Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 11:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default New changes in ECC/PECC and Custom ECC

Hi folks,

We'll implementing a new change on how PECC (possible Effective Carb Count) values are handled.

1. For custom items, you can enter your own PECC value. This should help resolve issued where members want to use their own determined ECC, or manufactuerer's claimed ECC/net carb, etc.

2. PECC for USDA entries
The USDA database contains a mixture of data entries. Some are based on a manufacturer's label, and some are based on analytical data, and some from a mixture of both.

The documentation of the USDA-SR17 data makes the following points:

1. Carbs by difference includes dietary fiber. Howeber, this only applies to data from analysis. Manufacturer's labels my subtract the fiber from the carb count

2. Data from manufacturer can follow any of the follwoing 9-4-4 formuals:

A Calories = (Carbs x 4) + (Protein x 4) + (Fat x 9)

B. Calories = (Carbs-Fiber x 4) + (Protein x 4) + (Fat x 9)

No indication is given as to which method was used to arrive at the data provided in the database.

For the above reasons, My P.L.A.N. will only subtract the fiber if it's known for sure that the fiber has not yet been subtracted.

The method that will be implemented shortly is as follows:

If the food item was based on analytical data, and has provided the nitorgen and CHO factors required to calculate the calories, then, and only then, the PECC value will subtract the fiber from the carb count.

This implementation will miss items that may have not subtracted the fiber from the carb count. However, since we have no way of knowing this, it will be misleading to members to subtract the fiber, when there is no indication that it has not yet been subtracted.

This will provided the safest guess, as opposed to always subtracting. There are several items that may result in zero, or even negative carb count, if we just subtract without considering all the possibilities.

But for those of you who don't want to deal with ECC/PECC/Net carbs etc, the default option is to just show fiber. But you need to know that many items have the fiber subtracted, and you should not assume that you can always subtract them.

Finally, we will still investigate if there is any way to further refine the process, and narrow down which is which, and we'll contact the USDA to find out if there are any other indicatos to use to find out when fiber was, or was not, subtracted. Will keep you updated.

You will see that new PECC values later today, if your settings indicate that you want to see PECC values instead of fiber.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 18:44
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

This is GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Wa'il!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 01:55
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

So can I assume that all whole foods, ie strawberries, cream, mushrooms, steak, etc., have their values calculated by analysis, and therefore fiber has NOT been subtracted, and that anything that would have a label (like a soup mix, or ice cream, or crackers) is in the not-sure category?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 09:49
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
So can I assume that all whole foods, ie strawberries, cream, mushrooms, steak, etc., have their values calculated by analysis, and therefore fiber has NOT been subtracted, and that anything that would have a label (like a soup mix, or ice cream, or crackers) is in the not-sure category?

No

A small set of whole foods maybe have energy,carbs and/or fiber assiged souce code 4, which is designated as "Imputed" data.

In addition, some manufacturers provide analytical data, though not many.

So in general, it's true, but not always.

You can find the USDA-SR17 documentation here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodco.../SR17/sr17.html

And you can even download the database, in full, or abbreviated format. But you'll need the full format to find the nitrogen and CHO factors, and the source codes designated for each nutirent of every food item in the database.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 19:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:

I knew that some items like broccoli were too high in carbs on My Plan....I am very happy to know its confirmed.

Thanks for doing everything possible to insure that the users of My Plan have accurate carb counts.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 21:01
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipid
I knew that some items like broccoli were too high in carbs on My Plan....I am very happy to know its confirmed..

The carbs have not changed, they are the same. Only the PECC values.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 01:24
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa'il
And you can even download the database, in full, or abbreviated format.
Nope! I'll leave the hard work to you, and just enjoy MyPLAN.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 17:57
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default Just Wondering.....

if in the future will MY PLAN show both the fiber and the PECC instead of having to chose one or the other in user preferences?
Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-06, 00:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 165/165/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down What's 100 grams?

1. This 100 grams for every single item I ate today adds up to almost 3,000 calories, yet I ate very little and even forgot to eat lunch! I had a snack of cheese that I called lunch. How can I input correct amounts of foods? What's 100 grams, anyway?

2. There is so much junk or faux food on these lists that it's hard to find the real thing! It would be nice if only basic, real foods were at the top of each list, then put the man-made or tampered-with stuff in another category. I guess it's an indication of how little actual untampered-with food many Americans eat.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-06, 00:29

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

1 oz = 28.38 g
100g = 3.5 oz
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 08:23

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Can a UK twit ask about Lin/Flax seed? One of the postings - I forget which, suggests I can ignore the carbs because of the fibre, is this so? I buy them whole & grind them. Today I have had 8grm = 2.7 carbs = 2.2 fibre. I'd be grateful for any advice because if I count the carbs it will take me over the 20 I try to limit myself to.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 08:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebecaCody
1. This 100 grams for every single item I ate today adds up to almost 3,000 calories, yet I ate very little and even forgot to eat lunch! I had a snack of cheese that I called lunch. How can I input correct amounts of foods? What's 100 grams, anyway?

2. There is so much junk or faux food on these lists that it's hard to find the real thing! It would be nice if only basic, real foods were at the top of each list, then put the man-made or tampered-with stuff in another category. I guess it's an indication of how little actual untampered-with food many Americans eat.

My scales weigh in grams or oz. In My Plan if I eat less than 100 grams - say - 55 grams, I delete the 1 in the first column & type .55. That way it records the correct figures. I find that a lot of Brit foods have carbs etc in different amounts to American food So I work them out for myself from the packaging on 'Custom Foods'. I hope this is helpful.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 13:17
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Nuttygran, aren't you doing Atkins '72? No fiber gets deducted on that plan. None whatsoever.

Still, you seem to have made excellent progress, so I don't think it would matter much if you did go over 20 grams of carbs, especially of something like flax/linseed. The only exception would be, I think, if you are doing Induction. That's JMO, though.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 13:20

BF:

Yes I am doing the '72. Thanks Kisal. It was 27.1 altogether today. I must cut down to balance it.

Last edited by Nuttygran : Sat, Aug-01-09 at 13:31.