Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-20, 09:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Week 4 of GLC+50 (Week 18) in the books, and the scale says.....186.4. Down 1 lb. from last week, which I am quite pleased with (and the 2nd lowest scale reading for over 25 years). This weigh-in may have been aided by some good timing, but I will take it.

This last week I spent my extra carbs on 1 pack ramen, 1 cup rice, 1 egg mcmuffin, and 1 small pizza, and maxed out my 350 carbs by Friday evening (Yes, you all playing at home have probably added up the carbs and realized I went over). So, the week was going well until Friday, when the DW and I went on a hike with my sister and her DH (Old Rag Mtn, VA). We had to leave the house a little early, so I grabbed an egg McMuffin and coffee (30 carbs) during the 1.5 hour drive to the trailhead. Did the 10 mile hike, and was returning home around 5:30, and the DW and I decided we did not want to cook so we ordered pizza. Bottom line, I got my small pizza and ate the whole thing for dinner..280ish carbs, and my carb allowance was shot. It was really good (sausage, banana peppers and black olives), mind you, but I should have shown some self control and saved at least 2 pieces for the next day.

The rest of my food was a typical mix of meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts, cheese, with my beer/wine allowance.

My workouts have been going fairly well. Did a run, the hike, 4 lifting sessions, and my AM pushups/plank on 6 of 7 days. The shoulder has been better this past week, and I think the lifting regimen is good for me and I have it down to 1 hour.

So I have completed my 4 week trial with GLC+50, supplemented with a good exercise regimen, and it appears I can maintain my weight, or even drift down doing this. So the next step is to move up to GLC+75, but I am going postpone this move until after my son's visit at Christmas, because I plan to greatly relax my eating discipline for those 13 days, and just enjoy the time with him. I will keep at the +50, hopefully lose another 1 or 2 pounds, and then pick up again on January 3rd after I drop him off at the airport.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-20, 10:29

BF:

Week5 of GLC+50 (Week 19) in the books, and the scale says.....188.2. Up 1.8 from the last weigh-in....not great, but not unexpected. Although the mirror said I was still in a good place, I knew the scale would tell a slightly less glorious tale.

(Musings - Isn't it weird how when you have not been good you dread getting on the scale, and try to lightly step on it so that it provides more favorable feedback? I sometimes peer at it out of the corner of my eyes, as if that might change the reading. Stepping on the scale should be straight forward, simple, clinical, just an objective measurement, but I still dread it most times. I normally start thinking about it the day before, and thinking of ways to get the scale to show me what I want (as I weigh myself weekly))

It was the week of Thanksgiving, and although I ate less carbs than in the past, I did have stuffing, a few pieces of cake, a couple small cookies, and a few non-low carb beers. I mostly met my goal of having no more than 50 extra carbs per day, but I did stray some. The next 2.5 weeks I will be better, but to be honest, this will probably be a slow slide until life returns to normal after January 3rd, and I am OK with that. I feel I have done the heavy lifting to put myself in a position to relax when my son visits 12/18-1/3, and although I am confident I will maintain some control, I am also confident I can jump right back in the saddle and repair the damage done.

Workouts in the weight room have been good, but I have found excuses not to run, which is not good. Shoulder is holding up acceptably. The colder weather definitely makes it harder to get motivated to get outside. I have been doing work outside cleaning up along the fence line, so in my mind I have justified my lack of running. Sometimes I wish there was a pill you could take that would have the same benefits as a hard workout (although I always feel good, and pleased with myself, when I knock out the days lifting routine).

OK, well off on another week. Today I had some cheese and almonds for breakfast as I had an optometrist appointment so no time for eggs, and for lunch I am going to cube some sirloin and stir fry it up, probably with a salad. Steak for dinner. Less than 6 days and I get on the scale again:-)
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-20, 17:24

BF:

It may seem strange, but I really enjoy the process and challenge of losing weight. I like the focus that it brings, and I relish the discipline that is required in a diet to achieve results. (Of course, I also kinda enjoyed the whole process of getting ready for a colonoscopy, as it required personal discipline and commitment) (Think it may be a military thing)

The maintenance part I enjoy much less. In my mind I have arrived at the top of the mountain, so it is time to come down. I feel that I should be rewarded for doing good, by eating the foods that I have previously enjoyed but have abstained from for countless weeks. I can not seem to get to the place mentally where I 'accept' extremely low carb as my new normal, as many of you have. Maybe that is because at most I was 45 lbs overweight, or maybe that is because I have been fortunate enough to have no medically issues related to being overweight or tied to eating.

I do think I am at a place where I will never again find myself sitting on the couch with a bag of chips grazing for an hour, but I am unsure if I can consistently maintain my weight. I may be destined to yo-yo between 200 and 185, which I can live with (200 really needs to be the ceiling). As I stated in the beginning of this musing, I enjoy the process of losing weight, so having to spend a few months disciplined each year may be my destiny.

This is not meant to signal that I am abandoning my discipline, but it is an acknowledgement that I may stray considerably, especially over the holidays when my son is home, and I may need to climb the last 1000 feet to the summit again in the near future.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-20, 18:25

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
The maintenance part I enjoy much less. In my mind I have arrived at the top of the mountain, so it is time to come down. I feel that I should be rewarded for doing good, by eating the foods that I have previously enjoyed but have abstained from for countless weeks. I can not seem to get to the place mentally where I 'accept' extremely low carb as my new normal, as many of you have.

i think this is pretty normal. Some folks, like me, that have pushed the food abuse over the cliff, down the road and under the rug need to, i believe at some point, come to grips with the acceptance part. and when that happened for me a great burden was lifted as well as a few pounds of flab.

i’m enjoying your path exploring and thanks for posting!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-20, 07:45

BF:

Powerful message that comes out of the GoRuck Pre-Selection going on now, which is very applicable to those of us here:

'The greatest source of unhappiness comes when people trade what they want most for what they want in the moment.

Choose the harder path.'
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-20, 08:07

BF:

Week 6 of GLC+50+ (Week 20) in the books, and the scale says.....187.6. Down .6 from the last weigh-in. I am OK with that, although timing I think played a part in it. Guess it is best not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The 7 days of eating was much better than some, but holiday inconsistencies are making their mark. For instance, a woman whose dog my wife grooms brought over some cookies. They were small cookies...you all can see where this goes. So since they were small cookies, having a few would not be a big deal...maybe one more....heck, only 2 more in the container, might as well finish them. That conversation with myself was over the 5 days the cookies lasted, but the end result is I had a few cookies, and a few more than I wanted to. it is fascinating how one can rationalize a 'small' cookie as being somehow less bad than a large cookie.

I also had a fair amount of ramen noodles for lunch with a healthy dose of a protein and onions. I am a big fan of soup, especially on these colder days, so this is kinda my go to lunch if there is leftover protein in the fridge.

All in, I probably averaged somewhere between 75 and 100 grams of 'bad' carbs a day this past 7. The scale did not show the damage, but I know it will catch up with me.

The workouts went well this past 7, except that I slacked on cardio again, although I did do some good yardwork and a bit of hunting that I count as exercise other than lifting. I am hitting it pretty hard with the weights, working to increase the amount of weight across the range of exercises. The shoulder is still holding together, as is the back under the load of hex dead lifts.

The next 7 days I hope to be a little more disciplined, work out hard, and generally get ready for my holiday break. 10 days and my son comes home for holiday block leave and I get off for the rest of the year. I suspect next week's post will be my last for 2020, then I will go dark for a few as I kick back with the family over the holidays, checking back in probably the 2nd week of January with tales of poor eating choices, fun times, and a number on the scale I am not pleased with but working to address.

Last edited by Sniggle : Wed, Dec-09-20 at 08:40.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-21, 11:47

BF:

Checking back in after a month of holiday spirit, having my son home, and related eating and drinking debauchery.

It was great to have Dylan with us for Christmas, after not seeing him for 5 months since we turned him over to uncle Sam on July 21. As planned, his 17 days with us included some good beer, a mix of foods to include pizza, oysters, steaks, prime rib, tacos, drunken noodles, bread, desserts, etc. I consciously abandoned all low carb discipline and just enjoyed eating and drinking with him during his R & R. We did work out during stay, mostly lifting, and it was great to have a spotter for bench:-)

We dropped him off at the airport for his return on the 3rd, and after finishing a few carby leftovers I have gotten mostly on track since the 4th. The only lingering temptation is a dwindling box of Godiva chocolate, that I am dutifully nibble away at until it is gone.

Based on the pants and mirror test, I do not think I did too much damage, maybe a few pounds. I will not get on the scale for a few weeks, until the mirror tells me I have repaired most of the damage.

Overall, no regrets at all.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-22, 11:13

BF:

Hello again all, and Happy New Year!!!

Another New Year, and time once again to get rid of last year's fat that I accumulated through poor eating habits, mostly in the last 6 months. Lots of the damage was done during the two 2-week visits when my son was on leave, where I attempted to eat and drink like a 19-year old. It was fun, but I was quite ready to return to low carb ways when he returned to his unit on 1/2.

Where I stand at present is around 210+, but I am holding off on stepping on a scale until the end of January...just because. I know I am below 220 because my 36 waist pants still fit OK, but they would not abide much more weight gain:-).

The plan is to probably do 2-3 months of very low carb to get below 190, and then moderate some (and then probably fall off the wagon again and be back here in the confessional next year this time:-) I am looking forward to this...as I enjoy the challenge associated with the weight loss.

Good news is my workout routine has been going well, and I have kept injury free all last year (knock on wood). I am lifting 4 days a week for approx. 45 minutes, then doing some leg/cardio/core for 15 minutes (Got my bench up to 250...not too shabby for an almost 58 year old guy...and only 35 shy of my bench PR when I was 21). On 2 of the non-lifting days I am rucking 2-4 miles with a 70# ruck. I am also trying to do 50+ pushups every day this year.

Time to get some meat and salad for lunch. Thanks to the community for being here!!
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-22, 15:15

BF:

5 days in, and all goes well. Have been feeling a bit low energy the last 1.5 days...as expected as my body tries to figure out what is going on. Have lifted this week (heading down to lift in 5 minutes), and it goes pretty much the same, but I do find myself struggling a little bit towards the end of the session.

Heart burn/acid reflux has all but gone away, as it has the other times I have gone low carb/ no beer. Amazing that. Have not been very hungry between meals, but did have a cheese stick before dinner yesterday and some pork rinds at around 3 PM today.

My wife is also dieting, but I have been unable to convince her to go low carb. She signed up for Nutrisystem for 2 months. I will keep her on track, but I warned her it is a low calorie diet that will leave her hungry. She only has 10 lbs to drop, so if she sticks to their plan she should be where she wants to be when the plan ends.

OK, down to the basement to lift.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-22, 18:20

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Welcome back, glad you got to spend some quality 19yo time with your son. rock and Roll!