Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 01:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dr Briffa: Selenium may be vital to your diet

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
14 July, 2012

Selenium may be vital to your diet

There’s one vital nutrient, of critical importance to our long-term health, that our diet may not be providing enough of, says John Briffa

Many of us make an effort to eat varied, wholesome foods. But there’s one vital nutrient, of critical importance to our long-term health, that our diet may not be providing enough of. Studies show that selenium, a trace mineral, may ward off cancer, protect against thyroid problems and enhance fertility and brain function. Unfortunately, we Brits tend to be chronically deficient in selenium, and our health may be suffering as a result.

Even though selenium is only required in tiny amounts, it is an essential component in more than two dozen “selenoproteins” — substances that play a critical role in the regulation and maintenance of our health (genetic glitches in selenoproteins give rise to an elevated risk of conditions including heart disease and cancer). Studies have linked low selenium levels with a risk of chronic health issues and a heightened risk of several cancers, including those of the lung, bladder and prostate.

We need to be cautious when interpreting the results of these so-called “epidemiological” studies: while higher levels of selenium are linked to a reduced cancer risk, we cannot conclude from this that selenium protects against cancer. It might be, for instance, that individuals with better overall health also eat better diets richer in selenium. It is also possible for disease processes to effectively deplete the body of selenium (in which case, cancer might cause low selenium rather than the other way round).

However, there is evidence that suggests selenium might be genuinely cancer-protective, for men at least. In a seminal study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association, more than 1,300 men and women with a previous history of relatively harmless skin cancer (that is, other than melanoma) were treated with 200 micrograms of selenium or a placebo for about 4½ years.

Selenium supplementation was found to reduce the overall risk of cancer by 25 per cent in men, and more than halved the risk of prostate cancer. The beneficial effects were apparent only in those who started the study with lower selenium levels in their bodies. It seems that the men who benefited from selenium supplementation were the ones who needed it most.

Selenium’s role in health appears to extend well beyond any effects it might have on cancer. For example, selenium supplementation has been found to enhance the function of key elements in the immune system. Other evidence suggests that it is key to male fertility; in one study 100g of selenium daily improved sperm motility in infertile men.

Selenium also plays a role in the functioning of the thyroid gland, which governs our metabolism. In particular, selenium assists the transformation of the main hormone made by the thyroid (T4) into its more active form (T3). Selenium supplementation has also been found to be beneficial in the treatment of the thyroid conditions Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (a common form of low thyroid function) and Graves’ disease (a form of high thyroid function). Not only that but evidence suggests that selenium has some ability to prevent seizures, Parkinson’s disease and dementia.

Certain selenoproteins can protect against processes that are likely to increase the risk of heart disease and heart attacks such as “oxidative damage” of blood fats, inflammation and blood clotting. Higher selenium levels are associated with a reduced risk of heart disease. However, thus far, selenium supplementation has failed to deliver on its promise in the form of reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. Much of this evidence, though, comes from the US, where individuals tend to have good levels of selenium by virtue of a selenium-rich diet.

Selenium supplementation is unlikely to benefit those whose bodies already have enough of it, and some researchers have even sounded caution here. It turns out that the relationship between selenium levels and overall risk of death is U-shaped: in one major study, mortality “bottomed out” at blood levels of 135 micrograms per litre, but mortality rose as levels dropped or increased from this point. Again, the nature of this evidence (epidemiological) makes it difficult to draw firm conclusions from it. However, it seems likely that, as with most things, while too little selenium is a bad thing, too much may well be undesirable too.

One of the reasons Americans have relatively high levels of selenium is due to the wheat in North America being selenium rich. We used to import a lot, but over the past 40 years or so we’ve been reducing this steadily as we rely more on wheat grown closer to home — which is, unfortunately, low in selenium. It is interesting that average body selenium levels in the US approximately coincide with those associated with the lowest risk of death. However, our selenium levels are considerably lower in the UK.

In Britain, we should emphasise selenium-rich foods in our diet, including organ meats (eg, liver and kidney), meat, fish and brazil nuts. The appropriateness of supplementation is likely to depend on your own levels. A recent review in The Lancet medical journal concluded that individuals with selenium levels of 122 micrograms per litre or higher should not supplement. This would count out most Americans but hardly any Britons. For those for whom supplementation is appropriate, daily doses of 100-200 micrograms appear to give the optimum benefits.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/healt...icle3474082.ece
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 12:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Eggs are high in selenium too. In fact, whenever I eat 4 eggs my software (Diet Power) tells me to "get less selenium", since I'm approaching 2X the RDA in only one meal. I don't listen.

Hmmm. Before I went vLC/HF I had borderline low thyroid levels, was always cold and my usual body temperature was 96.8F, ~2F below normal. I even tried 3 thermometers before realizing that was "normal" for me during 25 years of high carb low calorie diets. I didn't have this problem before I went on low cal low fat diets, but didn't realize the association at the time.

After ~3 months of vLC/HF, I stopped feeling cold and my usual body temperature rose and remains at 98.6F. I didn't have thyroid tests until ~12 mos on vLC, but the levels rose to and remain in the mid-normal range. All I did was lose the junk and eat real food, including the meat, eggs, organ meats, brazil nuts etc. demonized by governments & nutritionists.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jul-14-12 at 13:05.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 16:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I'm still wary of brazil nuts. A single nut provides 1000 mg. of inflammatory omega-6 fats. Given that we need about 0.5% (at most) of our calories from these fats each day, that's your entire requirement in a single food item. I fear that if I were to eat one brazil nut daily, I'd be setting myself up for problems with inflammatory conditions, since I eat other sources of omega-6 (canola-oil-based mayo and salad dressings, dark meat chicken).

I would love to learn that food-based sources of O-6 fats (other than vegetable oils) aren't as harmful as those from vegetable oils, but until then, I'm leaving all nuts alone.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-12, 11:53
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I'm still wary of brazil nuts. A single nut provides 1000 mg. of inflammatory omega-6 fats. Given that we need about 0.5% (at most) of our calories from these fats each day, that's your entire requirement in a single food item. I fear that if I were to eat one brazil nut daily, I'd be setting myself up for problems with inflammatory conditions, since I eat other sources of omega-6 (canola-oil-based mayo and salad dressings, dark meat chicken).

I would love to learn that food-based sources of O-6 fats (other than vegetable oils) aren't as harmful as those from vegetable oils, but until then, I'm leaving all nuts alone.
Again, just what I needed to hear
I have been eating several Brazil nuts every morning for over a year. I did notice my new jar of Dukes Mayonnaise, the only sugar-free one I could find to switch to, claims 650 mg Omega-III fats per serving.