Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 19:15

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default This, That and PP Chat for June '07

And I hope everyone likes my new title for our daily check in/chatting.
I wanted this to be up ready for tomorrow as I am slow to get up and going.

Check in everyone!
Larry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 06:36
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Larry! Ok, I have to admit I was SO tempted to post another post in the other one just to be sassy. LOL But I didn't. Aren't you proud? And yes, I love the new title!

So, I'm not so proud of myself. Yesterday my food choices were most certainly **NOT as spot-on as the day before and I couldn't tell you why. <sigh> I'm working through this the best I can, though. And I'm not using it as an excuse to just keep making bad choices. This morning I'm back to my coconut oil (which I was out of and I think attributes to a great deal of energy for me for the day) and eggs for breakfast (along with some decaf coffee with organic cream). And I'm on my way to pilates class in a few minutes. Happy June and Happy Friday everyone!

**Note: Description of said food choices was purposefully created in a vague fashion to hide just how bad they were.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

Does Dr Mary Dan have a blog? Link, please.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 18:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Does Dr Mary Dan have a blog? Link, please.
Here you go Elle,
Mary Dan Eades, M.D.

She does not post as much as Mike, but when she does they are good reading. She tends to do cooking reciepts more often than other things.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 17:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Thanks Larry for starting a new thread!!

Just getting back from a long weekend in the country.
I ate off plan for sure myself. I am going to get back on track by having a couple of shakes and one meal for a few days.............Staying Power gives you this suggestion and I think I need it!!

It is so hot and dry here now...We need rain so bad. The corn in the fields was just about 6 inches or so where I was. I hope we see some rain with this front moving through.

I hope this finds everyone well!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 19:28

BF:

Sharon,

It has been dry here in the evening shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. But it rained all day here, light, so it soaked in and was very welcome.

I never felt inclined to buy Staying Power from the comments I read from other PPers when it first came out. I guess it is mostly because I seem to have settled in to a eating pattern that fits me. I have been at 140 for four years, at least. Might slip up a pound or two, but then later I check and it is gone. I feel bad for all of those that have to be SO careful of what they eat.

Wish some of the old timers like Baudy, CindySue48, jkmfrog, Songberrie and all the others I have missed would come back. I looked back through the Java Room thread. It went dead the beginning of the summer of 2006. From near the beginning of June until nearly the end of November there were just nine posts. I know that there are more PP folks around but they have gotten out of the habit of checking here. And may also be very busy like I am so limit where they post.

Glad you and Lisa are around. It helps the new folks if they feel like this part of the forum has enough people that there is a good chance that they can relate to. Me, I never was heavy so have no experience to share.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 20:39

Stats: 236/177/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm new to these boards.. It's good to see a PP community.

I've been doing PP since December 06 and have lost 45 lbs. I have another 55 lbs. to go.

Weekends can be tough as I tend to graze and eat more calories than I like... But keeping on track...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 07:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagina
I'm new to these boards.. It's good to see a PP community.
Welcome, I am glad to see you posting. Please continue.

Quote:
I've been doing PP since December 06 and have lost 45 lbs. I have another 55 lbs. to go.
Good for you! Now don’t let a slip up stop you. After you have read more posts at this site, you will find that a LOT of people have slip ups. The ones that quickly forget their going off plan and get back on plan do not have the weight gain that they would if they gave up because of even just one slip.

Quote:
Weekends can be tough as I tend to graze and eat more calories than I like... But keeping on track...
The biggest thing I can say about any low carb diet is, it is mostly an issue of mind control. That is you have to start thinking in a new way about food. In the thread linked below, is some advice from Dr. Mike Eades. I have included below a clip from a reply I made in that thread so you can read it easily. Please read the whole thread when you have time.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=temptation

Quote:
I have an analogy about temptation. Its lesson is that you must learn what your irresistible temptations are, and then studiously avoid them. My (former) irresistible temptation was cookies. I was a true “cookie monster”. If there were cookies in the house I would nibble at them until they were all gone. It started in High School. The best place to study was the kitchen table. My mother made oatmeal/coconut cookies that were wonderful and were put in a jar on top of the refrigerator. After an hour or so (or less), they would call to me. So would get up and get one. Soon I would HAVE to have another. After a few one cookie trips, it was cutting into the studying so to be more efficient I would get two, or three, or ..... until I just moved the jar to the table. Two nights and it was empty!!

So when I started to grocery shop for myself and the family, I quickly learned that at home the cookies were still irresistible, as I had found out in High School. So the easiest way to keep from eating too many cookies was not to have any in the house. The way not to have them in the house was not to bring them home from the store. The way not to bring them home from the store was not to put them in the cart. The way not to have cookies put in the cart was not to go down the cookie isle!

I told this story once to a friend that was struggling with some temptations, and thus was born the expression DO NOT GO DOWN THE COOKIE ISLE! that we often used there after. We even expanded it to really great temptations by saying Do not go into the store that has a cookie isle. We even got to saying Do not drive down the street that has the store that has a cookie isle, or at least drive the other way.

We are surrounded by temptations. Both from the media trying to sell something that is not healthy to eat, or by family and friends that just are to brain washed by the media to know that the FDA food pyramid is REALLY not healthy. You must train your mind, thus it is largely a mind “game”, to resist and stick to a good healthy diet the rest of your life.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 07:55

BF:

Welcome Gina and congratulations on your weightloss!!

I feel that we are all human and do make mistakes. Just don't let them take over!! I struggle with that also. I would so much like to eat like the mainstream folks, but alas, I cannot. I accept that I am human.

Hang in there!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 08:33

BF:

Thanks for the support all.....

When I graze it's low carb grazing and I don't exceed 40 net carbs I just end up eating more like 1800-1900 calories.

My preference is to keep my calories between 1400-1600. I know that's not specifically an Eades guideline but I figure that's what I'll need to maintain my goal weight so....

You're right LarryAJ, it is a mind game... I call it "Mind over Fatter." I play that game daily....

Looking forward to talking more with you all.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:39
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi everyone! I just placed a large post in my journal with an update on everything, but the Reader's Digest version for you is that I'm stressed about my Mom's house, fighting extreme fatigue to make sure we're set for a double-wedding weekend coming up this weekend, but generally doing very well and feeling healthy. I overdid it Fri/Sat/Sun with both working out and working/travelling (what with Mom's house AND our biz responsibilities) so Sunday afternoon through evening I rested more than I think I have in the past 6 months. LOL Today I'm going at a slower pace just to be sure. I'm thankful that with the exception of a few funky feelings this weekend, I've been very healthy and experiencing what I'd call an ideal pregnancy. It's so good it hardly seems real, but I look forward to an update with my doc tomorrow (and discussion of my blood work) to see where I'm at. Larry, that was a great clip regarding temptation. I must admit I've let myself give in, but I've also bounced right back as well. My goal is to remind myself that every time I choose food I am NOURISHING my body...and no matter how much I want to justify it, gooey butter cake just doesn't have one ounce of nourishment!! (I'm tempted to go back to Bill Cosby's "Chocolate Cake for breakfast" routine...it has milk, eggs, flour...it's GOOD for you. ROFL) So anyhow, I've made sure to nourish myself well, even despite a few pitfalls!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 18:53

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

hi folks! I wish I had more time to post, and to read posts. I really miss all the reading I was doing online just for fun...work has been terribly demanding of late. I do advocacy/policy/lobbying work and NC is in the middle of its legislative session. Working on several bills, plus my usual policy work, has meant a lot of late nights, early mornings, and basically having no life outside work. I've banked a lot of time off, but it could be months before I can take any of it...

when the weekend rolls around the last thing I want to do is fire up the computer since the laptop or blackberry is my appendage 24/7 M-F. (you know you're a lobbist when you fire off a work email at 3 am and several colleagues reply immediately). Spending a lot of time on weekends doing tangible things like working in the yard, fixing the mailbox, painting outdoor furniture, cleaning, etc. and not thinking or doing any work. On the plus side, I've usually put in at least 40 hours by Friday so I have been able to squeeze in a few three day weekends (except when our bills have been up in committee - then I just work through the weekend to get ready for Monday). Spent one of my free weekends at the beach. ahhhhhh....that's living.

I'm glad to see folks here are doing well!

After taking a month "off" doing maintenance levels of PPLP, I've gone back to intervention level carbs to see if I can knock off a few more pounds without being too too restrictive of my calorie intake. I've been doing more walking but still not very motivated to do anything else despite knowing that my 40 year old body would really benefit from it. lol.

Looking forward to being able to post daily (or nightly!) sometime soon.

Jen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 05:35

BF:

Jen,

Wow! What an interesting job you have and busy!! Love hearing from you!

Lisa, rest is very important at this stage in your pregnancy. You are doing good to get it in when you can. I know you are up to lots of challenges in the future with everything. You make me tired just reading about it!

Larry, I love your input here and I thank you for that link. I love reading the Eades and I just have to have all of their books. Staying Power is not one of their best for scientific info BUT, they do lay out a great maintenance plan. I also like the question and answer format. Still very informative! They also include a Boot Camp menu to get you back on track. I need to re-read that a lot lately!! Old habits die hard sometimes!!

I am out for summer break, but my DD and DIL keep me busy babysitting in the summer. My choice entirely and I only pick a couple of days a week.
I also have jury duty in a couple of weeks, so I stay very busy too!

DH is retired and we go a lot in the summer to the country. I love getting away from the city.

Well, that is me in a nutshell.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 17:08

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
Wish some of the old timers like Baudy, CindySue48, jkmfrog, Songberrie and all the others I have missed would come back.
I'm still here Larry!! I read the posts almost every day, but don't often post myself.

I've been busy too with another site, SparkPeople, where I have a low carb team for over 50 women.

I've been sticking with PP and in fact I've gone 13 weeks without a cheat!! I've got another 30 pounds to loose and I'm determined I'm going to do it!! I've already lost over 60, so I'm sure I can get the rest off!

I also just got my blood work rechecked and was quite happy with the results. Total cholesterol was 240, which is down from over 350. LDL is high, but triglycerides are low. HDL is low too, I imagine because of my continuing to smoke. (yea I know, I'm trying)

Congrats to all that ahve lost, or maintained!! And Lisa a BIG congrats on your pregnancy!!

I was also quite happy to see my homocysteine was low at 7.8 (reference 0-13), I've never had this checked. More surprising was my CRP-hs was only 0.26 (refernce <0.60). The last time this was done it was under 1.0, and in the past it has always been 2.0 or higher. I have fairly extensive osteoarthritis, and this has always been the reason I've been given for CRP being elevated. Well, I still have osteoarthritis and actually may have developed rheumatoid, but yet my CRP is low!!

Good to see more people active in the PP area....for so long there was little or no activity here!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 20:23

BF:

Good evening..
Just saying "hello..."
Hit a new low today 190.8 let's see where that goes. I can only hope it's down from here.