Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 19:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/275/225 Male 74inches
BF:
Progress:
Default water flavor enhancement

If I use those little bottles of water flavor enhancers, can I count them toward my eight, 8 oz of daily water intake? thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 22:39

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I don't know what plan you are on, but I would say yes. The only ones you usually are not supposed to count are those containing caffeine. (Caffeine is a diuretic)

And welcome to the boards!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 23:38
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default PROPYLENE GLYCOL in liquid water flavors

Sorry to relate this….MIO and all the other flavors are based in propylene glycol, now allowed as an OTC product for constipation is Miralax..a powdered form…what it does is grab water molecules and help the colon make the stool softer…TMI …..I know.

BUT this stuff coats the body's excretory system, many dietitians are recommending NO ONE drink this stuff…

yes it may not harm YOU, and it sure tastes great, helps us consume water..BUT… studies are not in agreement it is safe in daily use..

http://www.naturalnews.com/023138_p...cts_natural.htm
"The FDA has been pretty honest about the consequences of overdose: metabolic acidosis, lactic acidosis, acute tubular necrosis, allergic contact dermatitis, hemolysis, central nervous system depression, seizures, arrhythmias, and nephrotoxicity.

"The big threat is that it is being used for Over the Counter products... And thus, intake cannot be gauged! Overdose becomes a real and present danger...

"…..studies done in vitro tests on mammalian cells revealed that some cells underwent mutation. Other research conducted twenty and thirty years ago documented toxic effects after repeated small doses of propylene glycol were ingested or repeatedly applied to the skin. Acute toxicity was found to follow I.V. injection of drugs dissolved in significant amounts of PG.

In Europe, where the authorities are much more cautious about what is allowable in cosmetics and foods, propylene glycol is limited to mostly non-food uses. What food uses are allowed are very limited.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 10:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't see much evidence in that article that the amount included in the water drops is particularly dangerous if used anywhere near according to label.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 12:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Must be an american thing (??). I'm in Canada; there's no propylene glycol in *any* brand of water-flavouring drops here ... not MiO, not Crystal Light, Nestea, nor generic store brands.

To answer the OP, I'd say yes, it's fine to use the drops in your daily water. I would, however, gently suggest that you consider why you need to have that sweet taste throughout the day. For some of us, it was our reliance on sweets .. including carb-free artificial sweeteners .. that kept our addiction to sugar alive and well. Sort of like throwing hamburgers at a tiger pacing back and forth in your living room, then wondering why it won't go away .

On the other hand, is there a problem with the taste of your local tap water? I've found using a Brita filter greatly improves the taste of drinking water, and also anything I make with it such as coffee and tea

Good luck to you, and do swing by the Introductions forum to say hello
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 12:18

I don't know if I'd consider Natural News a reliable source. This is directly from the FDA site:

"Propylene glycol is metabolized by animals and can be used as a carbohydrate source. Propylene glycol can be ingested over long periods of time and in substantial quantities (up to 5 percent of the total food intake) without causing frank toxic effects. Propylene glycol monostearate is readily hydrolysed in vivo and the propylene glycol and fatty acid moieties enter their respective metabolic pathways. At lethal or near lethal doses (6 g per kg or more), however, it has been reported to cause kidney damage in several species and toe deformities in chicks. These doses contrast with the few mg per kg per day estimated in Section III of this report to be the human daily dietary intake of propylene glycol. The Select Committee has weighed the available information and concludes that: There is no evidence in the available information on propylene glycol and propylene glycol monostearate that demonstrates, or suggests reason to suspect, a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in future."
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 19:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/275/225 Male 74inches
BF:
Progress:

five replies... I'm impressed. I'm on Atkins 20 (4th day) thanks everybody
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by notso
five replies... I'm impressed. I'm on Atkins 20 (4th day) thanks everybody

I think if you just have a few drops here and there...no prob.