Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 04:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That Trader Joe's Simply bar did a number on me if I ate more than one tiny piece...and who limits a chocolate bar to that I bought that baking chocolate bar too when it first showed up yet haven't progressed to making chocolates. Let us know how they turn out.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I tried one section of the dark chocolate sea salt. Very strong taste, very good!

Actually, it was more like two sections: but there are 24 sections per 3 oz bar.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 12:02

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That Trader Joe's Simply bar did a number on me if I ate more than one tiny piece...and who limits a chocolate bar to that

I had the same issue when I tried one years ago but I probably ate a LOT of it...man it was painful!!!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 18:58

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I made the homemade chocolate bars, and they were a big hit! My family loves all that homemade stuff....Not terribly difficult either. Unfortunately, I ran out of cocoa butter, and didn't have enough to make a low-carb batch for myself. I didn't realize how much cocoa butter it takes (a lot).

Here's what I learned:
Cocoa butter is hard to find! The stuff that is already chipped up is a lot easier to work with.

A silicone candy mold is the ticket. I found one to make bars, with a Christmas pattern on them. Lay it on a firm tray. No need to grease.

I used pyrex glass measuring cups to melt the cocoa butter and baking chocolate in, worked very well. Set them in a large skillet of hot, not boiling water.

I couldn't find a recipe that I was thrilled with, so I kind of made up my own (I tend to do that). For the dark chocolate batch, I used equal parts (4 oz each) of cocoa butter and baking chocolate (from Trader Joe's), added 3 oz. of coconut creme for flavor and sweetness, then just added sweetener to taste (for my family, it was honey). A pinch of salt. Mix well and pour it into the mold and top with whatever nuts, dried fruits, coconut shavings, etc...that you want. That's where the fun is!

For a less dark chocolate, you can cut the baking chocolate ratio down to 1:4. For a milk chocolate taste, add powdered milk (it actually disolves quite well. Never add any water (or water based liquid) or allow any to drip into the chocolate.

Tray goes into the fridge and is solid in a few hours. Just peel off the mold, score and pack away (not in mouth, hopefully). Because this chocolate is not "tempered", it should be stored in the fridge.

As soon as I can get my hands on some more cocoa butter, I'll do up a batch with stevia. Did a tiny test batch so I know it will work fine. I'm pretty happy to see how easy and yummy these bars came out!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 15:55

Plan: LCHF & Paleo
Stats: 170/150/140 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I make the easiest most delicious chocolate myself. Just melt a cup of cold pressed coconut oil, a cup of cocoa powder, half a cup of erythritol, vanilla extract and half a cup of chopped almonds in a double boiler. Add some sea salt. Pour into a pan covered with parchment paper. Stick in the freezer for a couple of hours. Break into pieces. Enjoy!