Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 19:24

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 283/279/190 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 4%

we have avacado oil where i work.. has anyone ever tried it? ive been thinking about trying some
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 19:42
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Some thing that might help you is a scale, and my PLAN or fitday.com. I just bought a digital scale at Bed, Bath,and Beyond, for $30, with auto zero. I put my plate or bowl on it zero, add my lettuce, write down the weight, re zero, add whatever, record the weight, ect...
This really makes it quite accurate. Even weighs my dressing. I cooked all my life and I am very good at guessing measurements. Even I was off on meat portions, by quite a bit, I said 10 oz and it was 6 oz. So I will continue to use it until I know I'm in the ballpark. Lettuce I was off, also. Just an idea, hope it helps...Bru
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 03:26

Plan: Idiot-Proof Diet by India
Stats: 169.5/140/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Agree that it's less carb creep than calorie increase. OK - we don't count calories, but calories do count! Have found it's very easy to eat way more than the body needs if you snack / eat nuts + cheese, or cook with cheese, cream, mascarpone etc

Some of the recipes I have in a low carb cook book which use chesse, cream etc have over 1,500 calories for a single serving!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 240/215/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I don't think your issue is carb creep, it's calories. If I assume the cheese is cheddar, 3 oz of almonds and 2 oz of pork rinds I get 7 net carbs and 1170 calories. That 1170 calories is well over half your calorie needs for a day, and doesn't contain a lot of the nutrition your body needs to meet its needs other than calories.

Calories do count, even on a low carb diet.

The real problem is that the pigs and cows were fed corn (and dairy is very insulinogenic) Also almonds dont have the best omega6/3 ratio.

Your body doesn't count calories...it just knows what things are made of.

6k calories and proud.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 21:39

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Wow! Do you really eat 6k calories/day?
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 05:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/148/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

i found this thread really interesting because I maintained my LC weight loss for many years eating the basics with no problem. I rarely felt like I wanted to "eat the wall paper off the wall" the way I had on many other "diets". I love LC and won't go back to eating any other way. But as soon as I started introducing too much (I seemed to be able to handle some) processed LC foods I started to gain.
Someone on the board suggested looking at carbs rather than net carbs and it was an eye opener. I've gone back to the basics and feel good.
And I completely believe in "calories count". I think the reason I never over ate is because I did not awaken the sweet tooth monster until I started eating Atkins bars, LC ice cream etc.
So all that to ask this:
I always used low fat milk in my tea (of which I drink several a day). I then switched to cream due to the high carb count in milk. Then I switched to Light Cream.
So is it better to go with the less cal milk or the less carb light cream? I can drink either but could the cream be part of my weight gain?
Opinions?
Thanks.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 20:14

Plan: Taubes
Stats: 198/140.5/132 Male 156cm
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7
So all that to ask this:
I always used low fat milk in my tea (of which I drink several a day). I then switched to cream due to the high carb count in milk. Then I switched to Light Cream.
So is it better to go with the less cal milk or the less carb light cream? I can drink either but could the cream be part of my weight gain?
Opinions?
Thanks.

Hi MJ7, I'm a big tea drinker too ... 2 or 3 a day, and a coffee once every few days. I drink my tea black, which I really enjoy. No sweetener or anything at all. Not as any low-carb strategy, I've been drinking it black for as long as I remember. Have you tried this? When I started drinking it 'straight' I made the tea a little weaker, which helped.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 19:01

Plan: atkins/paleo-start 3/12
Stats: 184/147/135 Female 63 in
BF:37/29/25
Progress: 76%

Hi MJ7
From everything I've read so far about Atkins, (and I'd take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm a newbie), it would be better to have cream. From the Atkins viewpoint- the carbs rather than calories are what to be concerned about. I'd go with cream, and not the milk (for your tea). That said, everyone has different responses to certain foods . Hope that helps!

fyi - totally hear you about the Atkins bars. Tried one and it made me ravenous! and dropped me out of ketosis- took a week to back on track! funny how some people do respond to sugar alcohols as carbs and have to count them. at least I know now to avoid them!

- J