Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power-modified
Stats: 95/103/98 Female 59inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress: 267%
Default coconut oil and your thyroid function

Have you taken coconut oil/used it (however you'd like to say it)?

If so, what was the effect?
How did you know it was working/not working?
How much do you consume?
How do you eat it? On certain foods?
Would you recommend it for someone who suspects hypothyroidism due to low body temp?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 21:24

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Did nothing for my thyroid function-same symptoms. Actually started to gain weight with it. Hypothyroidism requires having your meds optimized and a diagnois cannot be made from low body temps. I ended up having a thyroidectomy and never had low body temps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 02:50
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power-modified
Stats: 95/103/98 Female 59inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress: 267%

thanks for this info, I've heard that it's often a pretty good indication but i do need to be tested. I just don't have insurance at the moment.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 17:19

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

And here I am, have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism, the most common type) and I've been well medicated (Armour Thyroid) for over 12 years, but my body temps are VERY low. Why? Because I also have three other autoimmune diseases. Low body temps don't 'diagnose' anything. I'm sorry you have no insurance, I see you are in Florida.

You 'can' get your own set of TSH, Free T4, Free T3 through an online lab for 200 dollars LESS than the doctor would charge. One that comes to mind (There are quite a few nowadays, and I don't 'work' for any of them) is healthcheckusa.com You go online, order the labs you need, then they give you a list of labs near you..their doctor signs the lab slip, you pay online, go get the labs done and then they send the results to you.

If you decide to do that, there is a 'discount code' at checkout that will save you some money: 12345 (and it's under 90 dollars for Thyroid Profile II).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 18:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 284.4/151.8/134.4 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 88%

I started taking coconut oil just 2 weeks ago because the weight wasnt shifting as quick as I wanted.

I take 4 tablespoons a day: sometimes off the spoon or drizzled over salad, cook fish or seafood etc with it.

It took about 4 days before the scales started to shift. But ever since then I have lost something each and every day; sometimes up to half a kilo just overnight.

I am so close to my goal weight and I havent changed a single thing in my diet or my exercise - only added coconut oil to the daily regime of food comsumption
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 02:34

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkinMe
I started taking coconut oil just 2 weeks ago because the weight wasnt shifting as quick as I wanted.

I take 4 tablespoons a day: sometimes off the spoon or drizzled over salad, cook fish or seafood etc with it.

It took about 4 days before the scales started to shift. But ever since then I have lost something each and every day; sometimes up to half a kilo just overnight.

I am so close to my goal weight and I havent changed a single thing in my diet or my exercise - only added coconut oil to the daily regime of food comsumption

Hi ShrinkinMe,

What are you eating besides coconut oil?

I would love to see the scale moving downwards every day, but, as I suspect I have a thyroid condition (TSH: 2.24) and also get low blood sugar if I go without food for too long, I am finding it very very hard to do something about my weight at the moment.

That said, I'm not actually trying that hard either as it just seems so pointless...

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: leanbodies consulting
Stats: 183/130/130 Female 5'4.5"
BF:lean
Progress: 100%

CO did nothing for me either.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-11, 05:56

BF:

Actually, I HAVE to make another 'point'. LOL I'm a small person...who was very large from eating the wrong things at one time.

Now I'm a small, OLDER person, and eating coconut oil 'takes up' a lot of calories that I'm not active enough to 'be able to do'. so, yeah, it kind of 'slowed' my maintenance plan, lol.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-11, 05:46

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

CO gave me abdominal pains and diarrhoea Go carefully if you decide to try it!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 05:36

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 253/237.1/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have have hashi's and celiac for years. I just started using coconut oil because I started eating Paleo. I don't know if it is my new no-grain, no dairy, no legumes or the coconut oil but I have lost 13 lbs in appx 3 weeks. I am sure it is all water. But I'll take it.

One thing that I have heard over and over though, if you have autoimmune thyroid problems (hashimotos,etc.) you really need to follow a gluten free diet. Although the coconut oil is a little pricey I do like the taste of it when cooking over lower quality olive oils.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 08:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyGirl
I have have hashi's and celiac for years. I just started using coconut oil because I started eating Paleo. I don't know if it is my new no-grain, no dairy, no legumes or the coconut oil but I have lost 13 lbs in appx 3 weeks. I am sure it is all water. But I'll take it.

One thing that I have heard over and over though, if you have autoimmune thyroid problems (hashimotos,etc.) you really need to follow a gluten free diet. Although the coconut oil is a little pricey I do like the taste of it when cooking over lower quality olive oils.

Hey CindyGirl!!!

That's great news about the weight loss - whatever the cause may be, your new diet seems to be the way to go!!!

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 22:29

BF:

I'm not a coconut oil user. I'm sure I could if I wanted to. But...I did try it for a little while (maybe it just wasn't the 'right brand'..it WAS very low priced, lol I prolly just 'got what I paid for', lol).

OOOH, CindyGirl, congratulation on the weightloss!!!

Butter makes me lose (I actually have to be a little 'careful' about using a lot of butter now and not getting 'enough other foods and carbs'...who would have EVER thought I'd have THAT happen??? LOL). And I love olive oil....yummmm.

The one thing I'm opposed to is when I read or hear 'Oh, just rub coconut oil on your throat and your thyroid will 'clear right up'. My goodness!!! Not HARDLY!!! (I was waiting to hear 'Jump in a vat of melted chocolate and ALL autoimmune disease will go away....now, as I get old and feeble, you folks MAY have to come and fish me out of the vat! lol).
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 15:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 284.4/151.8/134.4 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi ShrinkinMe,

What are you eating besides coconut oil?

I would love to see the scale moving downwards every day, but, as I suspect I have a thyroid condition (TSH: 2.24) and also get low blood sugar if I go without food for too long, I am finding it very very hard to do something about my weight at the moment.

That said, I'm not actually trying that hard either as it just seems so pointless...

amanda

I am on low carb and I also suffer with dizziness and a sick feeling in my stomach if something doesnt go into my mouth at least every four hours if not sooner.

Thats why I love the low carb and if I dont eat before feeling hungry, then I find the scales and BMI move slower.

I am lazy and rarely exercise. Its really is solely the diet that is helping me lose the weight.

I have broken away from all I have read and learnt about dieting including the rules of low carb. I could binge eat, eat really large amounts of food, exercise wasnt even on the agenda due to a neck and shoulder injury............oh the list goes on.
So I decided to do what felt right for me and it has been working like a treat.
(PS: Just changed my current weight down again)

And the best pride booster in the world was running into two sets of friends within the same week. The first set walked straight past me and went to hubby saying hello. They last saw me at Christmas.

The second set, the hubby introduced himself to me after saying hello to hubby. In his defence, I was wearing sunglasses. The wife said hello to hubby and was waiting for an intro......I could see it in her eyes.
I last saw them in Feb this year.

PM me and I would be more than happy to tell you what and how I am doing and maybe you could take that, customise it for yourself and you too can feel better.

Last edited by ShrinkinMe : Mon, Nov-14-11 at 16:04.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 05:39

BF:

Hi there ShrinkinMe,

You wrote this above:

Quote:
PM me and I would be more than happy to tell you what and how I am doing and maybe you could take that, customise it for yourself and you too can feel better.

I just tried to PM you but got a message that you don't want to receive PMs!!! So I'm replying here.

I think you might not be able to PM me back because you have only posted five times on this forum, but I would be interested to hear about your plan.

I am not desperate to lose weight any more at this point and think I have found out what my problem may have been: low iodine and low iron.

I have started taking both of these as supplements and have experienced a boost of energy and some minor weight loss.

But your post has made me curious, so why not post something in my journal if you can't PM me back?

If I knew more about you, I'd even offer you my email address, but as you're new to the forum, I'm being a bit cautious. Do you have a website or a blog that you could post a link to?

Thanks in advance,

amanda
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 11:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkinMe
I am on low carb and I also suffer with dizziness and a sick feeling in my stomach if something doesnt go into my mouth at least every four hours if not sooner.

Thats why I love the low carb and if I dont eat before feeling hungry, then I find the scales and BMI move slower.

I am lazy and rarely exercise. Its really is solely the diet that is helping me lose the weight.

I have broken away from all I have read and learnt about dieting including the rules of low carb. I could binge eat, eat really large amounts of food, exercise wasnt even on the agenda due to a neck and shoulder injury............oh the list goes on.
So I decided to do what felt right for me and it has been working like a treat.
(PS: Just changed my current weight down again)

And the best pride booster in the world was running into two sets of friends within the same week. The first set walked straight past me and went to hubby saying hello. They last saw me at Christmas.

The second set, the hubby introduced himself to me after saying hello to hubby. In his defence, I was wearing sunglasses. The wife said hello to hubby and was waiting for an intro......I could see it in her eyes.
I last saw them in Feb this year.

Oh, I was so happy in reading this that I actually jumped out my seat squeeling!!! LOL You are smart...too....to boot (no we cannot eat everything and anything even lowcarb and still lose weight..good for YOU for realizing that!!!).

Hee hee...giggle....congraulations to you!!