Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 11:19

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/135/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 118%
Question swimming question

Does swimming make anyone else really, really hungry? I swim laps for 30 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a week, and when I'm done I swear I could eat an entire cow. And I stay hungrier all day.

I remember this from when I was kid too. Anyone else or is it just me? I also jog, walk, ride my bike and lift weights-- and nothing else affects me like this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 08:23
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

I get hungry too if I exercise to long and hard......so I don't. Under 55 minutes works just fine for me, but over that...starving.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 08:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think it's the colder temperature that does it. They say Olympic swimmers eat an incredible number of calories.

I would probably just eat more on swimming days.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Cro Magnon
Stats: 246/222/170 Male 6'4"
BF:34/30/10
Progress: 32%

yes ... havent done it for a while but I think its true somehow. I get quite hungry after swimming. So do my kids.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 13:14

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

30 minutes a few times a week is excellent! Do you vary up the different strokes?

This is kind of off topic, but I want to bring it up anyway. One thing that I've recently discovered is this thing called aqua aerobics. If you actually do all of the exercises they tell you to do, it can be a great full body workout. On the other hand, I've heard my friends who are instructors call it the "bob and chat" because a lot of people ignore the instructor and just float around, talking to their friends! It makes for a low pressure, social work-out atmosphere. I love it! Anyway, just thought I'd recommend that to you if you want to vary your routine.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 16:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I love water aerobics, it is aerobics and resistance training at the same time. I have a really tiny pool, above ground pool in my backyard and I use it for that almost daily. Seriously, it's only 30" deep but big enough I can do a lot of seated resistance exercises.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 11:28

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/135/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 118%

I did water aerobics and resistance training years ago when I was recovering from an injury and liked it. Hmmm- our pool does offer some classes too. Thanks for the idea.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 11:44

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I did water aerobics when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I loved it. Alot of the people were older, and they did the "bob and chat" thing. I asked the instructor once if it was really a work out and she said," you get out of it what you put into it." I put into it all I could, I can't say I lost any I was 7 -8 months pregant and all I did was eat!