Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 18:43

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 182.6/174.4/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default sabotaged by a lc tortilla... angry

Apparently I just sabotaged myself by eating the best tasting thing I've eaten since jan. 12th when I started this WOE. I was in the supermarket today and there were, almost screaming at me as I walked by them... LA tortilla, low carb tortillas. With supposedly 10 grams of carbs and 7 grams of fiber, giving me 3g of net carbs, even tho I don't believe in net carbs, even at 10 grams I was willing bc I was at 0 for the day, I ate steakum, with cheddar and mayo on the tortilla and it was DELICIOUS. Then I come on here and there's warning bells and alarms about false claims and how terrible this product is... sigh** this product saved me from eating the fresh strawberry shortcake I made for everyone else in my house tonight, but now I'm in a panic the scale will be up 3 pounds tomorrow like I read on someone else's page or maybe affect my ketosis, or affect any loss for a week or so like someone else had posted, why me? Anyone have anything at all good to say about this product? ugh.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 05:21

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I can only speak for myself but I think you can be totally zen about this.
One tortilla will not blow your WOE out of the water, especially as it was supposed to be low carb.
There is always a danger that eating a type of thing that resembles the higher carb food we have had to kiss goodbye to will trigger cravings, mental if not physical. Some stuff that's sold as low carb may well not correspond to the "real food" criteria most low carbers try to abide by.

Triggering the desire to eat more is kind of my acid test. i eat taco shells from the supermarket that are supposed to be gluten free (can contain traces) and they don't induce any cravings. i have a couple with my sauce etc. and that's it. I ate a wholegrain burger at the office the other day because the other choices just didn't grab me and I didn't feel any ill effects. Today I could have had one again but I took a sausage instead, as I don't want to get into bad habits.
Personally I find sugar and baked goods (especially with white wheat flour) are the biggest dangers. I have got to the point now where I can really ignore them 99% of the time, but I have to try to avoid being hungry when there's cake in the office kitchen and I have no cheese in the fridge!

The bottom line is if you can eat one (or even two) of these things and not be derailed, don't sweat it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 09:24

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

obviously one wrap is better than a cake....
BUT, i think you need to read a lot more about low carbing- for example, cheese has carbs, as does mayo. The label might say zero due to rounding down, but you should be counting these "hidden carbs."
second, but more important point- seriously it is APRIL and you have been on plan since JANUARY and this was the best thing you have tasted? Live a little- buy some brie, some crab legs or lobster with drawn butter, an avocado with sea salt, etc......you should ENJOY your low carb food
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 12:46
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I tried LC wraps. They were very high in carbs, but nearly as high in fiber - so the net carbs was reasonable. I thought they might work in my plan. I made a 'wrap burger' and it was very good. I thought it was a great substitute for a bun.

The next day I was up 6 or 7 pounds in water weight. One wrap - along with the other carbs I was eating - kicked me out of a ketogenic state. It was only water - but it took several days of on plan eating (minus LC wraps) to take the extra water back off. A week or two later, I had another 'wrap burger'. The same thing happened. Apparently, this pushed me over my keto carb limit again. Since I want to stay in a keto state, I learned that LC wraps are not for me. The 'net carb' theory seems to go out the window when it comes to these wraps. So I've decided that as wonderful as they tasted, I just can't eat them.

Had I eaten fewer carbs that day to allow for the wrap, this probably would not have happened. Given the carb count that you stated, you probably won't get hit with the water weight. I guess time will tell. If it does - just remember it is not fat -- just water.

Many will say that it is best not to eat a wheat product anyway. I have not made my mind up on that yet. But they don't seem to work well for me and my goals - so I don't eat them. BTW: My wife and daughter eat them all the time. We've pretty much eliminated bread in our house. These wraps make that possible. So I'd say it is best to do without them, but it is better than the regular bread or cake alternative.

I will say this, though... Unlike a white flour based bun, the wrap did not spike my blood sugar and did not cause me any cravings. It appears that they are slower to digest and don't hit your system as hard as hard as a bun does. So, if I was lower carb, but not ketogenic - it might have worked out having them from time to time. Maybe I will in maintenance. I have not decided.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Apr-22-15 at 13:54.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 13:06
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

First off, HUGE congrats on your losses to date!

Now shake it off, Renee, it's going to be okay!

Just cause someone gained 3 lbs eating an LC tortilla doesn't mean you will... I agree with Robin about the tortilla being better than cake.

This journey is a learning experience! Just keep fighting the good fight! You've GOT THIS since you feel so guilty about eating that tortilla!!

Wishing you much success on your personal journey to a healthier YOU!

Onward, DOWNWARD & MAINTENANCE 4ever!

Jo

Hi! My name is Jo and I’m a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!

Last edited by Just Jo : Wed, Apr-22-15 at 13:07. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! LOL