Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 11:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

(Moderation)..............

is why I am cold turkey on the white wine.!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 20:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 101/98/90 Female 59 inches
BF:?/22%/18%
Progress: 27%

here is another question .... is the energy (calories) from alcohol stored as glycogen. If you don't burn it off will it be stored as glycogen that will throw you off of ketosis?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 06:32

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default You aren't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
here is another question .... is the energy (calories) from alcohol stored as glycogen. If you don't burn it off will it be stored as glycogen that will throw you off of ketosis?

You aren't supposed to have alcohol on Induction - I think you answered your own question. Some people claim they can do it tho.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 13:13

Stats: 200/167/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Great article on the subject: I'm going to have my weekly Vodka and Soda (water) tonight to celebrate breaking 30 pounds this week!

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tr...and-muscle.html
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 20:08

Stats: 257/243/165 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%

Wow this is all very interesting. I have been on plan for 4 weeks and usually drink more than a few one a week with diet pop. I have lost 15 so far. I now found this low car beer, 1 carb per beer but has lower alcohol content than other beers (2.7) so hope it's all good. Good luck to you!!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 20:28

Stats: 257/243/165 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%

I roll with drinks once a week.. A few more than I should but I am on week 4 and down 14 so far. I usually drink rye and diet or this new low carb beer I found 1 carb a beer- less alcohol tho ( 2.7%) anyways good luck to you! ( and I am always worried they are putting sugar in my coffee instead of sweetener so I hear ya on the mix up thing too!!)
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 11:22

Stats: 263/190/220 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I'm probably wrong but I did 3 weeks of induction with 3 Miller Lights every morning in December and lost 12. I work nights without eating so the beer is on a empty stomach when I need the energy. I did stop the diet (oops) for the last 4 weeks and only gained back 2. Starting again and we shall see what happens.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 18:26

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

This is an interesting thread because I find alcohol does set back my weight loss.

When I have drinks, I only drink rum and diet coke so no added carbs so the only reason I can come up with as to why it sets me back is the extra calories are the problem.

I usually lose a pound or two the next morning, surely caused by water loss but by the second day I can be up 3 lbs...probably because of putting liquids back in. It takes me 2-3 days to get back to where I was before I had the drinks and that throws off my weight loss for the whole week.

I've also noticed, the next day, I crave carby, salty foods but I work extra hard not to give in.

I experience this with as few as 3-4 drinks throughout the evening. The other thing I never do is snack when having drinks and if I know I'm going out I cut back during the day on my calories and even after all this, it seems to train wreck my weight loss for the week.

Just one more vice I've had to cut back on.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 19:21
Registered Member

Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice

No, alcohol isn't converted into glicogen. But your body will burn this first, as long as it is in your body. It won't cause an insulin rush, and it won't be stored in the body, but it will definitely hinder weight loss. Your body cannot burn fat while there is alcohol in your system.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 21:21

Plan: Custom
Stats: 206/201/185 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Good thread

Bang. This was my first find on a Google search for "drinking on atkins".

Some good stuff in here. Patina's account is the closest I found to my own experience. I also agree with maxxdunn. I have had weight fluctation with drinking alcohol and then re-hyrating myself the next day(s). Definitely throws me off ketosis a bit for 2 days then I come back. This includes binging on 20 carbs worth of blue corn chips the night of.

*Exeception: I finished a bag of microwave popcorn after a session with the 'Bob Marley' last week, I did NOT drink that week and snapped back into ketosis like it never happended the next day. That was approx. 55 carbs 5 days into the first week of induction.

I suspect there may be a way to 'pay' for your drinking/munching the next day with a solid workout of say 30 to 60 minutes either cardio or weights. I don't think a long walk would do it. If you are active in your work like muxxdunn that would do it.

Either way, Used to be more athletic 7 years ago when I first tried low-carb/atkins/ketosis dieting. I used it as my lazy man's 'spring training diet' to jumpstart my return to the gym and outdoor running.

These days I'm a lot more chair bound due to work. I'm lazier, older and really need to add the excercise component back to my life while on this diet. I also need to reduce salt. Don't want a heart attack!

I'm 9 days into this round of induction, and down 5lbs. Haven't done this for a couple years - but would say I should be down 8-10lbs at this point had I been more of an angel this time round.

Dry white & red wine are best. The hard drinks and low-carb beer seem to knock me off ketosis worse.

Partiers on Atkins beware!

Last edited by 39Guy : Mon, Feb-13-12 at 21:38. Reason: spelling
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-15, 08:23

Stats: 225/195/195 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Best drinks I've made

Got two that I love and still use... both based on 0 carb RUM with no flavoring (got to watch those flavored RUMs)

Call this the Slice Shot (Arnold Palmer with Rum... get it?)
-Ice
-Peach Ice Tea (Walmart variety packets)
-Lemon aid (again, just the Walmart variety sweetener packets)
-Rum to taste....

I call this the California Cream (Not Irish cream, BUT CLOSE)
-Silk Almond Milk (unsweetened, low/no crabs)
-RUM
-Liquid Stevia drink sweetener to taste.

Last edited by gsgriffin : Sat, Feb-28-15 at 07:46.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-15, 14:52
Registered Member

Stats: 139/128/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 46%

Doesn't wine have more carbs than hard liquor? A Jack and Diet Coke are zero carbs yet a glass of wine has....maybe 5?
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-15, 07:50

Stats: 225/195/195 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimevans
Doesn't wine have more carbs than hard liquor? A Jack and Diet Coke are zero carbs yet a glass of wine has....maybe 5?

The alcohol content in hard liquors is much higher than wine.... the alcohol is processed by the body to have the end effect that is similar to sugar/carbs. So though there are less carbs going in your mouth, your body turns the hard liquor into more carbs.