Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 273/260/225
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Glyburide or not

If the problem is insulin resistance, and as a type 2 you make enough insulin, probably more than normal, why prescribe a medication to produce even more?

More to the point, if you take this medication and your BG score improves does this mean you were NOT making enough insulin after all and needed this med to make your pancreas make more?

Otherwise why would your count be lower if you take it, or higher if you stop taking it..saying everthing else is the same....

I understand weight loss decreases insulin resistance, and glyburide counters weight loss, but is the trade off higher BG scores while your losing?

Can someone clarify? I do not want to start taking glyburide again and I am losing weight but I would like my numbers to be better than an average 150 daily....and it was when I was taking the glyburide and low carbing....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 16:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you have insulin resistance and you take Glyburide, your blood sugars will go down, but only because the medication is forcing your pancreas to kick out enough insulin to overcome the insulin resistance, much the same mechanism that led to insulin resistance in the first place, so in the long run it only makes the problem worse even if it brings about a temporary reduction in blood sugars. In a way, it's a good sign because that means that your pancreas is still capable of producing enough insulin (with the right stimulation) to overcome the high blood sugars, but it's a bad thing in that overworking your pancreas like that will only speed up the rate of beta cell burnout and hasten you towards the day when insulin will be required to maintain your blood sugars in the normal range because enough beta cells have burned out to put you in the sub-normal insulin production range even with the stimulation of the Glyburide.
Lowering your blood sugars with Glyburide may or may not mean that you were not producing enough insulin. It could only indicate the severity of your insulin resistance which low carb will gradually reduce (this does not happen overnight). The only way to tell how much insulin you are actually still producing is through a fasting circulating insulin level. If it's high, you're producing plenty of insulin, but your cells just aren't getting the message to get that glucose out of your blood stream and into the cells because they've become immune to the effects of the insulin that is there. Medications such as Metformin (Glucophage) will help lower the insulin resistance more quickly because its mechanism of action is very different from that of Glyburide. Metformin works by making your tissues more sensitive to the insulin that is already there, not by forcing your already overworked pancreas to produce still more insulin, so less is required to bring your blood sugars down to the normal range...a MUCH better solution all around.
If you're having difficulty getting your blood sugars down into the normal range with low carbing alone, think about talking to your doctor about trying the extended release form of Glucophage (called Glucophage XR). You only need to take it once a day, preferably at dinnertime (at least according to my doc). Once you get the insulin resistance reduced, you should be able to gradually wean yourself off the Glucophage and maintain on diet alone. Glucophage has the added benefit of only rarely causing hypoglycemic episodes.
As always, YMMV and this is a decision that only you can make along with your diabetes management team.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 02:56

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I *totally* agree. FYI the maximum recommended dose of Glucophage XR is 2500mg. The maximum *safe* dose is 4000mg. (per the mfgr) I was originally on 1000mg glucophage when my doc added glucotrol (also a sulfonylurea). I stayed on that only 6 months when I told my doc I was coming off the glucotrol for the same reasons as what you just observed. I ended up having to up my Glucophage XR to 2000mg for a while, but recently I'd been able to drop it to 1500mg. So improvement is occuring. I think it'll just take some time for my insulin resistance to naturally improve. The less insulin I need to process my food then the more my insulin sensitivity will increase. My last a1c was 6.0 and I told my doc I was going to reduce my meds and he said no, but I did it anyway and so far so good. A lot of what I've been doing diet/medication wise has not been with the approval of my doctor, and he certainly doesn't know I'm 'doing Atkins', or rather, Bernstein. The day I can discontinue my meds altogether is the day I slap the book down on his desk and say "NYAH"