Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-19, 05:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It makes so much theoretical sense, at least for those of us whose ancestors lived in places with four distinct seasons. It grew out of my successful implementation of Dr. Jack Kruse's circadian rhythm therapy, which has gone more mainstream as research into blue light at bedtime confirms his theories.

It always drives me crazy that even in areas with distinct seasons, hardly anyone eats to the seasons any more. I understand buying canned or frozen out of season fruits and veggies - the ability to preserve foods in those ways to use in the off-season have been around for quite a while now, so even those of us who are older are used to it. Still, we always realized that the canned peas and green beans were never going to be as good as fresh, and that the frozen berries were going to be mushy when they thawed, but they provided a little more variety to off-season meals.

But the younger generations are no longer used to certain things only being available fresh in season, because every year it seems that more and more seasonal fruits and veggies are being shipped half-way across the world during the off-season, an occurrence mostly due to genetic engineering, creating sweeter (interpreted as being ripe when they've been picked while still quite green) varieties that resist bruising and over-ripening with long transit times.

I actually had a customer a couple of years ago buying some corn on the cob (in Feb) remark that she was excited to see fresh corn available already. She seemed positively taken aback when I said "you realize that it's not local, not this time of year". She obviously had no idea that it couldn't possibly be local, even though the ground was still covered in a foot of snow, and it would be a couple of months before the threat of frost was past, so that corn could even be planted, then it would be at least another 1-1/2 months before any local fresh corn (early varieties) could be harvested.

But this is what happens when people are so far removed from how food is produced, and what it takes to grow certain things, only knowing what they want, and expecting it to be there when they want it.
Sponsored Links