Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 16:33

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Low Carb Products to take to Disney World

I am basically on 72 Atkins Induction and doing quite well. My plan is mostly meat and eggs with some salad and the occasional Heavy whipping cream.
We are going to Walt Disney World in early January with our grown kids and grands. We will be staying at Pop Century and later at Animal Kingdom and the Contemporary Resort.

I am not worried too much about being able to eat lunch and dinner in the park as I am okay with getting a burger and removing the bun, etc. But I am concerned about breakfast at the Pop Century. It is just a food court and is notably crowded early in the morning before the park opens. I must eat breakfast because I get really shaky if I don't eat early. I suspect that younger family and my husband will be fine with bagels or sweet rolls.

So my question is what do you suggest i take with me from home that I can grab for breakfast or a mid morning snack. I am okay with the idea that I will be getting more than my normal 12-15 carbs a day (not net). My gut doesn't like sugar alcohols. I worry that if I start eating fruit again after 3 months my gut may get upset since it doesn't do well on fructose either.

Here is what I have thought about:
Meat sticks (looking for the lowest amount of sugar)
jerky,which all seems to have sugar in it
protein bars
Atkins bars (do they all have sugar alcohols in them?)
Freeze dried foods that I could eat dry

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 16:44

BF:

I love pork rinds and I just wonder if they would get crushed in packing on the way.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 17:03

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I take Quest bars as emergency food. High protein, low carb, and they taste good.

Plus most of the ingredients are good, whey protein, stevia, etc.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 18:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I take Quest bars as emergency food. High protein, low carb, and they taste good.

Plus most of the ingredients are good, whey protein, stevia, etc.

Bob

Thank you for your reply. They were on my maybe list, so now they move to order.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 18:53

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I love raw pecans which I don't eat very often except when travelling.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 21:57

BF:

Thanks Katie
Pecans sound great and I know they fill you up and keep you from being hungry.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I went to Disney world last December. I did not try to do it low carb. Only those five days in the past two and a half years have I not been under 140g per week.

That said, I did take Atkins bars. They would help as would any other can or box of loose nuts. Most any hard cheese would be good. Take mayo packets as the lunch stuff is dry. You might have to hunt for burger places. I'd bet 1/2 of the places don't have LC-ish options. Peperoni sticks typically do not have sugar in them.

Have dinner at Epcot France and eat the duck (seriously, they give you 1/2 a duck.. what can I do with 1/2 a duck?). Akershus castle is awesome. All the princesses are there (last year they had a Snow White who my 22yo son said was the Heath Ledger of Snow White's) and they have a nice salad/buffet that has a lot of variety.

PS - Be good and don't slow down the little ones too much. You'll be surprised how much walking there is to do especially when you're in a hurry.

PPS - At the Beast's castle, don't try the grey stuff. It's not that delicious.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 07:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
I went to Disney world last December. I did not try to do it low carb. Only those five days in the past two and a half years have I not been under 140g per week.

That said, I did take Atkins bars. They would help as would any other can or box of loose nuts. Most any hard cheese would be good. Take mayo packets as the lunch stuff is dry. You might have to hunt for burger places. I'd bet 1/2 of the places don't have LC-ish options. Peperoni sticks typically do not have sugar in them.
PS - Be good and don't slow down the little ones too much. You'll be surprised how much walking there is to do especially when you're in a hurry.
PPS - At the Beast's castle, don't try the grey stuff. It's not that delicious.

Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience and your suggestions. Pepperoni sticks sound good.
We went two years ago with this same family and we learned right away that we could not keep up. It is my husband who slows us down. He needs to go to the bathroom really often. Thank goodness for cell phones.
I have been working out more recently and am hoping to be able to walk more without resting. I love to people watch so I can happily sit on a bench and wait for the younguns to do things I can't.

The adult children have made detailed plans this time, we have dinner and some lunch reservations. I have looked at menus for the places where I know we will be. I have only been LC for three months however. I know I will not be as low as I have been. I know I will cheat some. I am looking forward to seeing the new fantasyland as it was not open in 2013.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 15:18

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Pepperoni, salami, cheese, small tomatoes, nuts.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 20:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by omablue
I love to people watch so I can happily sit on a bench and wait for the younguns to do things I can't.

Epcot England my friend. Guinness is fairly lc, the waitress's are nice and the people walk by.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 14:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Gluing my eyes to this- i was gifted a 5 day stay st Disneyworld, in the WALDORF ASTORIA!!!!!!!!

I have most of my itinerary set and am not worried about the dinners- boyfriend and i plan to hit small grocer before leaving aiport area to stock our minifridge with soda, cheese, yogurts, veggies and dip, hardboiled eggs if we can find them, etc......plus champagne!
We will bring dry roasted edmame , pumpkin seeds and jerky for carrying around.....

This way, we have snack type stuff for breakfast and lunch- and then we have reservations each night for "Dunch"- dinner around 4-5pm.

Figure we will save $$$ and our wasitlines! So snacky stuff, a large early dinner, and more snacks later if we want- hmmmm, champagne and cheese plate by the hot tub? Why not?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 15:43

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

My guess is you are flying so that does make it more challenging. You have already gotten most of my best suggestions. If taking jerky - Perky Jerky does have sugar like most, but it is nitrate free and with no preservatives. For nuts, I like almonds and macs already measured out in little ziplock bags.
I have recently switched to the Quest bars from Atkins just for the reason you mentioned - sugar alcohols. You can get some of the Quest bars with no sugar alcohols at all - most have 20 grams of protein and around 17 grams of fiber. Expensive, but worth it.

As someone else pointed out, enjoy the trip regardless. You will be doing so much walking from waking up until going to bed, your body will give you a little freedom and you could come home lighter or at least the same even if your carb intake is a little higher than usual. Hope you have a great time.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 16:17

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Just remembered another easy pack - Starkist Tuna Creations. Small individual serving pouch, description "lightly marinated premium chunk light tuna". They come in different flavors - I like the ranch which 1 pouch is 80 calories with 1.5 carbs.

Another idea, if the trip is too long to take cheese easily, you could make cheese chips to take (nuke cheese to make your own cheese crackers, directions in recipe section)

Again, have fun!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 21:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quest bars have been mentioned. Personally I prefer Epic bars. They are essentially pemmican - meat and fruit, and some spices; no sugars, and not at all sweet. Have a wonderful trip!