Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 19:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Angry O.K so Low-Carb is good, but Atkins bad? Syndrome X

Posted on Tue, Jan. 21, 2003

story:PUB_DESC

X marks a lot Syndrome boosts insulin, eating. Result: obesity

By Tracy Wheeler

Beacon Journal medical writer
Lana Koehler, who lost 55 pounds since being diagnosed, is starting a support group for those with Syndrome X.

Paul Tople, ABJ
Lana Koehler, who lost 55 pounds since being diagnosed, is starting a support group for those with Syndrome X.

If only they would just eat less. If only they would just exercise more. If only they would make an effort to do something, maybe Americans wouldn't be so fat.

But it's nowhere near that simple, Dr. Jeanette Moleski says. For about one-fourth of the overweight and obese, losing weight is essentially a losing battle, because they're fighting the wrong enemy.

The enemy isn't a box of Krispy Kreme donuts. The enemy isn't a bag of Cheetos. The enemy isn't even super-sized french fries.

The enemy is their own bodies, which unknown to them are producing far too much insulin, sending the wrong messages to their brains.

It's a condition called Syndrome X and it affects almost 70 million (one in four) Americans.

``The high insulin is telling them, `I have to eat, I have to eat, I have to eat to survive.' They're always hungry,'' said Moleski, of Hudson Family Health Center. ``They can eat a full Thanksgiving meal and an hour later be looking for leftovers. It's instinctual to eat.''

Problem missed

More often than not, though, Syndrome X goes undiagnosed. So their weight-loss fight is almost assured of ending unsuccessfully. It's like fighting a boxing match against the Invisible Man; you can swing all you want, but if you can't see your opponent, you're not going to land many punches. Worse yet, you may not even be aware there's an opponent in the ring who's swinging back.

For people with Syndrome X, the invisible opponent is insulin, a hormone manufactured by the pancreas that is supposed to regulate glucose (blood sugars) and help the body use the glucose as energy. In Syndrome X, though, the cells that normally respond to insulin are resistant. So the body makes more and more insulin in an effort to get those cells to respond.

The problem is that standard diabetes tests look only at glucose levels, not insulin levels. In Syndrome X patients, glucose levels are normal, while insulin levels can reach more than 15-times the normal level.

That's why Syndrome X often goes undiagnosed.

Just ask Lana Koehler.

Making the diagnosis

The 51-year-old Stow woman saw Moleski in April. As soon as Moleski walked into the examination room, she had Koehler pegged as a Syndrome X patient. Before offering the diagnosis, though, she told Koehler she needed to test her glucose and insulin levels.

``I told her I had had plenty of blood tests,'' Koehler remembers. ``Nothing had shown up before. I had been through glucose tolerance tests and they always came out negative. Dr. Moleski just said, `OK, but humor me.' ''

Sure enough, the doctor was right.

Koehler's glucose levels (at 104) didn't raise any red flags. ``Not at all,'' Moleski said, ``not even suspicious.''

Her insulin levels, though, were astronomical.

The first insulin reading came in at 43, about four times as high as it should be. One hour into the test, Koehler's insulin reading shot up to 180 ``which is way, way, way too high,'' Moleski said, ``but her glucose was still normal at 100... . . . So no one would have even picked this up without doing the insulin levels.''

Fighting problem

For the first time in her adult life, Koehler has hope.

``It was enlightening to me,'' she said of the test results. ``I actually have a disease. It wasn't that I didn't have willpower. I had lost and gained weight all my life. I had tried every diet imaginable.''

She would lose weight. In fact, she once lost 125 pounds on the Atkins Diet. But as soon as she started eating more normally, it all came back.

``I was ready to go on disability. I had accepted that I couldn't teach anymore. I was ready just to roll up in a hole and die. I didn't want to go on. It was too hard.''

Now, she said, ``I have a life.''

Koehler has lost 55 pounds since she was diagnosed in April and went on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. She's now able to wake up at 7:30 or 8 each morning, instead of her old rising time of 10:30 or 11. She runs errands, instead of staying homebound. She can stay up until midnight, instead of collapsing after her last piano lesson at 8 or 9.

``What you have to understand is that I'm not doing this to lose weight, I'm doing this to have a life,'' she said.

Nutrition helps

Marianne Henry certainly understands.

``I spent the last year accepting that I'll be heavy the rest of my life,'' she said. ``That was very hard for me. I told myself, I'm going to have to love me for who I am. That's a terrible place to be. Terrible.''

In July, she was diagnosed with Syndrome X. Since then, the 42-year-old mother of three teens has lost 71 pounds, and now she can finally hike and bike again.

``I feel 20 years younger,'' she said. ``I'm getting my life back and that's the most important thing. I'm excited I feel like me again.''

Koehler and Henry suffered from myriad maladies, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irregular heart beats, fibromyalgia, fatigue and sleep apnea.

All those problems have decreased or completely disappeared.

Once diagnosed, Syndrome X patients are put on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, along with medications -- metformin (Glucophage) to increase the body's sensitivity to insulin and wellbutrin (Zyban) to help curb carbohydrate cravings.

``Concentrated sweets'' (cookies, candies, pop) are eliminated and ``white foods'' (breads, pasta, potatoes) are restricted.

Limit carbohydrates

Don't confuse the diet with the Atkins diet, though. Unlike Atkins, this diet doesn't completely banish carbs. Instead, Moleski said, the goal is to limit carbs and make sure you're not eating ``unopposed'' carbs, meaning that any carbohydrate consumption is prefaced with some protein -- chicken, fish, lean beef, lean pork, eggs, tofu, cheese. Fruits and salads, to some degree, are allowed too.

The diet helps stabilize insulin production, stopping the outrageous spikes that tell them they have to eat.

Surprisingly, it's an easy diet to follow, Koehler said, if for no other reason than that stopping the diet is met with punishment. ``What's fortunate is when I deviate, I feel miserable,'' she said. ``If I eat the wrong foods, I feel tired, lethargic, I get headaches, I feel like I'm coming down with the flu. I'll get heart palpitations. It all comes back again. That keeps me pretty close to the straight and narrow.''

For Henry, it's simply an issue that she doesn't feel the need to eat like she used to.

``Over the last 10 years, I could sit down and eat a spaghetti dinner and an hour later it was like I never ate. I'd be so hungry I couldn't stand it. That's a hard thing to deal with,'' she said. ``That is completely gone now.''

Koehler is starting a support group for those who have been diagnosed with Syndrome X, or even for those who just suspect that they or a loved one might have it.

The first meeting is 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Stow City Hall in the boards and commissions room. Moleski will speak, offering information of symptoms and diagnosis.

``There are a lot of people out there like me,'' Koehler said. ``I'm on a mission. I want to tell as many people as possible that life doesn't have to be the way it is.''

Beacon Journal medical writer Tracy Wheeler can be reached at 330-996-3721 or at tawheeler~thebeaconjournal.com via e-mail.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourn...cal/4994687.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 20:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

You know, after reading the thread about insulin resistance and the remedy that was given, I thought that was enought for me for one day, but my curiosity about research is truly insatiable, however negatively it may affect me.

Isn't the LC method that this person just gave close to exactly the same as Atkins? All types of meat and a few LC vegetables and fruits?

And what is with the "Krispy Kremes don't make you fat, the insulin does"? Where in the world do they think the high levels of insulin come from?

O.K., I just have to ask, do these people hear what they are saying? Do they realize that what they are saying is completely and utterly contradicting their research and they sound like they are utterly lacking common sense?

I think anger is my biggest reaction because these people are supposed to have gone to school for this.

Amber
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 20:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Angry

Quote:
Don't confuse the diet with the Atkins diet, though. Unlike Atkins, this diet doesn't completely banish carbs.

Someday, people are going to get it through their thick heads that we aren't completely banishing carbs here.

Jeesh.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 14:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Amber... I don't think the article means to say that Krispy Kremes don't make you fat if you eat them excessively or that they don't spike your insulin.

I think they are saying that they are finding people who have those extremely high levels of insulin on a regular basis. Not just after eating Krispy Kremes. That their body is overloading on producing insulin and so the brain continuously thinks it's hungry.

However, I do agree that the eating they are describing and Atkins are one and the same.

It's funny... Dr. Atkins was on the Today show this morning and when Katie Couric asked how his telling people to eat 6 peices of bacon and eggs for breakfast was healthy he replied that if people think that that is what he is telling people to do, they haven't read the book.

I think that has become my new mantra to naysayers who spout wrong "facts"... "You have no idea what you are saying. Come talk to me after you've read the book."
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:23
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Once diagnosed, Syndrome X patients are put on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, along with medications -- metformin (Glucophage) to increase the body's sensitivity to insulin and wellbutrin (Zyban) to help curb carbohydrate cravings.

``Concentrated sweets'' (cookies, candies, pop) are eliminated and ``white foods'' (breads, pasta, potatoes) are restricted.

In a nutshell, they are saying:

"No, we don't need Atkins because we can indulge in some "white foods" as long as we are good girls and eat some protein and take our medicine."

Who are they kidding? This approach only benefits the drug companies and rejects personal responsibility in making the right food choices.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:42

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

this idea of opposed carbs kind of interests me. I know a guy who's diabetic (skinny as a rail, but recently diagnosed as diabetic, nonetheless), who eats things like shepards pie (in case you're never heard of it, it's mashed potatotes piled on top of meat and vegetables and some kind of sauce ), and thinks the potoatoes are ok for him since he is eating them with the meat. It seems like I've heard this somewhere before, but I don't remember where. Anyway, I just wonder how valid that idea is?

also, if you're interested, the Atkins interview on the today show can be seen here:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/today_front.asp

click though the free videos till you see the good doctor!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I guess it would all depend on what their definition of "low carb" is. For some (compared to what their usual daily intake of carbs is), 100 grams of carb would be considered "low" and depending on their level of pancreatic function, that might be enough of a reduction to produce improvement and could include things like whole grain bread and brown rice along with some fruits. For others, like myself, 100 grams of carb per day is still too much and I doubt that I'll ever be able to go much over 40-60 grams a day and not see spikes in my blood sugar. OTOH, my definition of good blood sugar control is a lot stricter than most doctors are comfortable telling their patients that they want to see.
Metformin and Zyban have their place in controlling insulin resistance and cravings. I've used both at different times until my body could heal itself enough with the help of low carb so that I could control both without the drugs and then quit taking them. I think the problem comes in when doctors and patients alike abuse them in that they continue to eat too many carbs while using the medication to keep their insulin resistance and blood sugars in check instead of making the dietary changes needed to allow them to be drug-free; they treat the symptoms and ignore the cause. Let's face it, there are a lot of people out there who are simply not willing to give up their favorite treats and foods when taking a pill will allow them to continue eating them. The idea of making sacrifices to effect improvement is a foreign concept to many. We live in a society where self-gratification is purchased at any cost. (End rant )
It all comes down to how important your health is to you, how much you don't want to be on medications and how much you personally are willing to do to accomplish good health without the aid of drugs as much as possible.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:06
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lisa:

I probably wouldn't have been so negative/sarcastic about the article had they not used the word "white foods". Had they said "whole grains", my reaction probably would have been much different. As it is, where's the change in behavior? It just smacks of "eat what you want but take pills to control your blood sugar". I'm probably exaggerating a little, but...

My sister-in-law does that and it drives me nuts. She eats too much sugar, she'll take more medicine. Her own sister died of heart failure at 50, yet she hasn't done anything productive to control her diabetes. Her husband had colon cancer, yet still they haven't changed one thing in their processed food diets. They keep missing opportunities to lead full, productive lives.