Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 229/229/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Sunny Spain may be right

In my last post I mentioned i had problems with doing this WOL,but Sunny Spain said that after 3 weeks if its not working I should probably try something else,so does any one think I should try a LOW CALORIE/LOW FAT diet instead of this Atkins diet.Is this for everyone or should I flip the script,because i've never tried a low calorie diet,and I seen that 800-1000 calories a day would make me lose 3-5 pounds a week??????suggestions
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Gosh...I don't know your history with Atkins, but it would take trying just about everything before I would switch. In fact...I may not switch even if I had tried everything just because I feel so good...lol.

That being said...have you posted your menus for others to comments on? Have you checked to make sure you don't have yeast? Have you tried the Fat Fast if you are truly metobolically resistant?

I hate to see anyone go on low fat because I know they will have to lose that same weight many times in their lifetime and will also be hungry all the time.

L
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:07

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

So wait... you're saying that three weeks is your time limit for this way of eating? I don't know. I've seen a lot of people stall for much longer and eventually reach their goal with low carb.

It seems like you're expecting quick weight loss which, by the way, is not healthy. Low carb is not a quick weight loss plan, although can work that way for some. Personally, I think low cal plans mess with your metabolism even more, making long-term weight loss virtually impossible.

In answer to "Is this for everyone?" I'd say probably not, but I don't really think three weeks is a decent shot at it. Just my opinion. I also happen to believe that low calorie, especially so low your body can't even nourish its resting state, is good for NO ONE.

Maybe you could look into a different plan if you're anxious, but whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend going below 1000-1200 calories. It's just not good for you body at all.

Hope you find something that works... but keep it healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I seen that 800-1000 calories a day would make me lose 3-5 pounds a week??????

Well...there's certainly no guarantees that a diet of 800-1000 calories will make you loose 3-5 pounds a week. What I can practically guarantee you will happen is that you'll seriously mess up your metabolism and make it even harder to loose and maintain even if you are successful at losing that quickly.
I'm curious why you would be so anxious to loose weight at that pace that you'd be willing to starve yourself and risk a permanently lowered metabolism to achieve that? Starvation diets have the added bonus of making you loose more muscle along with the fat than if you were loosing weight getting an adequate amount of protein and calories. Less muscle also means a lower metabolism. Believe me, that is something that you don't want.
Chenise...you didn't gain all this weight overnight or even over the period of a few months. You can't expect to loose it that way either and remain healthy.
With all due respect to SunnySpain, 3 weeks isn't nearly enough time to determine is something is or is not working for you. I'd advise you to give it a minimum of 6-8 weeks following the plan by the book (no cheats, no tweaking) before you make any decisions.
Ultimately, whatever plan you choose to loose weight is up to you, but please consider your health first and don't endanger it through extreme dieting.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

What gives? In another post today you thanked everyone for suggestions and said you were going to try everything everyone suggested and lose the weight. Of course, whatever you choose to do is totally up to you, but whatever you pick, you will have to commit fully to the effort. Low-carb isn't for everybody, but I can tell you from experience that 800 - 1000 calories per day will leave you extremely hungry, perhaps even malnurished. You may lose weight at first but it will be tough to maintain over time. On that severe a calorie restriction some people's metabolism just shuts down and burns fewer and fewer calories trying to preserve itself from starvation.

Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:08
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Have you read my link about "documentary on Atkins" below?

I know last time I posted you I did ask you to please read it.
You will do as you want, but lowcalorie doesn not work and we all know why: the answer is in the link and here
alina

Last edited by Alina : Wed, Apr-02-03 at 22:17.