Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 03:45

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default High-sugar diet deadens sweet tooth; promotes overeating, obesity in flies

Quote:
Fat fruit flies: High-sugar diet deadens sweet tooth; promotes overeating, obesity in flies

Some research suggests that one reason people with obesity overeat is because they don't enjoy food—especially sweets—as much as lean people.

But it's not understood if obesity itself or eating certain foods causes taste changes, or how those changes impact appetite and obesity.

For clues, University of Michigan researchers turned to Drosophila melanogaster—fruit flies—in a study appearing May 7 in Cell Reports.

They discovered that after feeding fruit flies a high-sugar diet, the flies' taste neurons triggered a molecular chain-reaction that hampered their ability to taste sweets, which in turn fueled overeating and obesity. Further, eating sugar caused the taste changes, not the metabolic consequences of obesity or the sweet taste of food.

The fly findings are significant because if people respond similarly to sugar, researchers are closer to understanding how too much sugar contributes to overeating and obesity. And, because these are molecular changes, it supports the idea that overeating is at least partly beyond our control.

While it's impossible to measure fruit flies' "enjoyment" of food, they certainly ate more on the high-sugar diet, said principal investigator Monica Dus, U-M associate professor of molecular, cellular, and developmental biology.

And yes—fruit flies do become obese, said Christina May, first author of the study and a doctoral student in Dus' lab. Flies and humans share other surprising similarities: Both love sugar and fat and produce dopamine upon eating it, and their brain cells use many of the same proteins and molecules humans do, for the same things.

The researchers tested their findings in several ways. First, they fed flies that were genetically obese but never exposed to high dietary sugar, and their taste didn't change. However, when they fed sugar equivalent to a cookie to flies unable to store fat, they stayed thin but still lost the ability to taste sweets.

"That's really amazing because it tells you their ability to taste sweets changed because of what they're eating, not because they're becoming obese," May said.

To find out if the sugar or the sweet taste of food caused taste changes, the researchers fed flies a diet similar to artificially sweetened diet soda. Only the files eating real sugar lost their sweet-tasting ability.

"We know it's something specific about the sugar in the diet that's making them lose their taste," Dus said.

The researchers identified the molecule O-GlcNAc transferase, a sugar sensor located in the flies' taste buds that keeps track of how much sugar is in the cells. OGT has previously been implicated in obesity-related conditions like diabetes and heart disease in humans.

They also manipulated flies' taste cells so that even on a high-sugar diet they wouldn't lose taste, and those flies didn't overeat despite loads of sugar.
"This means the changes in taste, at least in flies, are pretty important to drive overconsumption and weight gain," Dus said. "Do changes in taste also play a role in the overconsumption that we see when humans and other animals find themselves in food environments high in sugar?"

Study co-author Anoumid Vaziri, a doctoral student in Dus' lab, said the findings "not only shed light on sugar-diet-dependent neural mechanisms of overeating and obesity, but provide a platform to study the underlying molecular mechanisms that drive changes in neural activity."

So what's this mean for people who are overweight, dieting or feel addicted to sugar? It's possible that in the long-term, a drug or other intervention that corrects dietary sweetness and preserves the sweet taste sensation could someday help curb obesity and the associated chronic diseases. But that is years away, May said.

More importantly, if humans respond the same way as the flies, the research suggests that changing the amount of sugar in the diet can help regulate our food intake, Dus said. Much of the sugar we eat is hidden in processed food, and it's important to keep it to a minimum, she added.

"I think if you try to keep added sugars out of your diet, you'll probably be totally fine, you won't have problems with changing taste and overeating," May said. "All of us try to avoid the added sugars. That's important."

Dus said that future research will examine sugar's impact on the brain's reward circuits to learn what causes overeating, and how sugar changes the brain on a molecular level.

More information: High Dietary Sugar Diet Reshapes Sweet Taste to Promote Overconsumption in Drosophila Melanogaster, Cell Reports (2019). doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2019.04.027

Journal information: Cell Reports

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-fat-f...sugar-diet.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 07:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I remember Drosophila melanogaster! Those fruit fly experiments in high school a million years ago? Oh yes. Fat fruit flies can tell us a lot.

Just kidding. I'm thinking fruit fly experiments are the beginning of many important medical breakthroughs. But I find it hard to imagine genetically engineered fruit flies who get fat (or not) and addicted (or not) to sugar. Most of us on this site have already learned that PEOPLE get addicted to sugar, and it messes with the metabolism.

Just...how do you tell if a fruit fly is fat??

I'm so glad our government research grants are funding important studies that may lead to increasing awareness that "added sugar" (in practically every packaged food on the planet) is not good.

So. Fruit flies beware.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 07:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I can think of one obvious approach to test this. Add massive amounts of artificial sweetener to people's food. Not to palatability, but past it--make the food a little too sweet.

With sugar fed rodents, there's a "sweet" spot. Not my pun, too obvious to be original to any one person. Anyways, add just the right amount of sugar to chow, animals eat more than without the sugar. Add too much--make the food too sweet--and their intake starts to go down again. I'd expect a fruit fly to have sort of a high-ish sweet spot, since a sugar based diet is species appropriate.

One way we're different from rodents or fruit flies, we have more control. Potentially at least. A chow-based diet, if an animal wants more of something in the food--sugar, salt, caffeine, whatever--they have to just eat more chow. We can add more salt to the same amount of food--or add another packet of sweetener, etc. Make stronger coffee. I've thought for a while that taking away the salt shaker, trying to make un-salty home cooked meals gave Doritos etc. an unfair advantage. If I crave salt, I reach for the shaker, not a bag of chips.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 16:16

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Very good points, Teaser. Another way that food manufacturers and medical advisors have led us astray, or made us stupid. Salt or not??