Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 07:44

Plan: 10 step Plan
Stats: 200/185/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Loving your kids to death.

I am always amazed to find that (some) parents will do anything for their child no matter what the cost. However, when it comes to what these kids are allowed to put in their bodies and the toll it will end up taking on their well being, (some) parents fail at giving their kids the most important gift of all. Which is gift of the child’s health, the gift of life.

I don’t wish to get in a discussion about why parents do this. Rather, how do I “break the ice” to discuss this with parents of family & friends. I never been the type to “tell” people what to do, but I would like to draw attention to the fact their kid needs help.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 12:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's a tough one. I guess my question is how high of a price are you willing to pay for what you are considering doing? I don't think that there are too many parents out there who wouldn't admit that their kids would benefit from less junk food and more fruits and veggies, but be very careful how you approach and word such advice, especially when it wasn't asked for.
In my experience, unsolicited advice, especially when it comes to someone else's children (what I like to call "armchair parenting"), will not be taken well and may very well wind up ending the relationship that you have with them. I know that I wouldn't take it too positively if someone I knew berated me for how I was feeding my children no matter how good intentioned it was.
My suggestion would be to say nothing unless it happens to come up in conversation and then feel free to add your opinion and then to not take it personally if your opinion is dismissed.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Jul-25-04 at 17:10.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

Yeah I agree with Lisa. I wouldn't say anything and just keep doing what you are doing for your own children. I can't tell you how many times I've been to picnics with other moms and their kids where every single item they brought was prepackaged right on down to the PBJ even.

Thing is while my kids are sitting their eating fruit salad, celery with PB etc etc. They still want what the other kids are having and while I'm not ashamed of what I feed them I do feel bad that they are not old enough to understand why all of that isn't the best thing for them. Even when they are old enough they are still going to want most of that stuff and eat it when they are at their freinds houses anyway. The only thing we can do is do our best to feed them healthy stuff. As for other parents and their kids let them figure it out on their own. Most parents know what is healthy and if they aren't doing it for themselves liklihood is, they aren't going to be doing it for their kids either unfortunately.

I learned the lesson the hard way, not about food, but about telling one of my freinds she needs to back up what she says with her kids and that they need consequences etc. Well even though her kid has been kicked out of preschool for his behavior issues, she told me that I was wrong etc etc and we didn't speak for months after that. So take it from me let others do as they wish unless real abuse is involved and in that case its the authorities that need to be spoken to.

jenny
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 17:15

BF:

Quote:
Even when they are old enough they are still going to want most of that stuff and eat it when they are at their freinds houses anyway.

You might be surprised. If they don't get a taste for it when they are young and instead develp their tastes for food around "real" food, they may find that the junk just doesn't do much for them later and that it doesn't appeal to them much. They may try it, to be sure, but believe it or not there are kids out there that don't have a craving for sugar from birth.
Kids are often smarter than we give them credit for. You didn't mention how old your children are, but when you think that they are old enough to understand, start explaining the difference between foods that feed and nourish strong, healthy bodies and foods that only feed your tastebuds and can do more harm than good for their bodies.
My 2 girls are 8 and 9 and they understand perfectly well the difference between food that is healthy and junk food.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 18:07

Plan: induction
Stats: 203/202/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I have a big mouth, I say what's on my mind, and believe me if the person doesn't know you to be that way and except you..you'll be left holding the broccoli.
True story- I was at a friends b-day party for her daughter,a girl I met once was there w/ her 2 year old daughter..She was letting her daughter drink her BEER!!! I said "OH my god what's wrong w/ you!! and they ALL acted like it was no big deal, I went and got juice for the kid..she threw it (sippy cup) and screamed for more beer... Well needless to say that was the last b-day party I was ever invited to for any of their kids.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 19:44

BF:

Quote:
True story- I was at a friends b-day party for her daughter,a girl I met once was there w/ her 2 year old daughter..She was letting her daughter drink her BEER!!! I said "OH my god what's wrong w/ you!! and they ALL acted like it was no big deal, I went and got juice for the kid..she threw it (sippy cup) and screamed for more beer... Well needless to say that was the last b-day party I was ever invited to for any of their kids.

*Sigh* And you know...these are the same parents that are going to wonder why their kids have a drug and/or alcohol problem in about 10 years or so and are flunking out of school.
I'm not one to tell other parents how to raise their children, but in a case like that I don't think I would have been able to hold my tongue, either. Alcohol is toxic to small children. I'm with you on this one...what on earth are those parents thinking???