Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#166   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 19:09
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Okay. Well, I'll let you know how it turns out once I start.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 02:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Fascinating Interview with Vilhjalmur Stefansson,
Reposted by Dr Michael Eades on Twitter

Skip to 11:55 for details of his all meat diet. Note, "you don’t have to eat organs, that is a peculiar folklore " Inuit feed those to the dogs.

https://youtu.be/gT7u2GlEfxs

Love the pipe smoking professor/interviewer

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-28-18 at 03:02.
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 05:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think we have to be careful, Stefansson didn't meet all of the Inuit/northern native groups. Also there are non-liver food sources of vitamin A the Inuit ate that we don't. Nutrition data gives 100 grams of Beluga whale, that's about 100 calories, as 7 percent of daily vitamin A requirement, so at 2000 calories that would give 140 percent. But that's a ridiculous 100 percent of calories as protein. If you assumed 30 percent protein, that goes down to 40 percent requirement for vitamin A. You could probably fluff that up, there are accounts of very high food consumption by traditional Inuit, not exactly a sedentary lifestyle. Also, like grassfed meat vs. conventional, the herbivores eaten are likely to have fat richer in beta carotene Liver isn't an essential food, the nutrients in liver are, we can't assume that the Inuit didn't need liver, so we don't. We don't know that all groups didn't need and didn't eat liver, and we don't know that they didn't make up for the lack of nutrients from liver in other foods that we don't have access to.

Understand that I'm not arguing that we must need liver, just that there's uncertainty here.
  #169   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 06:16

BF:

Quote:
According to an analysis of data from the 2007–2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), the average daily dietary vitamin A intake in Americans aged 2 years and older is 607 mcg RAE [12]. Adult men have slightly higher intakes (649 mcg RAE) than adult women (580 mcg RAE). Although these intakes are lower than the RDAs for individual men and women, these intake levels are considered to be adequate for population groups.

One thing to throw in with "requirements" is that they're usually not what people are getting on a standard diet, anyways. The requirement for men and women given in this article is 900 and 700 mcg respectively. To be fair, vitamin content of the carnivore diet should be compared to what people would otherwise have eaten, not to some ideal that most people weren't eating in the first place. I mean, you can still aim for some ideal. but there's a reason

Quote:
these intake levels are considered to be adequate for population groups.

Requirements are generally fluffed up, there's a wide safety margin. Personally I like the insurance--but without insurance, most people do fine. But it's in the nature of insurance that you hope you don't need it. If the price is low enough, it's worth it to prevent even a fairly unlikely catastrophe.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/V...thProfessional/
  #170   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 07:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

What a treat to hear Stefansson recount his adventures. Very respectful to the natives who mastered living in arctic conditions, and by nature, a curious scientist/explorer who has fascinating stories.
  #171   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 11:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

If you think zero carb people can be bitter and argumentative, you should read some posts from the fruitarian site. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I just figured they are missing a nutrient in their eating plan that promotes kindness and a generous heart
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 09:19

BF:

http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic...135.pdf?level=1

Found this on the Inuit and vitamin c when somebody asked on Dr Westman's page about scurvy... they think page 4, with its veggie allowance comparable to original Atkins Induction might give them scurvy...

Quote:
The three minor meals of dried meat or fish, totalling approximately 700 g
for the average adult male, provided at least 7 mg (muskox) to 13 mg (char) of
vitamin C per day. The 500 g main meal of boiled meat provided an additional
minimum 1 mg (king eider) to 68 mg (ringed seal liver) of the vitamin.
According to Hgygarrd (1941), 35 percent of the vitamin C leached from
boiling bird and seal flesh is recoverable in the stock, which is Kutuervik was
always consumed as part of the meal. The broth in this case would have
provided an additional 2 to 37 mg of the vitamin.

Somebody made the claim that Inuit needed to eat whale blubber to get their vitamin c... the Inuit diet was more varied than that, from region to region. The real answer is, meat has enough vitamin c. Like other water-soluble nutrients, boiling and then throwing away the water is an excellent way to get rid of vitamin c. 17th century sailors went with preserving pork in brine, and then discarding the brine. That will work. If you wanted scurvy.

Maybe vitamin c requirement really does go down on a low carb diet, but it doesn't look like it actually needs to, depending on cooking method, or whether the broth is consumed, the vitamin c requirement that's been established as actually real rather than fluffed 'cuz fruits and veggies are wonderful and we need a reason why, doesn't look like it's that forbidding to reach.
  #173   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 17:04
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

It's getting popular. Good Morning America did a segment on carnivory this morning:

https://youtu.be/8sIou4Dfl5Y
  #174   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 04:32

Amber O'Hearn has a good new interview with Robb Wolf on podcast. She noted at the end she has updated her long standing how to eat guide, as more people come to a carnivore Diet from a Ketogenic Diet, not just from standard diets.

http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not...mostly-fat.html

Also recommends Dr Ede’s articles on why vegetables can hurt some. And the JustMeat.co website for MANY resources. Huge list of articles, studies, etc at: http://justmeat.co. Her guide at firstvlink also has more resources.

https://robbwolf.com/2018/09/11/epi...carnivore-diet/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Sep-13-18 at 04:51.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 06:45

Listened to a new podcast with Dr. Georgia Ede. She has eaten a very low plant diet for years. But for three months now has been doing an all Carnivore Diet. She feels mental benefits, and gives her hypotheses why this may be, and has lost 16 pounds as a post-menopausal women without calorie restriction. Covers other many topics, bioavailability of vitamins from plants, cancer, butwanted to add this here.
https://www.peak-human.com/home/dr-...-of-plant-foods
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks, Janet! She's great.
  #177   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 09:44

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I eat cooked veggies once per day in the PM, no raw veggies as I now believe from what I've read that the raw ends up in the Colon unabsorbed and undigested because the cells in the plants aren't broken without cooking and I also read that blending them into a shake doesn't break the cells either so it can't be absorbed by the body and overtaxes the Colon. I will not any "fiber" with hulls or shells or anything you could dry and weave into a mat LOLOL
Lets just say I don't eat livestock feed!

Meat digests 100%

To elaborate on my veggies, I eat cooked Cauliflower, Broccoli Florette with the woody stems removed, celery with all of the fibrous strings removed, any tomatoes with skin and seeds removed, garlic and onions cook down, green beans if they are VERY tender with low fiber and haven't gone to seed, Zucchini and yellow crookneck squash are very easy to digest too.

~also spinach I eat stirfried but heavy greens like turnip greens, kale, or other leafy greens need a lot more cooking than spinach.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Sep-20-18 at 09:58.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 10:55

BF:

I've become a bit suspicious of spinach, at least on a personal level. Going "carnivore" but keeping in heavy cream and various artificial sweeteners and coffee, I generally feel a lot better, and find it easier to stay more ketogenic (at least as far as ketogenic ratio/keeping a low anti-ketogenic load goes, I don't actually measure ketones). A more ketogenic diet generally gives me this, as well as getting rid of some shoulder pain I had on and off working out. I've gone long periods where the only fruit or vegetable source I had most days was spinach, didn't do quite as good. Of course it's possible a couple of ounces of peanuts and/or rum once a week had an effect. Work also forces me to be much more active, so it might just be easier to be in the ketosis that I'm not measuring, or something. Also mania decreases feelings of pain, much the mirror of the way that depression can increase discomfort/pain, and being in a fast paced work environment pushes me towards hypo much more often.

I'm probably not the best guinea pig to generalize from.
  #179   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-18, 13:38

Plan: keto
Stats: 156/127.8/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

why is this thread in the war zone?? new to the site and was looking for carnivore/zero carb and I would have never guessed it to be in a war zone
  #180   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-18, 15:21

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

If you read the OP's first post, it will give you an answer to your question. In some places, low carb and especially zero carb, catch a lot of vitriol as radical forms of eating. Not here so much, but in some places.

There should be other threads, and you'll need to use the "Advanced Search" function below the "Search" tab at the top of the page to find them. Good luck.
Closed Thread