Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 11:22

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
You might like to cut out the butter on your carbohydrate breakfast. I sue very low fat spread. Fats should not be combined with carbohydrates.

Do you have to eat carbohydrates? Without fat, I just wouldn't want them.

What about sauerkraut? Is it all right to have that amount of carbs with your meat?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 12:14

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

i really object to eating carbs without fat. fat is what slows down the digestion and reduces the glycemic of the carbs.

green vegetables don't count. they don't have enough carbs to cause the average person any problems.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 13:11

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I believe that all of your low fat spreads are processed, but if you are losing, you may just continue doing what you're doing. I would maybe just try to keep the amount of butter you are putting on the bagel to a minimum.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 15:15

Are there any Dr. K people following this? What does he say about combining carbs and fat?
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 16:45

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

cap, I'm not following Dr.K's plan (optimal diet, right?) but I am familiar with it. I would think that since Dr.K does allow for some good carbs within his plan, it could easily be done in a food combining way.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 14:47

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

From what I undertand, although it is true that fat lower the GI of carbs, food combing is about effective and efficient digestion and carbs do not digest well in the presence of fats. The other point is that the carbs will cause an insulin spike and when that happens the last thing you want around is fats which the insulin will then try to lay down as fat in your body.

I have no idea what the Dr K diet is.

Your details say you are following a Gluten-Free Casein-Free Diet Capmikee? I do not know if this is a food combing plan or not? sauerkraut is very low in carbs and I used to eat it when I was on Atkins so I see no problems eating it with anything.

Yes, I know law fat speads are processed and that butter is healthier but as the plan I'm following is low fat this is a compromise I think I can make. I eat very little of it anyway.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 15:10

That actually makes sense - I think GI is based on inefficient digestion, and that's a terrible way to eat.

However, I am not planning on practicing food combining - my diet is essentially near-carnivore Paleo, with IF and only a little bit of Weston Price fermentation philosophy thrown in. I'm just very curious about food combining because it's so wildly different from everything else, and it seems like an interesting idea.

I am somewhat interested in Dr. K, who recommends you eat low protein AND low carb, but not as low carb as some (around 50g per day). I think he recommends a 5 hour fast between eating protein and carbs, which along with a baroque system of calculating ratios makes his plan one of the most complicated ones out there.

Unfortunately, either because of the language barrier, cultural barriers, or personal wackiness, Dr. K's instructions often seem confusing and contradictory. The whole point of eating carbs for him is to avoid converting protein to glucose. But if you're eating protein and carbs in separate meals, I would guess that your body is still doing that at the protein meal.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 16:33

Plan: Low Carbing
Stats: 233.2/202/168 Female 5ft 8ins
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcass
i really object to eating carbs without fat. fat is what slows down the digestion and reduces the glycemic of the carbs.

green vegetables don't count. they don't have enough carbs to cause the average person any problems.

Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. If so, please forgive me. But, my understanding is that eating fat with carbs means that the carbs make your blood sugars go up and then because insulin is released the fat will be stored in the body. Whereas, if you don't have the carbs, then the fat will just do its job and not be stored.

So, if you have to eat fat with bread, maybe low fat is a good idea. Though Atkins (Low Carb), and Doris Grant, Jean Joyce, Kathryn Marsden and Ursula Summ (Food Combining) believe margarine and low fat spreads are bad because of the processes they goes through and the chemicals involved. Butter can be used in food combining, but sparingly. So on that, -choose your poison

The 'Hay' Diet was so called after Dr Hay. It doesn't involve chomping on rabbit bedding (sorry some people think it does), LOL!!!!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 14:19

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

I never heard of Food Combining or the Hay Diet .. so I did what I usually do - I wiki'd it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_combining
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Hay_diet

The latter has the following chart:

This says that Carbs should NOT be eaten with Concentrated Protiens nor with Acidic fruits.

What I found very interesting about what I read was that

(a) it makes sense about the enzymes neutralizing one another.
(b) On my atkins-ish diet, I've realized that if I eat my Greek Salad (Lots of Lemon, Vinegar) at lunch - all by itself .. my weight will tend to drop .. as opposed to eating chicken breast with my salad - my weight tends to stall...

I think this is an interesting idea - and from what I've read thus far it doesn't say you HAVE to eat carbs .. so I don't see any reason why I can't try this and Atkins together - see its effects.

In the original post I see there was some mention about wait times between eating certain foods .. where would I find more information on this?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 22:22

Surprising that fats are not considered compatible with protein but they are with carbs. That's not like Atkins or Dr. K - and it doesn't sound like the plan that Robert follows either. Am I wrong?
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 07:16

Plan: Low Carbing
Stats: 233.2/202/168 Female 5ft 8ins
BF:
Progress: 48%

That chart certainly is interesting. Thanks for that, I will print it off. I, like you, was surprised at the fat/protein incompatibility.