Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-18, 04:51

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Those years were when the Saturday cartoons advertised cereals non-stop and even put prizes in the box and games on the carton to entice children.

It was the beginning of fast food. Before that people would bring food with them on trips.
Remember bringing your food and having a picnic? A thing of the past.

In my state they've closed down all of the roadside parks that people use to stop at on trips to eat their food while traveling. They've been replaced with fast food restaurants, no need to roadside parks anymore....I kid you not, that was the reason for closing the little parks.

No more roadside tables? That's sad. I never thought of that before but yes, growing up we always packed food for road trips. I did it with my own kids too. I think we still have roadside tables here in VT.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-18, 07:03

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I still take food with me most of the time, although more often than not, we'll stop at a fast food place or grocery store, and sit in the car in the parking lot to eat.

There are still a few roadside tables here and there, but they're very difficult to find. Most of them I've seen in the last couple decades are located at state welcome centers or rest areas along interstates - which doesn't exactly make them typical roadside picnic tables, but at least it helps you find those. There are some along Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Va, but those are mountaintop scenic routes (not something you'd be likely to travel on a daily basis), rather than typical state roads.

The rare ones along a typical state road are much more difficult to find, as most of those have been removed over the years. I'm sure that the proliferation of fast food places has had a lot to do with it, as well as convenience stores such as Sheetz and Royal Farms, which have food counters, with indoor and/or outdoor tables on site. But I'm also sure other factors have led to the demise of the roadside picnic table, such as widening roads, which gobbled up too much of the area between the road and nearby private property to retain the picnic areas, and the cost of maintaining the tables, emptying trash cans, grass cutting, etc.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-18, 07:21

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

We still have the usual number here in MI. They're well maintained too. I'm often stopping at them to walk my dog, if not to go to the bathroom and they seem to be frequented by others for those reasons. I see people eating at the bigger ones too; perhaps not as much as I used to. For my family growing up, my mother hated picnics because they were just more work for her, but for us kids it was fun, not least of which because we had picnic food. We usually went to a lake park too where we would swim. Perhaps also eating outside doesn't have the same appeal as more people have decks? They were rare back in the day - in our socioeconomic class anyway.

Decades ago when I went out West I was shocked at the lack of rest areas in other states, and they were dreary affairs too. No trees, no landscaping to speak of, maybe just a cement roof over a table. Come to MI for the beautiful and plentiful rest areas! Especially on the big lakes.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-18, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I remember the mid-1970's debate by the restaurant industry regarding their doubling portions.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 08:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Remember bringing your food and having a picnic? A thing of the past.

That's the way I grew up in the '60s. Even well into the '70s my dad wouldn't buy coffee. He took his propane camp stove & a cooler of food on any long trip. If he wanted coffee, he'd stop at a rest area & set up his stove.

I did that & then made the mistake of marrying someone who didn't like camping & thought eating at restaurants was easier. So 30 years of arguments & compromises. Tho now that I'm low carb, he doesn't have as much of a problem with me packing food. It's just too hard to find real food on the Interstates. I did find out that if I take care & make it a bit fancy, he's quite appreciative.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 09:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's the way I grew up in the '60s. Even well into the '70s my dad wouldn't buy coffee. He took his propane camp stove & a cooler of food on any long trip. If he wanted coffee, he'd stop at a rest area & set up his stove.

When we had cookouts my father would have us children gather kindling instead of using lighter fluid to start the fire on the grill (no gas grills in those days, just simple metal affairs). Stopping by the roadside and buying food was not part of our life back then in the 50's and 60's. Either we brought it along or we didn't have it. If nothing else it saves money. I make my own coffee, almost never buy any. My 3 cup a day habit would be too expensive if I relied on store made coffee especially since I am a bit of a coffee snob.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 14:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I remember putting a metal grill over the rocks surrounding a wood fire. Once the wood turned to coals or embers, we'd cook what we had, and it tasted great. Matter of fact, I've done that in the past 5 years when out west, as dried sage brush makes a great fire for cooking.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 11:09

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I know of one—ONE—roadside table on Hwy 101 going up the coast. Most of the Interstate rest stops in California have been closed because they are dangerous places these days. Sad.

It has been my belief—from what I have read—that obesity levels skyrocketed in the early 80s when the “fat free food” craze began. It was touted that you could eat as much as you wanted of, say Snackwells cookies, because there was no fat in them. Remember fat free margarine? Ghastly stuff, but I put it on my fat free popcorn!

Microwave ovens were introduced in the mid-70s, maybe we should blame that...
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
I know of one—ONE—roadside table on Hwy 101 going up the coast. Most of the Interstate rest stops in California have been closed because they are dangerous places these days. Sad.

It has been my belief—from what I have read—that obesity levels skyrocketed in the early 80s when the “fat free food” craze began. It was touted that you could eat as much as you wanted of, say Snackwells cookies, because there was no fat in them. Remember fat free margarine? Ghastly stuff, but I put it on my fat free popcorn!

Microwave ovens were introduced in the mid-70s, maybe we should blame that...

So I didn't believe it and looked it up. They really do have fat free margarine. But check out the ingredients...mono and di-glycerides...do those not count as fat? Is there some kind of loophole that lets them not count them or their calories on labels?

Are they even safe? Do they occur in natural foods? I can't see much danger except for maybe increased gluconeogenesis as the body tries to get rid of the higher ratio of glycerols...
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 11:43

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Are they even safe?

Don't know about safe, but I know it isn't food. Before I stopped eating bread, I would eat it margarine-less at church functions - I Can't Believe It's Not Butter was on all the tables. It tastes nasty - really nasty. I don't know how anyone could mistake it for butter.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 11:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There won't be a whole lot of glycerol in a serving. If glycerol is 1/10th of the average triglyceride in grams, then if the fatty acid chain length was about the same, it'd be 1/7th in di-and 1/4 in monoglyceride. This is basically a tiny amount of fat emulsified to give it some substance.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 11:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd guess that these fats being less hydrophobic vs. triglyceride is probably a factor in their use here.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 15:08

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Ah, the fat-free margarine. 1990's for me. On my homemade whole wheat bread. Trust me, I could believe it's not butter. It's too bad about that bread not turning out to be so good for me. Fresh homemade bread was so tasty. And addictive. And...okay, diabetes just doesn't suit me, and the hundred percent whole wheat stuff sent my blood sugar way too high, so no more bread.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 19:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

In the mid 1990's my sheep shearer said margarine was bad, so I switched to butter. Just took a couple more years to meet DANDR,then dropped the bread, and stopped making homemade bread : hot and steaming loaves now a thing of the past.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

In the 80s I remember all my aunts switching to margarine from butter because it was supposedly healthier. In the 90s all my uncles had heart attacks.