Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 05:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default From the Palliative Care Ward to an MD-PhD

I follow a lot of different LC folks on Twitter, ranging from the "Celeb" docs and authors down to ordinary people like myself. A good problem to have is that I often forget why I followed them in the first place - there are just so many doctors, clinicians, authors and other positive folks that I get them mixed up.

I don't remember why I followed Nick Norwitz in the first place, he probably just made a witty comment or something - but check out his story. This is amazing.

From the Palliative Care Ward to an MD-PhD
Quote:
I was raised in a medical family. Both my parents are M.D. Ph.D.s and health was always the topic of discussion around the dinner table. Logically, you might think that I ate a healthy diet growing up. At the time, both my parents thought I ate reasonably too. But what was reasonable? When I was in middle school, a typical day of eating for me looked like this: (...) Finally, I’d wind my day down with a pre-bed snack of fruit. I kept a nightstand filled with Ocean Spray orange-flavored Craisins, and would have one whole four-serving package to put me to sleep. (Net carb counter = 1 kilogram)
Bold mine. A KILOGRAM. That's 1000 grams!!! How many of us here even eat more than 80 g on a generous maintenance day?! That would be a pretty bad day for me!
Quote:
I excelled at school and sports. I was always at the top of my class and kicked butt at just about every athletic endeavor at which I directed my body and mind. Winning my division in half marathons and marathons was no problem for me. By seventeen I could cruise a half marathon in seventy-five minutes. By twenty-two I was an Ivy League valedictorian.

My body and brain were firing on all cylinders, fueled by a “well-balanced” diet. By this point, you’d probably guess I was an arrogant, privileged youth who could use a dose of humility, especially because I had my eyes set on becoming a doctor curing the world’s ills with my knowledge. Don’t worry, I got what was coming to me when my health inevitably crumbled.

It's sad that this young man had to go through a harrowing health crisis to "get it." I wish him all the best in his medical career, and I hope he can carry the torch, so to speak, and help prevent other people from having to experience what he did.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 06:05

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I follow a lot of different LC folks on Twitter, ranging from the "Celeb" docs and authors down to ordinary people like myself. A good problem to have is that I often forget why I followed them in the first place - there are just so many doctors, clinicians, authors and other positive folks that I get them mixed up. .

I would like to follow you on Twitter. What's your handle?
Tried to send you a PM and got your blog page
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 06:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amazing! That story is on the Metabolic Multiplier site, co-founded by Cecile Seth, who had collected all the Resources on Dr Chris Palmer's website about Keto and Mental wellness.
Another good resource if interested in that field. https://www.chrispalmermd.com/
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 08:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Kristine, for sharing this article and Metabolic Multiplier site. That's a new site for me, and I look forward to exploring it.

As for Nick, impressive that at his young age with all his health issues, he could maintain his sense of humor and his awareness by eventually realizing that all the medical protocols in the world were not helping. Given his chosen profession, it's almost as if these experiences were meant to happen.

Great quote:
Quote:
"My mission from this day until the day I die (at the ripe old age of 200) is to teach people and the healthcare system that nutrition is health, and health is everything."

Can't think of a better, more grounded, experienced individual to be joining the healthcare system than Nick. He brings a wealth of knowledge to a profession that sorely needs it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 10:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Interesting....

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Oct-30-20 at 08:31.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 05:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I would like to follow you on Twitter. What's your handle?
Tried to send you a PM and got your blog page
Hi Benay. It's (at)Keto_Krissy . My PMs are on, I'm not sure what happened there. I've all but abandoned my blog, LOL.