Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-23, 09:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
The only people who are buying it at those prices are the ones who are guilted into it by their vegan ideology, and a desperate craving for something similar to real meat.

Real food has a steadily diminishing percentage in the concoctions in 80% of the grocery store. The first TV dinners were real frozen foods on an airline tray. I've been reading ingredients lists (which those tv dinners didn't have!) since 2003 and they just get longer and less decipherable.

Here's the ingredients list for the fake meat which might or might not be on the thread somewhere:

Quote:
Here are some things you might not know are in that veggie burger:

Tertiary butylhydroquinone. TBHQ is a synthetic preservative that prevents discoloration in processed foods. The FDA limits the amount of TBHQ allowed in foods because studies of laboratory animals has found an association with TBHQ and cancer.

Magnesium carbonate. Remember when some bread was accused of having a yoga mat chemical? Well, magnesium carbonate, used in foods to retain color, is also used in flooring, fireproofing, and fire-extinguishing compounds.
Erythosine (Red #3). Red #3 is an artificial food coloring. The FDA banned the use of Red #3 in products such as cosmetics in 1990 after high doses of the substance were linked to cancer. But it can still be used in foods like fake meat.

Propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is an odorless, colorless liquid used as a moisturizer. It’s also used as a liquid in e-cigarettes and is the primary ingredient in antifreeze.

Ferric orthophosphate. Also called iron phosphate, this chemical is used to fortify foods. It can also be used as a pesticide to kill slugs and snails. While generally considered safe (for people) in food in small quantities, it can be a skin and eye irritant and may cause an upset stomach.

5 Chemicals Lurking in Plant-Based Meats

I'm glad at least this tastes terrible because it is terrible.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-23, 18:26

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

And remember, despite with the farm lobby infused "health" people say, it's scientifically proven that making fertilizer puts 100 times more methane in the atmosphere than all the cow farts and burps.

You can believe the veggie lie, the vegans want that, and the soy and corn farmers do too, but you aren't helping the environment by doing that.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-23, 23:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Celebrity chef bans vegans after dispute over a dish

John Mountain, who runs the Fyre restaurant in Perth, Australia, has become a cause célèbre for meat eaters

Any chef who emerged from Marco Pierre White’s kitchen relatively unscathed, or told Marcus Wareing where to stick his criticism of the fish, is probably the type who’s ready to give a customer a roasting.

Yet most restaurateurs with an eye on the bottom line as fine dining increasingly espouses the virtues of plant-based meals would perhaps not go as far as John Mountain, 55, a chef originally from Preston who has worked with some of the culinary world’s most lauded names, including Heston Blumenthal at the Fat Duck in Bray.

Now running a restaurant in Perth, western Australia, Mountain, who appeared in the BBC’s cooking show the Great British Menu, had a simple message for anyone seeking a vegan meal. “F*** off,” he told them. That followed a run-in with a vegan diner unhappy about the lack of plant-based options.

Writing on the Facebook page of his restaurant, Fyre, Mountain said: “Sadly all vegans are now banned from Fyre (for mental health reasons). We thank you for your understanding xx.”

The ban has predictably not gone down too well with Australia’s vegan community. Tash Peterson, an activist known for smearing herself in blood during protests against animal cruelty, branded it “blatant discrimination”.

Mountain, who emigrated to Perth seven years ago, remains defiant. He said that he had been inundated with support and that his frustration with “needy” vegan diners was shared by most chefs, who were afraid to make their views public.

Describing the dietary requirements of particularly strident vegans as a form of “reverse bullying” he said: “Chefs are usually restricted by owners who tell them they’ve got to have a couple of vegan dishes.

“But this is my train set, I spent half a million dollars building it, and I don’t answer to anyone but my missus. I just find they can be very needy, so they can f*** off.” He added: “I’m not against vegans at all. What I’m against is anyone who’s trying to damage my business.”

Mountain decided to go on the offensive after a vegan customer wrote a negative review about his restaurant, which focuses heavily on meat and fish. The customer submitted an online complaint to the venue on Facebook on Sunday after a bad experience at the restaurant the previous evening. After calling ahead with her dietary requirements, she had been assured by Mountain that she would be catered for.

He forgot to pass the message on to his sous-chef, however, as he was working at a private catering function that evening. Unimpressed, the customer complained that she had been forced to pay A$32 (£17) for a vegetable dish, which she described as “OK but not that filling”.

Mountain conceded that the customer’s initial complaint was justified. But he said she then took matters too far by suggesting that the lack of “plant-based meals shows your shortcomings as a chef”. The woman then warned the restaurant that it may not survive if it did not cater for vegans.

The restaurant was then quickly swamped with one-star reviews with no comment attached, dragging down its crucial rating on Google from 4.2 to 2.8 stars by Sunday evening.

While controversial, though, the vegan ban appears to have worked wonders for the restaurant. Its rating has jumped to 4.4 after being flooded with online five-star reviews from meat eaters eager to show their solidarity. Bookings have also surged and Mountain said that the phone had barely stopped ringing. “It’s ridiculous. We’ve had to restrict bookings at the weekend as we’re getting smashed,” he said. “This was by no means any sort of publicity stunt. I was just protecting my business.”

It is not the first time that the chef has found himself at the centre of attention. During one episode of the Great British Menu he stormed off the set after Wareing, a judge on the show, awarded his fish dish a score of two out of ten.

Mountain, a recovering alcoholic who has been sober for 23 years, later told Ruby Wax, the television presenter, during a documentary on mental health that the pressure of the cameras had made him consider suicide. “I was an alcoholic, and was getting pissed and fighting with them every day,” he said.

Mountain is particularly keen on pork dishes, and he has published a book of recipes called Pig. Speaking from the restaurant kitchen before the evening dinner service, he said: “There are plenty of beautiful things you can do with vegetables. I’ve got some beautiful squash in front of me right now, but it’s next to some lovely pork fillet.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ralia-2w0qvc9dc

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Jun-22-23 at 00:04.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-23, 06:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Chefs get to choose their menu!!

In a town I lived in long ago had a restaurant with a vegetarian based menu. Best veggie burgers ever. It was where college students could get an affordable meal. Protein was cheeses and eggs.

The menu selections tasty. Everything made at restaurant from scratch. Every item was fresh and wholesome. A delight to eat there.

Still miss their veggie burgers.....never found another so good.

Go eat at a chain restaurant if you want a vegetarian dish. Leave the real restaurants to make their own menus.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-23, 00:55

BF:

Quote:
How the vegan bubble burst

A company that supplied vegan meat alternatives went into administration this week, and other companies are withdrawing vegan products. Have we fallen out of love with plant-based diets?

When Piers Morgan spat out his Greggs vegan sausage roll live on Good Morning Britain four years ago, we all thought he was being dramatic; deliberately creating a viral moment that would be — and was — shared thousands of times on the internet. Mainstream veganism was booming. Eating a plant-based diet was the future of food; it was saving the planet. “Vegan bashers” such as Morgan were out of touch.

Flash-forward to today and Morgan’s mood might just reflect the state of a nation that is falling out of love with veganism. This week the Leeds-based company Meatless Farm, which supplies vegan meat alternatives to shops such as Pret, Byron Burgers and Itsu, went into administration after investors pulled out.

Plant-based meat, fish and cheese companies such as Meatless Farm were once the exciting innovators of the food industry. Vegan shrimp, chicken and even brie — you could have it all! And, companies said, these alternatives were much better for the environment than real meat. They required less land and water and produced fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Besides, they were made from plants, so they were healthy, right?

But today their popularity is waning; the mass vegan market is faltering. Last month the Yorkshire-based sausage company Heck cut its vegan range from ten products to two — burgers and sausage. Announcing the news, co-founder Jamie Keeble said that “the public wasn’t quite ready. At the end of the day we want to sell products that work on the shelves. These didn’t.”

Other brands are scaling back their vegan ranges too. In March Nestlé said it was removing its planet-based vegan brand, Garden Gourmet, from UK shelves, just a year after it was released. Meanwhile, the Swedish oat milk firm Oatly has withdrawn its dairy-free ice cream in Britain, and this year the smoothie maker Innocent discontinued its dairy-free range entirely.

None of this is much of a surprise to the chef Ben Tish, director of Cubitt House group, which has nine pubs and restaurants across London. They have “one or two” vegan options on the menu at each site, and a few vegetarian dishes they are happy to amend on request, except these days that hardly happens.

“A year or so ago we had a spell of those dishes being very popular. We were getting so many requests for vegan dishes, so we added them to the menu,” he explains. “But interest has really dropped off. They just aren’t popular any more.” Tish has even considered removing the vegan group dining menu from the website because it’s so rarely requested.

Doubts in the restaurant world about Britain’s dedication to veganism began rumbling in 2021 when Daniel Humm left his Davies and Brook restaurant in Claridge’s and returned to New York, after the Mayfair hotel rejected his decision to serve an entirely plant-based menu.

A year later, Pret A Manger announced it would close all but two of its vegan Veggie Pret stores. While large chains such as Neat Burger, which has backing from the Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton, have continued to expand, the past four months have been a nightmare for many smaller vegan restaurants.

In February two branches of the Clean Kitchen Club in London closed 18 months after opening. In April the Edinburgh vegan bar and restaurant Harmonium shut after an “incredibly difficult period of trading”, and last month The Vurger Co vegan restaurant group appointed administrators after narrowly avoiding collapse.

Liam Nelson, co-founder of the London Italian restaurant group Pastaio, believes vegan restaurants have fallen on their own sword. Their meat-free menus have got vegans through their doors — but have also kept everyone else out. “The great thing about running a restaurant with a mainstream menu and vegan menu is that everyone can eat whatever they want,” he says. Remove that option and you’re halving your customers.

Pastaio has three sites in London and since 2019 each has offered a “green menu” of vegan dishes made using vegetables. There are no meat alternatives on the menu and Nelson and his team concentrate on sourcing seasonal ingredients from the UK. The only ingredient they fly in from another country is burrata.

He doesn’t think people are necessarily falling out of love with veganism but they are realising that swapping to a vegan diet isn’t the only solution to environmental issues.

“When the buzz around veganism began, there was almost this hatred towards the meat industry. The meat industry is bad for the planet, we need to save the planet and so we must stop eating meat,” he explains. “What I am noticing now is that people don’t necessarily want to eat less meat, what’s more important is knowing the agricultural and environmental impact of the food they eat.”

Tish agrees. “People wanted a holy grail answer that would fix everything and that was to go vegan. But we know that’s not entirely true. Our food system is complex. People have realised that there isn’t a one diet answer to its problems.”

At the start of this year, research by he Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board and Kantar found a drop in the number of meat-free products households were buying — a million less compared with the previous year. Meanwhile, sales of meat replacements fell by £37.3 million in the year before September 2022.

Mandy Saven, consumer trends director at Stylus, thinks the vegan “health conundrum” is behind these numbers. Since the publication of Dr Chris van Tulleken’s book, Ultra-Processed People, the damage ultra-processed food (UPFs) does to our bodies, health, weight and the planet has been scrutinised.

Dr Tammy Tong, a nutritional epidemiologist at the University of Oxford who studies the health effects of vegan diets, says: “Studies have shown that many vegans have a higher consumption of ultra-processed foods than the rest of the population.”

For example, many processed vegan products use phosphate to mimic the texture of meat and fish. In 2012 a review called Phosphate Additives in Food warned of the link between phosphate consumption and heart and kidney problems.

Another study published in the journal Cell Metabolism found that eaters of ultra-processed foods consumed on average 508 more calories each day compared with those on a diet of minimally processed food. In short, it’s very easy to be a very unhealthy vegan.

“Vegans aren’t being served,” Saven explains. “They want to reduce the amount of meat they eat, but there aren’t any options that are nourishing and healthy available. They are in a health conundrum.”

In the midst of that, the country is in a cost of living crisis. In December Which? found that plant-based alternatives can cost twice as much as meat. Its research found that vegan sausages, for example, were regularly double the price of pork equivalents.

“[Drop in sales] has a lot to do with the economic climate,” Keeble says. “When people are a bit short of cash like we are now, they want to stick to what they know. They won’t be so adventurous. They want products they understand, like meat.”

Keeble also believes that, after the surge in popularity of plant-based diets, vegan enthusiasts suffered a case of TMTQ — too much too quickly. “There has been too much innovation in that sector. A little bit too much at once. That’s why a lot of brands have suffered for it. You had lots of players fighting for a very small slice of the market.”

So, was Morgan right? Is veganism a fad? Tish thinks that people caught up in wanting to cut out meat have forgotten a once very obvious option: vegetarianism.

“[Veganism] is the extreme. Vegetarianism, for me now, is quite comfortable and mainstream now. I eat a vegetarian diet four times a week without thinking about it. In the restaurants we don’t even have to talk about the vegetarian option because it’s just there on the menu, three or four dishes of delicious food that happen to be made without meat.” How very old school.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...burst-d8jpqn0mf
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-23, 04:15

BF:

All those beloved vegetarian dishes were egg/dairy based. Plenty of protein, fat, and nutrients. But those went down too, under the fanatical demands of the vegan cult. Which I was inoculated against, having been a vegetarian. But the whole world fell for it... and maybe now, they can see the massive holes in every vegan argument.

Ovo-lacto vegetarianism is healthy, but for me, it wasn't enough. I seem to have a higher than average need for protein, and my body craves fat. Every time I dutifully cut down on that macro, I suffer until I go back to what my body wants.

Perhaps I'm an outlier because I have gone zero carb for months at a time, which many people find difficult. It was the oxalate dumping that followed which was the problem, and I'm thankfully addressing that with the Toxic Superfoods book. (An important note for anyone who is really cutting their carbs, then running into trouble.)

But then, I always suspected vegans were a balloon full of hot air. It seems to be devolving into something beloved of the Fat Acceptance people, who have gone off the rails. I completely agree every body deserves respect, but they deny their metabolic intake has anything to do with their clothes size, which is written by their genes and set in stone.

In the meantime, they show off treats from the vegan bakery. Somehow, these deluded folks think vegan is a magic wand that lets them eat whatever they want, as much as they want, as often as they want, because "vegan is healthy."

Their vegan is the ultra-processed kind. Which has tons of added anti-nutrients alongside the existing plant ones. This deranges their metabolism as a result. And, from a lack of B vitamins, their mind.

I know we warn newbies that "cravings" are often an excuse. I just heard a story from someone vegan explaining, "So I was really craving a tuna fish sandwich, but I'm vegan, so I ate a chickpea sandwich." But it reminded me of how so many vegans talk about their meat cravings, which is likely why they eat so much sugar. I think cravings for real food are likely useful. And instead, she got less protein and more anti-nutrients.

While vegans keep it to what they put in their mouths. The whole rest of society which undeniably rests on animal husbandry, in myriad ways? They ignore that.

They aren't principled, after all, if they aren't thinking their decision all the way down. There are sweet people going vegan "for the animals" but they don't listen to me saying the answer is humane animal husbandry. Get the corporations out and the family farms back in, I say, and they are rude to me.

They want the attention and sense of moral superiority. PETA is a scam.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-23, 18:29

BF:

I have a vegan friend.

She agrees, that if you eat eggs, milk or any other product that comes from an animal, you are not a vegetarian, but an omnivore.

Personally, I don't think a vegan (true vegetarian) diet is healthy.

I follow a low-carb, omnivorous diet, and I am going to be 77 soon and am on zero medications.

Of course, we are all different.

I have some other friends who said they ate the fake meat products as a transition food while going vegetarian, but then thought, "Why am I eating something that tastes like something I am trying to avoid?"

They flip-flop between being vegan, and lacto-ovo omnivore.

If there was one best diet for everyone there would only need to be one diet book.

Bob
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-23, 13:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just a quick comment to point out that while what is commonly considered to be vegetarian these days is technically an omnivorous diet, they're still quite different from what the general public would consider to be omnivore (eating all animal products along with vegetation), and also different from what's considered to be vegan.

The distinction I see between what is generally called a vegan diet these days, and what is generally called a vegetarian diet is that vegetarians will eat animal products which do not harm the animal in any way:

-Hens are going to produce eggs, whether they've ever met a rooster or not. The hen can sit on an unfertilized egg forever and it'll never hatch into a chick - that egg is not viable, except as as source of food. Vegetarian/omnivores recognize that fact - that it does not harm the chicken in any way.

-A cow that has birthed a calf will produce far more milk than the calf can possibly consume. It actually helps a lactating cow if the excess is milked off, so that she doesn't develop a nasty case of mastitis. That excess milk the cow produced is not harming the cow when used as a food source for humans.

I'm not saying that the definition of vegetarian as being omnivore is not right - technically it is very right.

I just wouldn't go around referring to those in the general public who call themselves vegetarians as omnivores, because the word omnivore means something different to the general public, especially most of those in the general public who call themselves vegetarians these days. With the development of the word vegan in recent years, those who avoid any animal products at all have come up with a term to distinguish themselves those who eat mainly vegetable matter, but also eat animal products that don't harm animals. Those who eat what is generally called a vegan diet today - if they continue to use the term vegetarian to describe their diet, refusing to adopt the new-fangled term "vegan", then they should not be at all surprised if someone inadvertently serves them eggs, cheese, and other dairy products mixed into their vegetable matter, thinking that by vegetarian what they mean is "vegetarian/omnivore".
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-23, 20:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Just a quick comment to point out that while what is commonly considered to be vegetarian these days is technically an omnivorous diet, they're still quite different from what the general public would consider to be omnivore (eating all animal products along with vegetation), and also different from what's considered to be vegan.<...>.

I say, what plant does that egg or cheese grow on? What vegetable does it grow on? That egg is potentially a chicken, it has all the chicken protein in it and if a rooster was allowed close by, it could very well be a chicken.

I suspect many people who claim to be lacto-ovo vegetarians, just want to be included in the vegetarian club, as if there was some kind of elite status in that.

My vegan friend agrees. Her husband is lacto-ovo, but he doesn't call himself a vegetarian.

Sorry, if you eat cheese or eggs, you aren't a vegetarian, you are just a picky eater. And that's OK. I'm a picky eater, I don't eat high-carb foods, and since I have a sensitivity to it, I don't eat foods with onions, garlic and a few other foods.

I eat a lot of animal products, but since I do eat some plant foods as well, I'm not going to call myself a carnivore. That would be as ludicrous as someone eating cheese and eggs calling themselves a vegetarian.

Perhaps we need a new name for those who don't eat meat but still eats animal protein. Vegetarian doesn't describe it.

Bob
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-23, 23:58

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I was a vegetarian in the 70s, 80s, 90s, it was pretty clear what a vegetarian was - you ate dairy, eggs, honey but not meat, fish, fowl, or shellfish. This was in fact the definition upheld by the Vegetarian Society of the UK, which has been going since the late 19th century. I subscribed to a vegetarian magazine for years, and there was always a small classified ad for the Vegan Society. Most vegetarians thought vegans were extremists and were sceptical of their assertions that you could be totally healthy with zero animal intake.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-23, 04:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Most vegetarians thought vegans were extremists and were sceptical of their assertions that you could be totally healthy with zero animal intake.

They are correct. And all the lovely vegetarians I know still think that way.

Vegan is still the extremist offshoot, because there isn't any science there. It's a cult. I am extremely relieved the corporate plant-based push failed so quickly and decisively. Now perhaps all the lies they keep telling will fade.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-23, 01:02

BF:

Not surprised in the least ...

Quote:
McDonald's vegan burger maker's sales plunge as shoppers turn to cheaper meat

Vegan burger maker Beyond Meat said its sales collapsed by nearly a third as cash-strapped shoppers turned to cheaper animal products.

The plant-based food manufacturer, which supplies McDonald’s for its McPlant burger, suffered a 30.5pc slump in revenues in the second quarter of the year.

The vegan venture capitalist darling suffered a 12pc decline in its share price in after-hours trading as it lowered its revenue forecast for the year.

Its shares are on target to open below $13 in New York, having been valued at $234 in 2019.

The company said it had been affected by “softer demand in the plant-based meat category, high inflation, rising interest rates, and ongoing concerns about the likelihood of a recession”.

A study by Which? last year found that plant-based alternatives to sausages were regularly double the price of animal meat.

Beyond Meat president and chief executive Ethan Brown also admitted that the company is struggling to appeal to new customers because of perceptions that its products are unhealthy and overly processed.

He said an advertising campaign launched last week will better explain its “clean and simple” manufacturing process and highlight the products’ health credentials.

He said: “It is an education issue. The facts are there. The health benefits of our products are very strong.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...interest-rates/

#28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-23, 04:37

BF:

There was a paper published on the Victorian working class, living in squalor yet managing to thrive once they got past childhood epidemics. It was because they ate stuff like animal organs. Cheap, but a good food source.

When processed foods came in, right around 1900, the situation plunged into degeneracy, and look where we are now.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-23, 02:23

BF:

Quote:
How the fake meat movement ate itself

As plant-based manufacturer Beyond Meat announces a drop in sales, are consumers simply bored with vegan products or is it more complicated?

It was hailed as the future of food. When Beyond Meat launched its vegan food in 2012, specialising in meat-esque burgers and sausages, there was a lot of interest and starry investment, from Bill Gates and Leonardo DiCaprio. Kim Kardashian put a video about it on her Instagram.

McDonalds and KFC used Beyond Meat in their vegan options, and when the company launched on the Nasdaq exchange in 2019, it was one of the hottest shares in recent years, with trading up 160 per cent on the opening day. Investors backed Beyond Meat, and others like it, to grab a huge share of the burgeoning market in meat alternatives that were good for the eater and good for the planet.

Four years on, Beyond Meat is having a long week. On Monday, the firm reported that sales had fallen by almost a third for the three months to the end of June compared with a year earlier and that it now expected annual revenue of $360-$380  million, rather than earlier estimates of as much as $415  million.

The US company, which sells its products at major UK supermarkets, blamed “softer demand in the plant-based meat category, high inflation, rising interest rates, and concerns about the likelihood of a recession.”

Chief executive Ethan Brown warned that the company had been affected by dark forces opposing veganism. “This change in perception is not without encouragement from interest groups,” he said, “who have succeeded in seeding doubt and fear around the ingredients and process used to create our and other plant-based meats.”

So, has veganism peaked? Heck, a vegan sausage company, reduced its range recently, blaming lack of demand. Meatless Farm, another vegan food company, stopped trading in June and other companies are struggling to maintain the growth that they and their backers hoped for.

“I am not surprised by the Beyond Meat news,” says Max La Manna, a vegan chef and food writer. “A lot of it has to do with the cost of living. Everything is getting tightened and people are reverting back to what they know and how they used to shop. It can be pricey when you see two burger patties for £3-£6, and you’re not sure if that’s what you want to be spending money on.”

When Beyond Meat launched, red meat was having a bad press in the wake of research linking it to an increased risk of cancer. Meatless burgers seemed like the perfect solution, as healthy fast-food hit the mainstream. But what exactly is in these fake meats and how healthy are they really? Many cookbook authors like La Manna are eschewing meat substitutes and turning back to vegetable-based recipes. Books like Dr Chris Van Tulleken’s Ultra-Processed People have drawn attention to possible health risks of ultra-processed foods, which include many vegan alternatives, where plant-derived products are treated extensively to mimic their meaty brethren.

“A vegan hotdog is probably no better for you than a meat one,” says Renee McGregor, a dietitian who works with athletes and is the author of Training Food. Vegan mayonnaise, for example, often contains modified maize starch, sugar and natural flavouring – all processed and worse for you than non-vegan mayonnaise.

“I tend not to eat vegan alternatives,” says La Manna. “I prefer having a home-cooked meal and using vegetables in the way they are intended to be cooked. Many of these vegan products have a lot of unnecessary ingredients that are going to deter people.” Instead, his book has recipes for dishes including pulled mushroom tacos and sticky aubergine and peanut salad.

Telegraph food writer Xanthe Clay agrees, adding: “It’s not just about the ingredients list. One of the issues with foods like vegan meat analogues is that you are making something that doesn’t exist in nature. So you are using fats, starches, proteins, sugars, salts and so on to create a sort of Frankenstein’s monster.” Awareness of this process has increased among customers.

Of course, not all meat products are free from ultra-processed food. Supermarket burgers often contain dextrose and preservatives like sodium metabisulfite. And plant-based meat substitutes are nothing new. In China, people have been eating tofu and seitan in place of animal meat for thousands of years. In recent years, however, a clutch of companies, Beyond Meat among them, became billion-dollar firms off the back of improved techniques, promising alternatives that were closer than ever before to mimicking the flavour and texture of the real thing. Meanwhile, other companies are continuing to invest heavily in cultivated meats, making real animal proteins without using animals. Progress has been slow, however. It is only in Singapore that cultivated meat – chicken made by California-based Eat Just – is available to eat.

Not everyone believes the goose-alternative is cooked. Andrew Shovel is the co-founder and co-CEO of This, a British plant-alternative food company. Its products use ingredients like soy and pea protein to create food like “Not Pigs in Blankets” and “Isn’t Pork Meatballs”. Shovel and his business partner, Pete Sharman, launched their firm in 2019, having previously founded a small chain of real-meat burger restaurants.

“A great deal of culpability can be placed on the overvaluation of some of these brands back in the day,” he says. “They set expectations excessively high. I don’t think people would be revelling in their so-called downfall if it wasn’t for those very promising valuations. Beyond Meat has gone from $80  million of revenue in 2019 to nearly $400  million now. It’s huge growth, but because of the valuation it’s seen as a disaster instead of a triumph.”

He says This has continued to grow. “We’re forecast to do $20  million of revenue this year, and profitability is improving.” He adds that commentary often ignores the success of the frozen market, which is performing better than chilled meat alternatives, as well as the fact that supermarkets charge higher margins on his products than on meat. This is working on a new line of “virtually unprocessed” products for release next year, to cater to concerns about health and nutrition.

“I think [the current situation] is just a kink in the graph, rather than a catastrophic bubble bursting,” Shovel says. “The fundamental drivers of change are still in favour of meat reduction. The Vegan Society publishes numbers of how many people are turning to meat reduction, or veganism, and the numbers are going up year on year.”

For Anna Jones, the chef and food writer, the struggles of the meat-alternative companies may simply be proof the market is maturing, with people moving from meat substitutes, which are a “gateway to plant-based eating”, to cooking from scratch, or with real vegetables. “There’s still a huge amount of interest in the vegan and vegetarian space, but maybe people are getting smarter,” she says. “They want food that is made of things they recognise more readily.”

Beyond Meat and its rivals achieved huge valuations because investors thought they would behave like technology companies. But the whims of the stock market change more quickly than dinner habits. If plant-led diets are still the future, customers are starting to look beyond Beyond.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-an...ltra-processed/
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-23, 17:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
When I was a vegetarian in the 70s, 80s, 90s, it was pretty clear what a vegetarian was - you ate dairy, eggs, honey but not meat, fish, fowl, or shellfish. This was in fact the definition upheld by the Vegetarian Society of the UK, which has been going since the late 19th century. I subscribed to a vegetarian magazine for years, and there was always a small classified ad for the Vegan Society. Most vegetarians thought vegans were extremists and were sceptical of their assertions that you could be totally healthy with zero animal intake.

I still say, "What plant does an egg or piece of cheese come from?" Is it animal, vegetable, or mineral?

So someone who eats plants, eggs and dairy is just a picky eater. I understand, I'm a picky eater. I don't eat sugar and high glycemic starches.

I don't eat vegetables, but I don't consider myself a carnivore because I eat nuts and other plant foods.

I know people like to call themselves vegetarians when they eat from animal, vegetable, and mineral groups, but that's not being honest, no matter how many magazines or dictionary entries there are.

But that's just me being picky. What I and my vegan friend thinks, doesn't really matter.