Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 19:09

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%
Default From Atkins to Protein Power

Hey everybody!

I'm currently doing Atkins, and have been for almost 3 years. I've got the 1996 edition (maybe 1998 because it's paperback ) of Protein Power and I've been seriously considering switching. I'm on the higher OWL rungs now, so it doesn't seem like such a huge leap, but I'm just wondering how many of you current Protein Power followers were former Atkins followers and if you have any advice for a Protein Power newbie!!

Thanks,
Sherry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 13:11

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I started out on Atkins and still use his plan for advancing diet. But I have also read Protein Power and PP Lifeplan, and prefer thei higher protein, lower fat version.

The PP books are better at explaining things. I also prefer lower fat than what's promoted on DANDR. I don't worry about fats, tho....I eat what I want, when I want, as long as it's fresh and natural.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 15:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I started on Atkins & use many of his principles but like the variety and focus on good foods without a lot of additives and making sure you get enough protein, as PP promotes. I actually eat a lot of fat on PP (65%). PP lets you design the program that works best for you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
PP lets you design the program that works best for you.

That's what I'm looking for!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 17:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

I think one of the big differencesis that PP emphasizes the need to divide your carbs and protein requirement relatively evenly through the day. With Atkins, there's a tendency to eat a lighter breakfast and lunch, and save up the bulk of the day's carbs and protein for the evening meal. If you're used to eating a small breakfast, it can be tricky to ensure that you're getting the target amount of protein.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 19:52

Thanks ladies for the input!! I think I'm doing an Atkins Pre-Maintenance/PP Phase 2 plan!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 20:11

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Keep us informed! I'm reading PP Lifeplan now....I think 200 edition? It's very interesting reading the rationale on how things work.....and it's a great motivator! I think it's a better read than the original Protein power.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Keep us informed! I'm reading PP Lifeplan now....I think 200 edition? It's very interesting reading the rationale on how things work.....and it's a great motivator! I think it's a better read than the original Protein power.

I'll have to check that one out too... The best thing I've found about reading up on LC (regardless of plan) is all that science and research they include about our modern diet (and now illnesses) compared to pre-agriculture!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 17:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I like both PP and PPLP and find that the good explanations about what is good to eat and not good are what keeps me on plan. I re-read both of them once or twice a year.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 10:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I have done both. Recently I have somewhat cut down on my protein. I think I was eating too much. They are both excellent plans and they work. Best of luck.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 18:51

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorra_1
I'll have to check that one out too... The best thing I've found about reading up on LC (regardless of plan) is all that science and research they include about our modern diet (and now illnesses) compared to pre-agriculture!

If you are really interested in the science, I have the bibliography for PPLP posted at http://ppwol.suddenlaunch3.com/inde...board=resources including all the PubMed reference numbers that I could find. The first thread tells you how to form the URL to go right to the abstract of the paper used by the Drs.Eades in writing PPLP. I had to break the biblio up because it exceed the character limit for a post, by almost 12 times! There are over 400 citations in the biblio. A LOT of good science there. Some of the citations do not have an abstract but then some of the citations have access to the full paper, depending upon the journal.

I also STRONGLY recommend that you have both PP and PPLP, like deirdra, and study them carefully. I still find thing in them that I missed on the first three readings. The plan is the same but with refinements in PPLP from what they learned from the feed back on the first book, PP, plus the addition of five years worth of newer research. full half of the PPLP citations are from research done AFTER PP was published. The different "views" of the plan help, I think, to make a fuller picture.

Larry
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 155/100/105 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi, I am thinking of switching from Atkins to PP. I too like the emphasis on protein in this plan.
I read PP and half way through PPLP. I have a question on supplements suggested in these books. Since I had been on Atkins, I have been taking Atkins Basic 3 vitamin but when compared to the requirements suggested by the Eades, Atkins Basic 3 is rather deficient. Is there a brand that comes closer to Eades recommendation? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 10:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There is a lot of overlap between the two plans. It is easy to eat in a way that is within the guidelines of both plans (excluding the Atkins induction). I follow Atkins, but use the PP guidelines for protein intake.

The Eades' books are better in providing a scientic explanation for why LC works and the health benefits. Dr. Lutz's Life Without Bread also is a good read for explaining the low carb science.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 14:07

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by poirot
Is there a brand that comes closer to Eades recommendation? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

None that I've found. I've gone back and forth with downing 12 to 14 pills night and day to get what the Eades recommend, and taking nothing.

The happy medium I've found right now is a high-potency vitamin, plus magnesium, potassium, and selenium. I also sometimes (like recently) take a little extra vitamin D and borage oil (supposed to be good for nails) and biotin. But that comes and goes because I never see any difference in the way I feel or anything.

I sure wish there was one brand that came so close I'd only have to take one or two of them a day and call it good.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 155/100/105 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Mike, agree - I learned what not to eat in Atkins but PP gives me better guide as what to eat.

Bawdy, I was afraid of that.. I have to start looking for a cocktail that works for me. Thanks for sharing your solution.