Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 07:49

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Zero Q&A with Dr. Rhonda Patrick

Zero Q&A with Rhonda Patrick | January 2019 1-6-2019

We sat down with Dr. Rhonda Patrick to get answers to some of your frequently asked questions.

Interested in a specific topic? Jump to it here:

2:04
Can you discuss in further detail why you recommend a water-only fast versus consuming coffee or amino acids while in a fasted state? I am looking to optimize my morning workouts with amino acids or a caffeine boost and want to know what benefits I am potentially missing out on versus the benefits I likely still receive.

10:44
First of all, thanks for all that you do! You have changed my life. Is there any more evidence yet surrounding if having coffee, tea, supplements, etc. while fasting disrupts the benefits of fasting? What about electrolytes?

12:57
Has there been evidence that one method of fasting is better than others?

22:20
Will consumption of exogenous ketones disrupt a fasting state?

27:44
I practice a simple 12 hour eating window and a 24 hour fast once a week. My question is, are there any downsides to training fasted as I usually do? The exercises involved are heavy weight training and moderate cardio afterwards. Just wanted to know if I’m metabolically doing harm or having adverse effects on the intended goals. Thanks and much love to your work.

32:45
Can you elaborate on the growth-longevity trade off? By fasting we down-regulate the aging pathways such as mTOR, growth hormone, and IGF1, but in order to build muscle through resistance training we need to eat protein and have these pathways activated in order to maintain/build muscle. Is there a way we can get the best of both worlds? Is this trade off overstated? How so? Thank you!

42:09
The ideal way to break a fast; is there a method to the madness with macro timing as it pertains to glycogen levels, or is it fine to eat anything in particular once you reach your eating window?

45:09
Does caffeine interfere with autophagy?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 07:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Thanks, sounds very pertinent to me right now!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 14:57

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%

Watched the interview and it was illuminating. I had questions about the effect of cream in coffee and whether coffee would help or negate the benefits from fasting. Thank you for posting the link.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 17:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

wow, perfect timing!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-19, 19:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

After watching that video, I did my first fast (24 hours).
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-19, 05:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have found that fasts should be easy. If we do not settle into it once we have our salt sorted and doing it correctly, then bail. Our body is not ready.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-19, 13:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

So much good information to unpack in this interview. I am pleased to hear that ketones suppress the use of lean mass for energy, as this has been debated for quite some time, and I don't think the debate is over, but for my n=1, I find that fasting with only water and some electrolytes has no perceivable effect on my lean mass. I emphasize perceivable, as I'm not measuring changes in types of mass.

Also, information about IGF1 stimulated with consumption of protein coupled with the importance of IGF1 and the negative consequences of too much IGF1. I believe there are multiple factors at play here, as IGF1 is both essential and is often associated as an indicator of the presence of cancer. Given the active discussion on the optimum daily protein intake, I'm starting to view necessary protein consumption in the context of the food consumed. For those eating a SAD, increased protein consumption can be detrimental. For those eating low carb, I believe there's an an extended "healthy range" where in the presence of healthy whole foods, protein is beneficial. Coupled with fasting where IGF1 production is reduced, this quiescence period of no protein and no IGF1 production stimulates ketone production, autophagy, and stem cell regeneration. We require protein, but the quiescent period during a fast enables metabolic repairs. Once protein is consumed after a fast, IGF1 production ramps up and the rebuilding starts. It's only when one is consuming 3 meals a day plus multiple snacks that the system breaks down. We weren't meant to consume fuel like that.

Edited to correct acronym.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Feb-20-19 at 07:35.