Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-24, 13:18

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

I went to Saladino's site and filled in my stats, and his projections for what I should eat was crazy! No way could ever eat that much protein and fat, nor could I eat a lot of veg and fruit. Fruit in particular is something I have always had to watch...even the "natural" sugars make me feel sick. I adore a good mixed fruit salad, but would always feel a bit sick after eating it. I think I must be very sugar/carb sensitive. Anyhow, I'm not sure males can totally predict what females should eat. And you're right...we're all very different. Actually, I'm very different in what I can eat compared to what I could eat 25. years ago. Up until I was nearly 50, I could pretty much eat what I wanted and not gain weight. But even a long time ago I knew I was sugar sensitive so despite having an incorrigible sweet tooth, I've always had to "watch out" in that regard.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-24, 05:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Carole, a short guide to Menopausal Weight Loss. https://optimisingnutrition.com/menopausal-weight-loss/
Optimising Nutrition has a large sub-set of women who found Marty Kendall's blog after he wrote, Menopausal Weight Gain based on Professors Raubenheimer and Simpson work.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/menopausal-weight-loss/

This has been a wild week on X for HAVA! This Q &A video caused the craziness: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...59&postcount=42

Everyone who has a horse in the race (it’s all about carbs, no fat, no seed oils, no fasting, etc) is upset. These threads are long, with posters misreading what was said, and not helpful at all to readers who want to fix their metabolic health.
"Dr Naiman:
I recently triggered the entire paleo/low carb/keto/carnivore community by expressing my opinion that magically replacing all of our seed oils with saturated fat might not improve outcomes"...followed by a seed oil rant that goes on numerous posts.
"So here I am, equally blaming diet AND exercise. And refined carbs AS WELL AS refined fats. And treating isolated subsets--like fructose, PUFA, and saturated fat--in a similar fashion; the dose makes the poison."

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-25-24 at 05:12.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-24, 14:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I didn't see value in the app for me. I'm familiar with the P:E diet and I've got a pretty good idea of which foods keep me from being hungry. But I must say that eating low carb, high protein, low fat is working better for me than low carb/high fat did. I feel better too!

Also, a recent liver scan tells me I don't have fatty liver and I think I can credit the new diet to that. One loses fatty liver pretty quickly when you cut down on energy.
  #49   ^
Old Yesterday, 04:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Glad you hear you are doing well Nancy! A slight energy deficit over the long term and improved metabolic health.

The low carb/ketoverse still gets hung up on the word calories. Replacing it with ENERGY when starting The P:E Diet works great. There is a bit more nuance in HAVA's SPC, it fixes a few minor problems with the hedonic factor… but easy to understand that bacon, 80% ground beef, cream cheese or ANY type of fat to satiety in a hypercaloric diet, has too many calories for weight loss with the PE Diet infographic.

Dr. Ted Naiman responded to a comment that a body does not burn calories with:
Quote:
Feel free to replace the word “calories” with “actual physical carbon atoms containing high-energy bonds that, once ingested, reside in body energy stores until oxidized in mitochondria in response to energy demand and are then exhaled as carbon dioxide.”
But I prefer brevity. 😁”

Yet another Bro Bodybuilder podcast, Grow or Die, interviewing Dr Ted Naiman, about the HAVA app, Satiety and the PE Diet. Basic questions, there have been better interviews but it does explain the HAVA approach and even gets into a PUFA / Saturated fat explanation. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000653435945

Last edited by JEY100 : Yesterday at 09:38.