Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 00:58

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%
Default Strange Diets

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/d...&pagewanted=all

Here is a man who mostly seems to live on candy. None of us would recommend it, and I with diabetes simply could not do it. But we need to acknowledge that people have survived and thrived on a whole variety of what seems to be extreme diets. In the article is mentioned a girl who ate only white bread and fruit.

I would be aghast had my kids chosen this diet. But then I also would not have been able to face continued projectile vomiting and fighting either.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 05:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Even more examples that being fat is in a huge part luck of the draw, not being lazy or weak.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 09:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember a boy who died a few years back who would eat nothing but a few odd items. It did catch up to him.

Also it seems like these articles oversimplify whether or not someone is healthy by a flow chart that looks like this:

Are the alive? ---> Yes ---> Are they not too fat? ---> Yes ---> They're healthy!

We can't really tell until someone dies whether or not they were actually healthy, or at least put them through a lot of medical tests.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 16:42

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I remember a boy who died a few years back who would eat nothing but a few odd items. It did catch up to him.

Also it seems like these articles oversimplify whether or not someone is healthy by a flow chart that looks like this:

Are the alive? ---> Yes ---> Are they not too fat? ---> Yes ---> They're healthy!

We can't really tell until someone dies whether or not they were actually healthy, or at least put them through a lot of medical tests.

I guess they've never heard of the term "skinny fat." Since I know a lot of computer nerds I know a lot of skinny fats! They look rail thin, but they aren't exactly healthy and their little bloated bellies betray them.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 17:44

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

The new Toddler Miracle Diet, used by millions of trim toddlers the world over!!!

DAY ONE
Breakfast - One scrambled egg, one piece of toast with grape jelly. Eat 2 bites of egg, using your fingers; dump the rest on the floor. Take 1 bite of toast, then smear the jelly over your face and clothes.
Lunch - Four crayons (any color), a handful of potato chips, and a glass of milk (3 sips only, then spill the rest).
Dinner - A dry stick, two pennies and a nickel, 4 sips of stale beer.
Bedtime Snack - Toast piece of bread and toss it on the kitchen floor.

DAY TWO
Breakfast - Pick up stale toast from kitchen floor and eat it. Drink half bottle of vanilla extract or one vial of vegetable dye.
Lunch - Half a tube of "Pulsating Pink" lipstick and a cigarette (to be eaten, not smoked). One ice cube, if desired.
Afternoon Snack - Lick an all-day sucker until sticky, take outside, drop in dirt. Retrieve and continue slurping until it is clean again. Then bring inside and drop on the rug.
Dinner - A rock or an uncooked bean, which should be thrust up your left nostril. Pour iced tea over mashed potatoes; eat with a spoon.

DAY THREE
Breakfast - Two pancakes with plenty of syrup, eat with fingers, rub in hair. Glass of milk: drink half, stuff pancakes in glass. After breakfast, pick up yesterday's sucker from rug, lick off fuzz, and put it on the cushion of your best chair.
Lunch - Three matches, peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. Spit several bites onto the floor. Pour glass of milk on table and slurp up.
Dinner - Dish of ice cream, handful of potato chips, some wine, coffee.

FINAL DAY
Breakfast - A quarter-tube of toothpaste (any flavor), bit of soap, an olive. Pour a glass of milk over bowl of cornflakes, add a half-cup of sugar. Once cereal is soggy, drink milk and feed cereal to dog.
Lunch - Eat crumbs off kitchen floor and dining room carpet. Find that sucker and finish eating it.
Dinner - A glass of spaghetti and chocolate milk. Leave meatball on plate. Stick of mascara for dessert.'

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Oct-29-09 at 00:02.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 19:51

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

My father in law was a perfect example of this. He had several heart attacks, was diabetic, ate a terrible diet of sugar and refined carbs but was NEVER overweight his entire life. He died this past March at age 59 due to renal failure.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 19:56

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

First, let's see his teeth Second he also eats dry roasted peanuts, not exactly a health food but not exactly candy.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 19:59

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hey BoBoGuy, I may have to repost that diet. Chuckle of the day.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 20:07
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

That was hilarious BoBoGuy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 20:39

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

BoBo, are you channeling Erma Bombeck? That was hilarious!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 20:41

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

That was me. My wife was using my computer again...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 22:42

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
That was me. My wife was using my computer again...

Yeah right! That's what they all say when their wife says something brighter than what they had planned!

I'm with the rest Boboguy - that was great! I can almost remember my kids eating like that and, what the hell! .... they survived!!! Not only that, they're intelligent and successful ... son's a popular local jazz musician (performing and teaching) and daughter's a school teacher. I figure that makes me a success!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 09:30

Plan: protein power
Stats: 210/175/160 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

hahaha that is hilarious... Id like to follow this diet hah
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 13:04

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hmm, BoBo, were you spying on my kids when they were toddlers? LOL
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 13:37

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

On a more serious note, the way Paul Rudnick eats is the way I ate growing up as a child...and pretty much the way my parents still eat, except that these past few years, they have suddenly gotten into eating lots of salads. In fact, I'd say that Paul Rudnick eats healthier than my family did back in the 60's and 70's...we never got peanuts or things like that. We mostly ate wonder bread, marshmallows, kool-aid and other similar things...and our only "healthy" food was milk.

(Probably why, despite my mostly being Paleo, I won't give up dairy...I feel like it was the food that saved me...my only sibling who hated milk has SO many health problems and is a good seven or eight inches shorter than me...)

Anyway, I do think the body can survive on almost anything with calories...but what I'd like to see is Mr. Rudnick in another ten or twenty years down the road....I can hardly believe his blood sugar is perfectly normal....as a child on a sugary diet, I fainted a lot and had lots of dizzy spells. Never saw a doctor or had it checked (despite the school's and neighbors concerns), but now that I eat healthy, I feel so much better than I ever did as a kid.

Okay, let's all bookmark the page on Paul Rudnick and check back on him in ten years and see where he is with his health...