Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 09:44
Airy Cats Eyes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%
Question 12-year old frequent urination

Hi all,
My 12-year old son (high functioning autistic--and before anyone responds, I'm NOT looking for dietary aid with autistic behaviors, THANKS, I LOVE YOU!!!)
Last night we were at a party and he's just guzzling the soda--we've told him to drink diet soda if he has to have soda--he's got braces and he shouldn't have that much sugar washing over his teeth.

If he'd have his druthers he'd eat nothing but pizza and bread. If he takes a sandwich for lunch it is on whole grain bread. For weekend breakfast his DH makes him pancakes (this week with blueberries) which he drowns in syrup.
My son is a carb addict just like mom--any books I can read? When I make him breakfast, I include turkey sausages and try to make a very egg-y french toast for him. He does a lot better with protein in his morning meal. Can you recommend a good tasting syrup w/o sugar?

Anyway, we're making an appointment with his doctor ASAP because he's doing a lot of frequent urinating, combined with an inability to hold it in. Could be puberty, could be diabetes, could be anxiety over starting middle school and friends moving away, etc.
Help!!!!

Eri Z

PS DH supportive of my lc woe, but might not if I try to get my son to do this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The Drs. Hellers have a book out specifically for children. Carbohydrate Addicted Kids.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Another plan to look into would be Sugar Busters For Kids. Definitely get the frequent urination checked out and request a blood sugar test if they don't suggest it.
If it turns out that your son has diabetes, you might want to get your hands on Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution. He has a new book coming out this month. Even if you don't follow the plan, there is a lot of good information in there on how diet affects blood sugars, how and when to test as well as how to handle special situations such as illness without sending your blood sugars soaring. Have your DH read it as well so that you are all on the same page if you are faced with managing diabetes in your son as well as his other issues.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:08
Airy Cats Eyes

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your responses. I'm trying not to panic. All moms know how we wish we could absolutely control (in a good way!) what our kids think, do, and especially eat!!!

sigh! He had absolutely no soda yesterday, not even diet soda. He sometimes drinks decaf with us (he likes to make it) and until yesterday, put sugar in it. Yesterday I told him he had to have Splenda in it if he wanted it sweet. He seemed okay with it.

trying not to stress, thanks again!
Eri Z
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:31

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

please dont panic - my child did the same thing - even had the school suggesting i get her tested for diabetes - it turns out she was drinking a lot and found she could roam the halls while on a bathroom pass.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:09
Airy Cats Eyes

Thanks Jedswife--We just went to the doc and my son's blood sugar is normal. The doctor thinks its orange juice stimulating his need to pee...And my son will sneak OJ whenever he can...!
Eri
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 04:15
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/138 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 13%

I like your quote because it is so true I have found mysself getting stranger and stranger. For some reason this diet is making me think more realizr more, meditate more or something. I have two children and I understand how you feel about your son. Good luck and keep it up
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:52
Airy Cats Eyes

Hi Wanda--I got the quote from my husband--he had it as a running marquee at the bottom of his website...
But you know, low carb life is definitely strange to some!
And I really think it helps clear my brain not to be eating so much sugar or starches...
I used to be able to binge on pasta (using it like a drug to pacify myself)--now I don't even have any cravings!
Have a wonderful and strange day!!!
Eri
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 07:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi, I read through and didn't see any ideas on the syrups.

I've read where Log Cabin makes a sugar free syrup and they say it tastes really good, I've used the Davinci sugar free syrup, it's not as thick, but tasty.

I've also used the jams and jellies that are sugar reduced and put a touch of water in it and warmed it up for a syrup.

The Davinci syrup is sweetened with splenda, you may want to check the Log Cabin, I think it had sorbitol -- that can sometimes cause stomach distress.

Hope this helps.