Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/146/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Toned vs. Bulk muscles..fine line?

Hi Everyone.

trying to read all these posts and getting a little overloaded and confusion is setting in

O.k so I want to do my weight training, but should I worry about getting bulky muscles
What differentiates between well toned and becoming muscular?
What is the line you cross ? Or should I say how do i avoid crossing that line so I still look feminine?

I've always had a tendancy to have large thighs. Not just when I was overweight but before my weight problems began. When I was active I always had these muscular looking thighs so I presume that's my genetic makeup right? So live with that I guess, but how do I prevent this happening from the rest of my body as my workouts get more intense?

Thanks for your wise advise...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:34

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default links to other posts ...

Your question is answered in these past posts ... check 'em out ...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/t6484.html

http://forum.lowcarber.org/t17412.html

excerpt from that post ...

7. The Fear of Iron.

- Women fear muscle. Most women these days fear muscle; they "don’t want to get big." This is, of course, the most common fallacy I have experienced amongst the female populace. While this fear is partially founded in cultural and sociological influences, it also reveals a lack of realism. Women do not have the same levels of testosterone, the primary hormone that is required for increases in muscle size, and consequently will not gain excessive muscle mass.

- Women fear weight training. Lifting weights historically has been associated with men and big muscles. Interestingly, after women tell me they don’t want to get ‘big’ and they are asked if they want to get stronger, the answer is nearly always, "Yes." Women need to be educated on the benefits of weight training and the favorable changes it can have on the body and the mind. Gaining strength does not require having massive muscles.

- Women want to "tone." Most women do not fully understand what that term means. Since they hear and see it used repeatedly in the media, they think that is what they should be doing: toning. However, most women have no definite conception of what the term means. The term ‘toning’ is erroneously applied to doing countless repetitions with a submaximal weight that does not incrementally challenge the muscle. The weight must be progressively increased for muscles to change and get stronger. Increasing the resistance the muscle must move increases strength or muscle mass.

- Complete reliance on circuit-training machines. Many individuals think that circuit-training machines are all that is necessary for weight training. While they have their place for beginners and individuals with physical limitations, most of the machines do not provide compression loading for increasing bone mineral density, which is important for reducing the risk of osteoporosis. Nor do they incorporate instability to increase a person’s balance and stability, which is required in most daily activities and sports performance.

- Intimidation. Because the free weights are associated with men, many women are unfortunately too intimidated to venture into the free weight area and use free weights. Many men respect the desire and commitment of women who weight train and are generally helpful in imparting advice on exercises.

{side note from Dan: Just be sure that you brush up on gym ettiquette before venturing into the weight room. If you "play by the rules" you will get fewer "glares" from the men. Maybe I will write a little article on that ...}
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rachel, women really don't have to worry about bulking up - it's not something that happens naturally to us. It takes a lot of work, heavy lifting and the help of some drugs.

The word 'toned' means so many different things and is used so often in the media that it doesnt really mean anything anymore.

To obtain muscle definition you have to a) lose body fat and b) work that muscle.

Muscles grow by being stressed - by lifting and lowering a weight that causes the muscle to tear and rebuild itself. The most effect way to do this is to work your muscles to failure - a series of repetitions (usually 3 - 5) with progressively increasing weights until you are no longer able to lift without breaking form.

You may have larger than average thighs, but by working them in this manner they will be firm and appear smaller - quadriceps are also among the largest muscles in the body, and a muscle's favoured source of fuel is fat.

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 13:08
Registered Member

Stats: 160/146/120
BF:
Progress: 35%

Dan and Nat...thanks so much for clarifying this for me . I like many was thinking everything in the wrong fashion.
You've answered my question and then some, a real good read. Those links were informative too and glad I asked.
Gee now I feel like I can take on the world!

Rachel....on her way to pump herself up!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 18:38

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

My wife joined me after just about 1 week of dieting. She, as the rest of her family, have characteristic of thicker thighs and buttocks. Overweight or not, it followed her everywhere, never changed.

Until now. This diet went looking and found the extra stores. She is definitely a different shape than other family members, and is ecstatic. It blew her away.

Wishing you the same.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 17:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default good stuff

Thanks LCinNW ... good input ... Your comment is a good motivator for many out there.