Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/208/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default ??Breastfeeding Questions??

HELP!! I'm currently on the Atkin's Diet ( Day 4 of Induction) and I am also breastfeeding our 8 week old son. I found very little information in DANDR, Power Protein or Carbo. Addicts books that I've read. I also looked on the Atkin's web page www.atkinscenter.com They didn't have much info either. I was just wondering if by my being in ketosis if that would affect my breastmilk, taste, nutrition or otherwise. I haven't had a lack of milk and he certainly hasn't eaten any less. He isn't losing weight, but I'm also worried taht if I'm in ketosis, does that mean he will be as well?? I am taking my prenatal vitamins and eating a variety of low carb foods, so I don't feel as though my nutrition has been compromised by this w.o.e. I just worry that excess ketones floatin' around in my body could affect my milk in some way, or the toxins that are stored in the fat could be transferred to the milk. I feel much healthier since changing my eating, and hope I'm doing the right thing. I feel as though eating LC is a very healthy way of eating (given the starchy, sugary alternative) and would love to give my son a boost in the right direction. Unfortunately I don't have any info or documented research to back that up if anyone has any info on pros or cons of breastfeeding while LC please let me know. Also, as a side note, if you'd been able to find a way of speeding up weight loss while breastfeeding and LC'ing please let me know. I've been losing about 1 lb every couple days while my hubby has been losing a pound a day... *pouts jealously* Thanks for listening !!!

~ Jamie ~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 08:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/165/150
BF:
Progress:
Smile breastfeeding

I'm so glad to hear that someone else has the same question that I do! I went on the atkins diet when my son was apppprox 4 mo old. After reading some negative info about ketones in breastmilk I decided to stop the diet. From what I read, it is o.k to be on the Maintenance plan of the Atkins diet, but not necessarily good to be in ketosis. (I was only able to get into ketosis about 3 days out of a month, however. It was as if my body was fighting me.)
My son is now 8 months old, and I would really like to lose the last 15 of the 62 lbs that I gained during pregnancy.
I hope we hear from some low-carbers who have breastfed without problems. My son is eight months old now, still breastfeeding, but also eating some solids.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 23:17

BF:
Default mommy troubles

I have been on the Atkin's diet for about 2 weeks now (including a day of cheating ) and now I'm back on track. But I'm still not losing very quickly. I am eating about 15-20 grams of carbs per day (minus fiber) but keep waivering around the same weight. I was jazzed to see I'd lost 6 lbs, but by the next day I'd gained 3. Is it usual to fluctuate that much, or is it just all the wonderful cocktail of hormones rushing around in my body from breastfeeding?
I feel as though I'm eating better now, while being on the Atkin's Diet than I did being on a "regular" diet. I'm really watching what I'm eating, staying away from all the sugary foods I used to love, and even joined a gym (yeah! go me!!) I'm taking my prenatal vitamins and taking better care of myself than before, but of course as all mothers do, i still worry about my son. He's gaining weight just fine and is such a peach. But I still wonder if ketones are passed through breastmilk and if that causes any harmful effects to children.
BTW- it's good to hear that other women have the same concerns Glad to see I'm not the only one!!!

~ Jamie ~
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: pregnant so maintenance level
Stats: 136/122/---
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi,

I am pregnant (due September) and will be breastfeeding on mainenance level low carb diet (well, that is the plan, anyway! )
I have read it is not good to be in ketosis whilst breastfeeding or pregnancy. Not for the reason than ketones do any damage (don't know either way on this one) but that alot of toxins are stored in body fat ( pesticides and herbicides from meat and plant foods, chemicals in water, petrochemicals in the air etc), and these are released when the fat is burned, and do get into the breastmilk. This is one of the reasons it is considered unsafe to diet during these times.
Having said that most women do lose some weight naturally while breast feeding, but the important thing is to lose it SLOWLY (sorry Jamie!) so your baby isn't bombarded with to many poisons.
My advice would be to stick to Atkins at OWL or almost maintenance level so you are losing no more than 1-2 lb a week max, and get a wide variety of meats, veggies, LC fruits and good fats (esp fish oils for Omega 3 fats- very important for sons brain development)
Congratulations on deciding to do your best for you and your baby.

Angela

PS men always lose weight faster than women, unfair but true!! Don't let that deter you from continuing.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 17:54

BF:
Default thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all the advice!!! Isn't it sick that men lose weight faster? How did they get outta giving birth, being pregnant, menstrual cramps... and lose weight faster?? i'm not seeing the perks of being female right now!
But, beside that... I'm only taking in about 20 grams of carbs/day and i'm only losing about 2 lbs a week. Sooo, what does that mean? does that mean i'm not counting carbs correctly and am taking in more than i realize (hidden carbs, etc, etc...) or that the hormones from breastfeeding are making me lose that slowly? In either case, I'm losing weight while my little 2 month old son continues to pack on the weight he needs. *smiles* So for that I'm thankful, but yes, still worry about all the nasty stuff that is contained in fat. That is one of the reasons I make extra sure to drink as much water and fluids as possible. The more I can flush out the less he'll be taking in. But my energy level is great. I feel like I'm hyped up on caffeine! I almost worked right through my break yesterday because I didn't have that usual slump of energy that usually comes with mid afternoon. It just rushed by in a flash!
Kinda nice to have that kind of energy, I can keep up wtih the kids now!! WHEE! I even raced my daughter (2 yrs old) from the mailbox and enjoyed myself Felt good to be moving!
Well I'm babbling now, but that's alright! he he he. I do appreciate all the advice though. It's very nice to be reassured about your concerns, especially as a new mom. You're never sure whether your concerns are valid or just needless panicking on your part. (I'm a huge worry wart ) Thanks all !!!

~
Jamie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

Jamie,
you are doing SO GREAT!! 2lb a week is NOT slow weight loss. There are many people on this forum who only lose 2lb a week in their wildest dreams, I was one of them.
You're right, all the things you mention can slow weight loss. Since I've been pregnant I've gained a whole new respect for hormones, man, the ways they can change your body is phenominal!
I'm so pleased your son is doing well and you have so much energy. I am 14 weeks preg tomorrow and am starting to get some energy back to do some walking and light weights, it feels GOOD! Now all I have to do is reign in the carbs a bit, I'm putting on a lb a week and it's a bit early for that kind of carry on yet. At least I'm keeping track of my measurements so I can tell if it starts to pack on anywhere besides the boobs and belly

Angela
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 10:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/165/150
BF:
Progress:

Hi Ladies! Just wanted to let you know that even with watching my carbs pretty strictly I only lose a couple of pounds a week also! (I truly believe that a breastfeeding mother's body fights weight loss!) Several of my friends have told me that they didn't lose the last 10 lbs until they finished breastfeeding -however, they came off with little or no effort! Sounds great to me! Also, don't be surprised if you gain weight allover while pregnant, not just in the belly & boob areas! Just nature's way of making sure that little one gets fed when he gets here. I've really gained a new respect for the miracle that my body has performed -growing a baby!! I may not look as great as I want to at the moment, but that's a more impressive accomplishment than any man's body will ever realize! The media applauds appearance too much, and I fall into the trap way more that I should. Let's remember to celebrate our bodies' accomplishments as well as their outward appearances! Have a great day!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:03

BF:
Default Whew... thought I was the only one!

Rebecca and Angela~

Whew! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one losing slowly. Though in the great scheme of things a pound lost is a pound lost! I'm not complaining there! But sure wish it would just "melt away", don't we all?
Does your weight fluctuate quite a bit during the day? I've noticed that my lowest weight is early morning, my heaviest weight is mid evening or so. Do breastfeeding mothers naturally retain and release more fluids from breastfeeding?
What about supplements? I've been afraid to take anything other than my prenatal vitamins. I've heard some herbs are bad, and I just stay away from caffeine in general. Does anyone know of any safe supplements to aid fat loss while breastfeeding that will not harm the baby? Do you know any that are? That way I can really steer clear of em'
I'm lifting weights now and doing aerobic exercise 3 days a week and I've noticed that my son is a bit more grumpy and has gas more often than he used to. Do you think that's caused by the lactic acid released through exercise building up in my breastmilk? I've heard it can make it have a sour taste. Haven't tasted it for myself, but suppose I wouldn't know the difference anyhow
Sorry for all the questions! Ugh, all the things they didn't tell you when you became a mom, huh? It is amazing how we can create a child in a mere 9 months (feels like forever when you're pregnant though!) and we can't expect our bodies to snap back into shape. Kinda tough to sit and watch swimsuit season approach and wonder how you're going to wiggle those hips into that lil' suit in your dresser. I think I'm on the right track. I have lost 20 lbs since my son was born in Jan, and feel like I'm finally getting my old self back. The pre-mommy body!! Just gotta keep focused and motivated. That's why I'm here posting Have a great night guys!

~ Jamie ~

P.S. Good luck with your pregnancy Angela !!! Keep us informed of how s/he is doing! (I love babies!!!!!!!!)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 04:58

Stats: 186/160/150
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Some thoughts . . .

I'm new to this forum, though not to breastfeeding. My understanding is that environmental toxins are stored in our body fat and when the fat is burned, they are released. Some of these toxins will end up in your breastmilk. This is one of the reasons that dieting is not recommended until at least six months and the baby is no longer relying solely on the mother for his/her nutritional needs.

If I had been low-carbing while my nursling was an infant, I would have followed the Maintenance Plan and relied on the natural weight loss that most women experience while nursing until my baby was older. Once my baby was past the 1 year point, I would evaluate his/her nursing frequency and go from there. Breastmilk is more of a supplement to my 22 month old's diet at this point, so I feel comfortable following the regular Atkins program.

Just my .02,
Larissa
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 21:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hi all ,

I ditto what Larissa said, very sensible.

Jamie- No, I don't know any fat burning suppliments that are safe to take while breast feeding, because all the ones I know of are stimulants. I wouldn't go near then anyway as {Angela steps onto soap box...} I am very anti big companies making squillions of dollars selling stuff to people based on insecurity about their bodies. PlusI don't like the idea of messing with my metabolism if I don't have a diagnosed metabolic disorder, who knows about long term side effects of those stimulants on your body? I prefer to err on the side of caution. I seriously doubt you'll find any that have been tested on pregnant or breatfeeding women because of ethical issues. {steps off soap box}

I do take other suppliments tho, and have a big interest in nutritional healing. I take Omega 3 fish oils (essential for babies brain development, and my own health in general); as well as calcium, magnesium, zinc, C, E, K, alpha-lipoic acid (antioxidant) prenatal, plus some other ones every now and then.

Everyones weight fluctuates during the day, some people on this forum up to 6 lb in a day, so don't panic. I always weigh first thing in the morning, nekkid, after wees, before gravity sets in. it's strange, but if I weigh first thing, then walk round the house for a few minutes and weigh again I'm usually heaiver the second time. Weird eh? My body must suck water out of the air or something!!??

Heres something else to put the '2lb a week' weightloss into perspective. I lost 17 lb before I got pregnant. I went from approx 34% body fat to about 24ish%. guess how long it took me? 7 months! That works out to an average loss of just over 1/2 a lb a week. Sure it was frustrating as hell at times but I got there in the end, and I will again after my baby is born. I know low carb is the way I have to eat for the rest of my life if I want to feel and look healthy. I've been a sugar addict since childhood and it did alot of damage to my health including cancer at the age of 24 (now cured) and now systemic candida, so I have more reason than many to stick to this WOL (not that I didn't waaaay overindulge in Easter eggs this weekend and am now paying the price )

On a lighter note Pete and I chose wallpaper for the babies room yesterday, we chose yellow because we won't be finding out the sex of the baby until he/she is born, so everything has to be gender neutral. It is annoying at times but it will be a lovely surprise when he/she arrives. We have decided on a home birth with a lovely very experienced midwife. I am 16 weeks now and have my next appointment with the midwife on wednesday, when we should hear the babies heartbeat for the first time, I can't wait!!

Take care everyone
Angela