Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 09:16

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Post New Again? Re-Introduction

When I logged in today, the forum said the last time I logged in was April 2016!

So I thought I should re-introduce myself, and talk a bit about what I am dealing with now.

In January 2012 I weighed my max weight at 246.8 and decided to start the LCHF diet. I began posting on the forum and found it a wonderful help and support.

It took me about 2 years, but I lost 92 lbs! My lowest weight was 154.8 lbs. Yay! You can read my success story here - https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...11&page=1&pp=15

However, I suck at diet maintenance, plus dealing with a two-year-long bout of shortness of breath from walking more than a few steps, and severe arthritis in my shoulder, making it difficult to sleep - and yes, feeling very sorry for myself, sadly I put it all back on. I maxed out at 245.8 again...

So I got the shortness of breath in control, and my shoulder replaced, and I have been trying very hard to get back to my LCHF diet. I lost 20 lbs. Then I had Covid-19 for 12 weeks, and that really knocked me off my feet!

I know I can do it, I have done it before, despite having a ton of allergies, that made many of the low-carb foods off-limits for me. But I created my own list of foods I COULD eat - and I stuck to it.

So now we add a new wrinkle... My gallbladder is acting up, and I cannot eat hardly any fat - or I get severe diarrhea. Plus I am now allergic to the eggs that were a staple of my diet the first time around.

So did that mean I had to give up the LCHF diet? Nothing other than low carb will help me lose weight.

I did some research online and found several sites saying YES, you CAN do Keto and low fat - so I figure I just have to work out what works for me.

Right now my goal is 50g fat and 50 grams of net carbs a day - although right now, I am at 30g fat and still experiencing symptoms.

I am not going to go as low carb as I did last time (10-12g net carbs), and yet it does seem to be working so far. I have lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks.

However, if anyone has experience with gallbladder and low carbs and knows more, I welcome any and all advice.

Last edited by CWatt : Mon, Jun-15-20 at 10:01. Reason: weight change
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 09:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back!

Eating low fat is the conventional advice...and studies indicate that does not work...

"How to get gallstones
If you eat low fat less bile is needed to digest your food. More bile thus stays in the gallbladder. Long enough, perhaps, for stones to form. It’s been shown that people who (instead of fat) eat more carbohydrates are at increased risk of gallstones.

It all sounds logical. And there is even better evidence. The risk of low fat diets have been tested at least three times:" See the studies in this good article:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

Dr. Westman explains Gallbladder disease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMKKnZnVc1k
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 10:16

BF:

Thanks Janet! I did see that article, and it does make sense - too low and you create new gallstones. However, they were talking about extremely low fat (as low as 1g of fat). My goal is 50g of fat, and if I can eat more, I will.

"It’s been shown that people who (instead of fat) eat more carbohydrates are at increased risk of gallstones." That makes sense too, but I am going to eat low carb, not replace the fat with carbs.

The verdict is out if I even have gallstones. I did not have them the last time they checked. More medical tests to follow.

After a horrendous few days, I feel the need to be very gentle with my body and listen to it very carefully. I am going to focus on high-quality fats, and see how high fat I can go without symptoms. This week has a disaster since I am still experiencing symptoms, and struggling to find a balance.

Too few calories, eating about 70 net carbs, and at 30g still too low fat. But my only other choice is to keep gaining weight, so I am willing to experiment.

Last edited by CWatt : Mon, Jun-15-20 at 11:48.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 11:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome back. You have had a trying time. All success this time around.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 11:47

BF:

Thanks ESW!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 12:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Welcome back

There are several of us here who got to goal, maintained for a while, put the weight back on, but have returned to start again, so you're in good company!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 12:26

BF:

Thanks Demi!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 13:35

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Welcome back! You are far from alone in the problem of gaining back! And the struggles with food due to health problems and other stressors are all too real. I can't seem to tolerate dairy, very much fat, no bacon or cheese etc., and fresh salads often set me off. It's leaky gut.......I lost about 100 pounds a few years back and then went up and down 40 or 50 pounds....I actually was here briefly in 2016 and VERY briefly in 2018.....Came back in Jan. of this year......I empathize!

And congratulations on the 13 pound loss!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 13:36

BF:

Thanks DK Swan!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 17:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

I regained half my losses but restarted last October and am back on the path to Onederland. We started at close to the same weight (this time--first time I was close to 300) and as far as gall bladder goes-- I had mine out and it solved all my problems. I could go back to low carb and high fat with no problem. It ended years of struggling to keep the symptoms away by diet.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-20, 08:26

BF:

Thanks GZGirl - that's interesting. I am wondering if I am going to need to get my gallbladder removed. My bilrubin levels are climbing - not a good sign.

Last edited by CWatt : Thu, Jun-18-20 at 08:55.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 13:13

BF:

So it turned out it wasn't my gall bladder. Still not sure what, might be an after-effect of Covid-19.

I am slowly adding more fat into my diet, still having side effects but not as bad as at first when I couldn't even manage 30g without severe distress.

And I got my carbs down to 21-25 net carbs a day!

Despite all, I am still losing weight - up to 26 lbs lost now!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 13:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Congrats on the weight loss! I had severe gallbladder-like symptoms about a dozen years ago. I couldn't eat ANY fat. I mean ANY. If a 1/4 tsp of olive oil crossed my lips I was in agony for hours. I lived mainly on carrot juice and beet juice for weeks, as any whole food that included the least bit of fat had me ready to shoot myself from the pain. Yet all my gallbladder tests (and other tests, for pancreas, etc) were all perfectly normal.

Anyway, doctors never did determine a cause, as in so many other weird health issues I've had over the years, but I found that if I take milk thistle capsules the pain went away. I took them daily for months and was eventually fine. Then I cut back, but I still keep a bottle around and if I feel the least twinge I take the capsules again and it seems to help.

Sorry about all you have had to deal with. Glad you are on the mend from Covid.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 14:54

BF:

Interesting! That's how I was at the beginning of this. I could not tolerate any fat at all. But I have been taking Milkthistle for about a year already. Maybe I am not taking enough?

I did add digestive enzymes and and probiotics. Added sauerkraut and yogurt. It's been slow, and the pain is still there, but I believe I am getting better.