Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#436   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 17:10

Plan: general lc
Stats: 262/196.2/175 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

We start our prenatal classes beginning of June. They are every Tue night for like 6 weeks I think. The cost was $70. This is a first baby for both of us so we need the classes..lol

I think I go once a month to the doc until the last trimester, then once a week. Maybe I go once a month even longer, I can't remember. I will ask at my next appt early June.
Sponsored Links
  #437   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 10:27

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Tila,
I start my prenatel classes in June too. I'm taking Baby care in June But I couldn't get into the CPR classes until October. I also need to schedule a Breastfeeding class too but so far their only at night & it's an hour drive from there to where I live so I'm dreading that one. I have night blindness which is easy to deal with in the city but where I live there's no street lights so I might just see if I can find someone to go with me. My classes are free as long as you are having your baby there. I'm thinking of asking my friend if who works for a Pregnancy Crisis Center if she knows if I can attend one of their classes because their only 30 mins from where I live.
  #438   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 12:58

BF:

How is everyone doing ? We started our prenatal classes last night finally. DH ended up learning some stuff so that is good as he was really dreading going ! I think they will be good for us !
I am now 24+ weeks and up a total of 12 lbs from pre-preggo weight. Feeling good for the most part.

How about all of you ??
  #439   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 15:14

BF:

Hi Tila,
So far I'm 27 weeks & just entered my 3 rd trimester. And so far I've gained about 30 pounds. My doc wants me to watch it, she saying now a bout a pound a week is what I should be gaining. And I just found out that I have that gestational dieabetes so I really have to watch what I do.

I'll be starting my classes in a couple of weeks& doc wants me to attend a dieabetes class too. I'm not sure if I will or not I was raised in a diabetic family & she gave me a notebook on it so I'm thinking it's just will be a waste of time & gas. And anyways I live about an hour a way from the hospital.

I hope everyone eles is doing good.
  #440   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 21:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/298.2/250 Female 5.6
BF:Oh My!
Progress: 7%

Hi all!! Sounds like everyone is doing great!! Tila, how in the world have you kept your weight gain to 12 pounds at 25 weeks??? That's incredible!! I'd love to see a sample of what your normal easting for a day is like! I gained 6 pounds my first trimester, but I go to the OB this coming Friday. I have a feeling I've gained quite a bit more than that this time (I haven't been on the scale cause OB told me not to) - my eating has been HORRIBLE!! I can't seem to get control of myself and what I put in my mouth. I know I have to find the strength to do better for me and my little peanut, but I am really struggling right now. Of course, that gets me down and then I eat more. Agggggh! Anyway, gladto see everyone else is doing wonderfully. Keep it up girls

Last edited by tiodnaci : Sun, Jun-11-06 at 21:36. Reason: spelling error
  #441   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 20:24

BF:

I really haven't done much to control my weight gain. In fact I feel like I am gaining fast now so I bet at my next appt I will be up quite a bit. I only had gained 6.5 lbs at my 20 week and then doubled that to 12 at my 24 week. My doc thinks I am doing great on the weight issue so far. Keep in mind though that I was around 200 lbs when I got pregnant (Im 5'11"). Up from 185-190 for the past few years. I was overweight to begin with and they (the internet) says you don't need to gain more than 15-25 total when you are overweight. My doc says 25-35 is normal but I dont think he was considering that I was overweight to begin with.

I am eating pretty much what I want. Trying not to eat too much or too late (big vice since I work until 8pm 3 nts a week) Really though I feel I have been totally lenient and a bit of a glutton in the low carb world anyway. In the big picture of pregnancy eating, I am probably eating pretty good.

For breakfast I generally have a fairly low carb whole grain cereal with milk and strawberries, or sometimes I have a couple pieces of low carb toast with pbutter or cheese melted on it or low sugar jam. Sometimes I will scramble two eggs with some sort of protein in them also. For a snack I might have yogurt with splenda or fruit or a granola bar (another big craving since pregnant) Lunch, salad with protein or leftovers, Dinner..meat and salad and veggies.

Then on the dark side, I sometimes have ice cream now with my husband, I sometimes have hamburger or sandwiches with the bread or bun if we are eating out. I have had several social occasions where I have pigge dout on chips and dip type stuff which I LOVE. I have decaf iced lattes now and then. I dont pick the croutons off my salad (gasp!) Stuff like that.. I mean after eating low carb since 2002 and losing 80 lbs and keeping most of it off for a few years eating like this seems so sinful.

I am just hoping I can keep it to a minimum for the rest of my pregnancy. I worked so hard to lose so much and it's so hard to put it back on. The baby is healthy though so far and thats the most important thing. I f I gain another 30 and the baby is fine then I should just be happy I suppose.
  #442   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-06, 08:52

Plan: eat fat get thin
Stats: 209/209/161 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:

Hey all,

I just found out I am pregnant, due in Feb I really want to stick with low carb during this pregnancy as I felt so rough by the end of my last (10 months ago!)

TilaBC, If you are craving ice cream, have you tried mashing up some frozen berries in heavy cream? As the berries are frozen they turn the cream into ice cream ish! Really tasty! I tried this with passionfruit and raspberries at the weekend, it was heavenly!

Good luck to everyone & their bumps
  #443   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 22:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/298.2/250 Female 5.6
BF:Oh My!
Progress: 7%

Couteaux - your "ice cream" sounds wonderful!! I am going to buy the ingredietnts tomorrow. Congrats on the big news!! How are you feeling so far??
  #444   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 14:51

Plan: Self made
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi all - I wanted to say thank you for creating this thread and introduce myself!

I'm Charlie and live in the UK - there isn't very many resources for low carb here and find attitudes are all based on celebs using Atkins and it being the fad it was a few years ago. I started on low GI in January but found it very unsatisfying as it was still advocating low fat/restricted protein.

The two books I found useful were Eat Fat Get Thin, which advocates a paleolithic approach, and Potatoes not Prozac. Sort of made my own plan up from these and others and lost 18lbs in 6 weeks.

I've just found out I'm pregnant (son is 22 months old) and although I don't intend to lose any weight, I really don't want to gain too much. I got up to 224 right at the end of my last pregnancy (was 182 at start) and lost it within 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I hit the sugar when I had post natal depression and put it all back on, but didn't have a baby to excuse it

My biggest problem at the moment is not being able to face green veggies - not suffering from "morning" sickness but the thought of anything green turns my stomach! Luckily salad vegetables are ok and especially loving crunchy bell peppers.

I was losing at 60gm carbs, although that was starting to slow down when I fell pg (had been trying for 6 months, lose a stone and fall straight away ) so will probably go for around 100.

Charlie
x
  #445   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 16:43

BF:

Hi BooBoosmum,
Congrats on your pregnancy. I remember that feeling I had a hard time eating meat at first so I eat more carbs boy do I regret that now. I'm getting close to my due date & have that GD. SO I'm watching what I eat more now.

BTW I can see the baby moving through my stomach baby seems to be healthy inspite of the GD. I've been trying to keep it under control but sometimes I crave junk that I shouldn't be eating & it shots up my blood sugar levels. I go back to see the Dr on the 5th, I hope they ain't going to put me on insulin.

Have a great weekend.
  #446   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 17:20

BF:

Thanks for the welcome.

Awwww - I loved it when bub moved (he's the BooBoo in my name LOL)

I've got my first doctor's appt monday and will address the not gaining weight then. I'm in the category of at risk of GD because my BMI is over 35 (but only just) and one of the main reasons I want to prevent excess weight gain.

It really strange but in the first trimester of 1st pregancy I craved steak! I went off sugar as it gave me heartburn so I believe my body was telling me to low carb I also craved vegetables!

Take care
Charlie
x
  #447   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 08:45

BF:

Charlie,
I have a black cat named Boo.

I wished I craved steak in the first trimester, maybe I would not have gained so much weight. I mainly wanted comfort foods & fruit. I have to eat more meat now because of the GD & my low iron.

How old are you? If your older it's also easier to gain more weight because our metabolim is slower & it's also easier to get GD.
  #448   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 15:20

BF:

Hi Josie

I love cats but don't have any pets at the moment.

I'm 31, so not quite in the older mother category but not in young one either! I'm really conscious of GD and want to prevent it if at all possible, although hasn't helped today craving whippy icecream. I won't have it because of risk of listeria but boy do I want it!

If you don't mind me asking how much have you put on and was this the direct cause of your GD?
Thanks
  #449   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 08:07

BF:

Charlie,
I craved sweets all through the pregnancy. Which is why I think I gained alot so far. I believe it eating too much carbs caused my GD, I'm at a high risk for it to begin with, both of my parents are diabetics & I'm 36 but will be 37 in a couple of days.

So far I've gained over 30 pounds, I'll find out latter today when I go to see the DR. I don't weight myself it's to depressing. PLus now I'm seeing the DR every two weeks I'm on week 31. And to think I was maintaining my weight for almost 4 years.

Have a great day.
  #450   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 17:19

BF:

Thanks for the reply. Hope it goes well with the doctor and you stay well.

I've been craving sweets for the last few days, and although I've tried to resist, I have to admit I haven't been as strict on LCing as I should be. I've put on 4 lbs in the last week (I'm only in the first trimester) and I'm really disappointed. I won't see midwife for about a month and if I don't manage to get a grip on the gain I'll have to be under a consultant due to risk of GD. It hasn't helped that it's hubby's birthday today and he bought me choc fudge cake - I know I could have said no but sometimes that's not an option!

Take care
Charlie
x