Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default LC crab cakes

I've been experimenting with low-carb crab cakes (with local picked crab, it's not too expensive here). Most recipes suggest almond flour to replace the traditional bread crumbs but I didn't have any, so just tried mixing crab, spices, a little onion, and egg together; and added bits of butter to the mix before baking. They're not really "cakes" and sometimes run together but they taste wonderful with dipping sauce! I was thinking of coconut flour as a binder, but maybe I'll add finely diced celery or peppers to give them a bit more heft and texture.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 20:10

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Having lived in Maryland as a teenager, I love crab cakes! I've used flax meal as a binder and it worked well - with no off-putting taste.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 23:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I wonder is crushed pork rinds and egg would bind crab meat?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 08:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I grew up in MD- the nice places use no filler at all
The trick is after forming patties, let them set in fridge for at least a good hour before you broil them.
they are one of my favorite foods

one of the local chains serves them over a hot garlicky coleslaw (shredded slaw, garlic, butter, salt and pepper). i LOVE it and have started serving them this way, too.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I grew up in MD- the nice places use no filler at all
The trick is after forming patties, let them set in fridge for at least a good hour before you broil them.
they are one of my favorite foods

one of the local chains serves them over a hot garlicky coleslaw (shredded slaw, garlic, butter, salt and pepper). i LOVE it and have started serving them this way, too.

You're right about the no filler, Robin. My mom (and then I) always used a recipe from the back of a can of Giant brand fresh crab legs and meat that had no mayo, no filler. This would have been the early 70s - it's no longer on the can as far as I know. A tiny bit of flax (no more than 1 T per pound of crab) seems to work well, but I would welcome a recipe with NO filler.

I live in WA now, another place that takes crab cakes seriously, but I've yet to find one that truly measures up to MD crab cakes. Hmmm, I'll be in DC/MD this summer - what is the chain that sells CCs on slaw? I'll seek them out...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 15:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I tried using only 1 egg (per one 8 oz carton of picked crab) and it worked well, also added a bit of Jamaican jerk seasoning for spice. A bit crumbly for finger food but can be eaten with a fork.

For another half-carton, I mixed crab with a few T of cream cheese, spice, and baked in the oven just till cream cheese softened. I used it for dip with a burger and veggies, it was so good, the crab taste was really enhanced. Crab has a mild taste and it's easy to overpower it when using the real stuff.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 06:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I live in WA now, another place that takes crab cakes seriously, but I've yet to find one that truly measures up to MD crab cakes. Hmmm, I'll be in DC/MD this summer - what is the chain that sells CCs on slaw? I'll seek them out...

Hope you have fun visiting! You will be amazed at how much some parts of DC have changed- if you have time, I really reccomend the zoo. As run down and depressing as it was, it is phenomal now. The asia trail where the baby pandas live is especially impressive
The chain is Clyde's- there are 6-8 altogether, and 2 are in MD- one in Columbia and one in Rockville (called Towering Oaks). It is a nice place, but not super fancy- the kind of place the college kids always joke "when the parents come to visit, go to Clyde's" (as everyone is pleased with their menus). The "theme" to each restaurant is different, but they are all really cool decor. The one in my neighborhood has vintage cars in the bar, (fake, old fashioned) airplanes hanging and an old toy train makes its way around the restaurant above your head once an hour or so:
http://www.clydes.com/
BTW- we are supposed to have BRUTAL heat this summer, so pack accordingly

Pazia- ooh, sounds yummy. i love crab dip. if i order it when out, i just ask for celery and carrot sticks to scoop. it works well, since it is so thick.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 08:47

Pazia, good to know that you were able to hold them together with only egg, no almond meal or other binder. Did you broil or fry? I'm partial to pan fried in butter, which definitely tests the ability for them to hold together!

Thanks for the recommendation on Clyde's - I will seek them out while there. We're staying near the zoo, so if we can tear ourselves away from the museums, we will check it out. Yeah, DC can be brutal in the summer. I have good practice having lived in Houston for ~40 years (from the frying pan into the fire?) but I know I'll be outdoors more in DC than I usually was in the peak of summer in Houston. After a week in DC, we head to the southern Md coast (Chesapeake Beach) to cool off.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 21:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've been wanting to try more types of seafood, so I tried crab cakes this week. They were fantastic. I just wish crab wasn't so expensive. My recipe was 2 4-oz cans of crab meat, an egg, 1 Tbsp coconut flour, and (I think) 1/2 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning. I don't know what 'real' crab cakes are supposed to taste like, but these are definitely a keeper, especially if you're like me and you're trying to ease your way into something without a strong flavour. The only problem with them was that they were watery, and I assume I just didn't drain the crab meat well enough.

I love coconut flour in patties or meatballs of any kind. It helps hold the meat together, it absorb liquid and fat, it gives it an almost disturbing bread-like quality, and the coconut flavour is usually minimal. If in doubt, I add a little extra spices or onion.