Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 154/150/128 Female 176cm (5'9")
BF:
Progress: 15%
Talking Quick Mushroom Soup

Quick Mushroom Soup

I just came up with it today, so its pretty basic, but yummy. Measurements are not very important, but I am giving you how I did it today.

200gr of Swiss mushrooms (7oz)
dollop of butter
50-100 gr of cream (3oz)
parsley

Put the mushrooms in a pan with just a little bit of water and the butter (I didnt even cut them). Simmer until they get tender then pour them into a blender. Add the cream and parsley and wizz to your desire. I left is somewhat chunky and had a little bit of blue cheese on the side. Ready in 10 min.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Oct-19-03 at 12:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default quick cream or chowder soup

I got the idea from Dana Carpender's Salmon soup from 15 min low carb recipies. I didn't have all the ingredients though.

Wha tI did was melt 1.5 tbsp butter in a sauce pan. Then I drained a small can of mushrooms and sauteed it in the butter, chopping the mushroom as I went. When it was nice and warmed, I added about 1-2 cups cream. Then I added 1 pouch of salmon, and some thyme. I put in salt and pepper to taste. After the cream was warmed through I sprinkled on some thicknotthin for a little thicker of a soup. It turned out wonderful and the kiddo loved it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Cream Of Mushroom Soup

Cream of Mushroom Soup

5 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms *
1 stalk celery - chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste (1/4 tsp each)
1/8 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp (more or less) of Xanathan Gum to thicken **
1 tbsp sherry (optional)

In a large heavy saucepan, sauté the mushrooms, broth, onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

To the above mushrooms & broth add the butter, thickening agent, salt, pepper, heavy cream.

Bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste and add sherry if desired.

Makes about 6 cups

NOTES:

Prep time: Approximately 20 minutes
Cook time: Approximately 30 minutes
Ready in: Approximately 50 minutes

This makes a very rich, tasty soup or sauce that would be nice over all kinds of things, like chicken, meatballs, fish, vegetables etc.

After adding the cream, make sure you simmer it long enough so that the cream is no longer white and takes on the light brownish color of the mushrooms.

* Vary the amount of mushrooms depending on your personal carb restriction. If you can afford the carbs, a few more mushrooms would be even better.

* * Use your normal LC thickening agent if neccessary.

I usually make double or triple this recipe. It's sooo good. My family won't eat canned mushroom soup anymore.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 13:51

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

I've been using this recipe for years now for green bean casserole (even low carb fried onions), but I end up having so much of this soup leftover that I freeze it and have it when I need comfort food. It is so good and the regular version is pretty low carb. This is Emeril's recipe, and I get rave reviews every time I make it. I make it for almost every dinner party because it shows well and nobody ever misses the starch It's perfect in the winter. For the casserole all I do is add it to green beans and fontina or swiss cheese along with spices, then I dredge the onions in carbquick and fry them up.

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
6 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup brandy
6 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/rec...6_32745,00.html
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 13:47
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Mushroom Barley Soup

It's what I made for lunch today from a leftover pork shoulder roast bone I had in my freezer. It was delicious and VERY filling! Barley isn't suitable until the grains rung of the OWL ladder, but is sure is good in this soup. To cut carbs, you could use perhaps rutabaga or jicama grated in this. But you won't get the grainy taste of the barley if you do.

We used to enjoy the most wonderful mushroom barley soup at a popular restaurant in Houston called Alfred’s Delicatessen. It was down near the University of Houston campus, in Rice Village. Not sure if it’s still in operation or not, as I’ve been gone from the area for over 10 years now. You Houstonians tell me it's still there. What a legend that place was.
This soup at Alfred's was, bar none, THE best mushroom soup I’ve ever eaten!! I don’t know if they used beef stock or pork stock to make it. All I know as it was GOOD! They used much more barley in theirs, making it a very high carb soup. But lowering the barley is doable IMO. We ordered this soup every time we went in the place…..along with their delicious hot pastrami sandwiches. The above is my attempt at copying that wonderful gastronomic experience. It was close, but my stock wasn’t as rich I don’t think. Next time I’ll increase the meat broth and reduce the water by that amount, but 1 c. beef stock was all I had in the freezer. But this was still very good and I will definitely make it again! This is not suitable until the grains (final) rung of the Atkins OWL ladder as it has barley in it. I used an 8 qt. Mirro pressure cooker to cook this soup in just 20 minutes once the cooker came to pressure (which took about 8-10 min). I just LOVE cooking soups up FAST with a pressure cooker!! If you don’t own one, this is going to take you about 1½ hours to cook in a conventional stew pot in order for the barley to get totally done. Mine above is shown with my Rosemary Onion Almond Thins.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large pork (or beef) bone (with 1# meat still on it)
3 oz. onion, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped not too much
1 c. beef or pork broth (I just happened to have some beef broth in my freezer)
2½ qts. water
¼ c. pearl barley [Too high in carbs to add more]
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. onion powder
1 c. heavy cream
Xanthan or guar gum to thicken (about 1/2 tsp.)
Sprinkle of cayenne or paprika (optional, for garnish)

DIRECTIONS: Place leftover bone in pressure cooker. Add all but the last 3 ingredients listed above to the pot. Seal the lid on the pressure cooker and on high heat, bring to pressure, which will take about 8-10 minutes. When knob begins to rock quite vigorously releasing steam, lower heat slightly until the know just rocks gently. Cook for exactly 20 minutes after lowering heat. Remove cooker to over your sink, run cold water over cooker lid to release pressure faster. CAUTION: Avoid leaning over the cooker while pressure is releasing under the water flow. I turn my head away. When vent button goes down, open the cooker and remove the bone to a cutting board to cool enough to handle. Cut all meat from the bone (discarding fat and gristle) and chop. Add meat back to the pot. Add cream. Turn on heat and simmer low as you sprinkle xanthan gum (or your preferred thickener) over the surface of the soup, stirring it in immediately. Wait a couple minutes and add more thickener, as needed (I had to add it 4-5 times) until it is the thickness you like. Serve in soup bowls with a sprinkle of paprika or cayenne pepper on top. Serve with your favorite low-carb crackers or bread.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calculated on 6 servings (about 1½ c. each), each contains:

292 calories
16.05 g fat
12.22 g carbs, 2.68 g fiber, 9.54 g NET CARBS (would go up to 14.7 NC if you doubled the barley! I checked.)
24.88 g protein
443 mg sodium
659 mg potassium
35% RDA Vitamin B6, 30% B12, 35% copper, 18% iron, 50% niacin, 43% phosphorous, 50% riboflavin, 63% selenium, 75% thiamin and 31% zinc (a VERY healthy soup indeed, so well worth the carbs!!)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 15:27

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Cream of mushroom soup

Someone posted this in the forum tonight. It was good.
2-4 servings

1lb mushrooms
1 onion
oil
1 pt vegetable stock (veg stock cubes are fine)
2-3oz blue cheese or a dash of cream

Fry the onion and mushrooms in oil or butter. Add stock, water and cheese, then blitz it, add seasoning if required, and serve.

Full recipe counts for blue cheese version:

carbs 26g
protein 28g
fat 35g
fiber 7g
calories: 495
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 18:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can you add a link to the post please, so the OP can be credited?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-12, 17:27

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...89&postcount=17

Here's the link to the original post.

It's equally good and less carby if leek is used instead of the onion.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 07:56

Plan: Almost Atkins
Stats: 153/139/127 Female 5'4
BF:31.5%/29.8%/20%
Progress: 54%
Default Cream of Mushroom soup with onions / galirc

I'm blown away by how good this was, much better than most of the restos I've been to, and so easy to make too! My first attempt and I am so excitedly in love with it.

you'd need:

1. mushrooms (I used 2 boxes, one white and one chestnut) - when peeled they filled a medium pot
2. red onions / garlic - this is to taste, so up to you if you want to leave this out. I threw them in since they were going to expire.
3. 500ml of water + chicken stock cube (or just 500ml of whatever stock)
4. 1 cup (300ml) of heavy cream (I used jersey thick cream).

so basically:
1. wash mushrooms and break them up into smaller pieces. fry in coconut oil (or butter) with onions and garlic until they look cooked. there will be water coming out which is fine. my pot was too small so I used a pan as well.

2. in a pot, with the cooked mushrooms / onions / garlic / mushroom juices, add in your water / chicken stock. bring to boil. after 3 mins or so, bring to a simmer or 10-15 mins. (optional adding of chili / flakes)

3. throw into blender and blend until you like the consistency. you can also save up some mushrooms to mix into the blended soup later, if you like chunks of mushroom in your soup.

4. pour blended mix back into pot, on a low heat, whisk in the heavy cream

5. serve once whisked! added black pepper and garlic toppings to mine.

-----

it makes quite a decent sized pot of soup and incredibly yummy. if you want it thicker / thinner, adjust the cream amount. I can't believe I didn't make this sooner!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 07:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

This sounds great. I bet I could do a less-water version of it also for cooking. I love tuna "noodle" (shirataki) casserole. My mom made it with cream of mushroom soup.

What size were your boxes of mushrooms? Here, they're sold in 8-oz packages in most grocery stores.