Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 00:19
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%
Default Restarting this journey

Hi Everyone... I lost 60lbs 15 years ago. This time it's going to be 70... I've been good for a week now. This was my facebook post around the beginning of March. let's DO this!

"I'll be back"

#no more excuses

I work out a fair amount (need to lift a little more, but very active).. my problem is that although I'm good at getting exercise, I'm an even better eater.

Let me start by listing all the excuses I use on a regular basis:
I don't have time to cook a meal and then clean the dishes
It's just easier to stop by McDonalds
It's just one more thing to keep track of and I've got enough on my plate (lol.. plate.. see what I did there?)
Quitting eating would be easier than to control my eating (true, but I use it as an excuse to not control my eating)
As long as I look in the mirror straight on... I look pretty darn good.. lol
It's not stopping me from doing the things I want to do (but I know I'm headed for a trainwreck eventually)
I just want it! (pick your item, ice cream, french fries, potatoe chips, girl scout cookies)

Ok... so now the reasons I need to do this:
I've started competing in dance again (this time as a pro) so I definitely need to get back in shape.
My girfriend, who I love dearly, wants me to stick around
I want to stick around
I feel better when I'm in shape
I look better when I'm in shape
My confidence improves when I'm in shape
I want to live an active life as long as possible and that will only happen if I get in shape

I lost 60 lbs about 14 years ago... over the years those 60 have slowly creeped back in..

March 26 I declare will be an invasion of confidence, determination, and emotional STRENGTH as I begin my journey back to health, back to ME. I declare March 26 my own personal D-Day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 10:53

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome back! You've lost the weight before so you KNOW you can do it again.

Looks to me like a lot of your "excuses" are related to the time it takes to cook a meal for yourself and then clean up afterwards. Perhaps my "quick one-skillet meals" might come to your rescue. When I'm in a rush - and haven't thought ahead to thaw meat for dinner, this is my go-to plan....

Note that I'm usually cooking for me and hubby so you could either just prep half as much or put half away in the fridge for another - even quicker - meal later.

Quick, one skillet dinner

8 to 12 oz frozen boneless meat of choice. (I mostly use a couple of chicken breasts or boneless pork chops) (0 g carbs)

1/2 onion chopped (or 2 tsps onion-powder) (4g carbs)

3 - 4 cloves chopped garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic-powder) (4 g carbs)

Salt (to taste)

2 cups frozen vegetables of choice. I usually use broccoli, brussels sprouts or green beans because those are our favorite low-carb veggies. Any frozen veggies will do just pay attention to carb count per cup. (about 15 g carbs total)

4 TBSP (1/4 cup) of any commercial salad dressing that contains no more than 2g net carbs per 2 tbs serving. My favorite is bacon-flavored ranch but I've also used Caesar, blue cheese, asiago peppercorn, and creamy Italian. (4g carbs) ...yes, I KNOW one CAN make homemade salad dressings that are lower carb and "healthier" but, honestly, going to that much trouble to cut out maybe 2g carbs per meal just isn't worth it to me! )

4 TBSP coconut oil, butter, or extra virgin olive oil. (0 carbs)

Place meat in MW on THAW (or low) for about 2 - 3 minutes. You don't want to thaw it completely, just enough so that it is easy to cut into small cubes.

While meat is thawing, chop onions and garlic.

Chop meat into approximately 3/4 inch cubes. Heat oil on medium in a skillet. Toss meat into skillet and brown it on all sides. (Takes about 5 minutes). Add onion, garlic and veggies to meat. Cover skillet with a tight fitting lid and allow to "steam" for about 5 minutes more till veggies are hot. There is enough moisture in frozen veggies to produce the necessary steam. If you start with fresh veggies, you might need to add a tablespoon of water.

Stir in salad dressing and continue heating for about 1 minute.

Eat.

From pulling the frozen meat out of the fridge to sitting down to eat takes me about 15 minutes total. Don't know about you but I can't even find my car keys, shoes, billfold etc and get into the car to head to McD's much quicker than that!

Only thing to clean up is the chopping block, skillet, plate and fork and knife....and, as a single guy, who's going to know if you skip dirtying a plate by eating straight from the skillet.

There are less than 30 g of carbs for two servings and You could make it even lower carb by skipping the onion and garlic and using other, lower-carb spices.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 11:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, Daddio!
Great restart photo.
More quick meal ideas are the almost no cook Keto Plates.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...arch=&st=recipe
All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 12:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Glad to have you back!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 12:30

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

YAY! Welcome back Daddio! I found myself nodding with you excuses - except the "it's just easier to stop by ..." - although I regularly say that to myself, I rarely follow through. Instead, I end up eating lunch meat and cheese for dinner - and breakfast and lunch - which is not as good as it could be.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 12:39

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

Welcome back! I remember you from many many years ago on here. I just returned from a long hiatus as well. You can do it!!