurance, if you have any, will cover it, its worth a look.
  #280   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 17:29

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

How did you fix the pituitary issue?
  #281   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 20:51

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

More active jobs tend to pay less, but obesity is higher in poorer people. So there may be a negative correlation between active lifestyles and fatness.
  #282   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 21:17
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb

Yeah I wanted to ask that too!
  #283   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 05:26

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambimorph
More active jobs tend to pay less, but obesity is higher in poorer people. So there may be a negative correlation between active lifestyles and fatness.

I agree. One of our friends is a carpenter and frames houses for a living, owns his own business doing this. He is outside working all day, very physical job. He is also overweight by a 40 lbs or so and has always been and has high blood pressure even though he is only in his early 30's.
  #284   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 06:33

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Amandawood - Aaw, shucks! Thanks.

Kdill, I am curious about that. It is obvious to me that hormone trumps all (can't remember who said that, but I am quoting).
  #285   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 12:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb

In my case it was/is a combination of Radiation and replacement therapy.

I had a "spot" in both my pituitary and pineal glands. They treated the one on the pituitary, but left the one on the pineal due to location. And I get to take meds until they figure out how to "re-boot" my P-gland and close the feed back loop.

Last edited by kdill : Fri, Oct-16-09 at 12:19.