Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-21, 14:55

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Any super size bicycle riders??

Hello everyone! Im very plus sized but I really want to start riding a bike. Specifically a tricycle. The ones im seeing are weighted to 350lbs. I know there are very heavy duty ones but they are also VERY expensive so I am hoping there are maybe upgrades I can do to a more standard bike that can increase the weightlimit some? Better tires or wheels? Any advice it appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-21, 16:37

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

Well I guess the answer is no lol
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 09:23

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Mrs. K......I tried! Hubby and I took our old 7 speed cruisers to get reworked with the intention of starting to ride again for exercise. We neglected to account for our age, lack of balance and my bad knees. We used to ride these bikes about 5 miles a day (20 years ago) and even after that, when we moved I would ride mine to get the mail and to the barn (about a 1/2 mile. For some reason we quit and just got old and out of shape

When I attempted to ride my redone bike, I had trouble getting on, it killed my bad knee and I almost wrecked. I should have gotten one of those 3-wheel or recumbent bikes that was safer for me. We can't afford to break bones in a fall. My husband had his hip replace several years ago and I worry that he might damage it in a fall.

I was comfortable (kind of) using a recumbent bike at rehab, so I investigated and bought a recumbent stepper for home. I have yet to set it up as I am clearing out a space for it in my bedroom, but I hope it will solve my problems. At least I will have a way to exercise in bad weather.

Perhaps another style bicycle would do for me, but I sure can't easily ride my old one anymore.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-21, 09:50

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I bought a bike last year because I thought I would use it. I loved bike riding in my younger days, but I haven't owned a bike since my 20's. I did research and bought a second-hand touring bike with a high weight rating. It was awkward getting used to it, but I was able to stay upright! But. What has kept me from really using it is the mental stuff. I am overly concerned about what I look like (huge butt, overflowing on the little seat) and the fact that I'm so out of shape and go slow. Then there's the issue of traffic on the roads and people on the sidewalks. I'm too wobbly to feel safe with everyone else around. I think that if I can find somewhere more isolated where I don't have to worry about these things, then I might do it more often. But....motivation....getting off the couch....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 06:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's lovely to be able to get out on a bike. Any exercise is better than none. My bike is electric so easy when it comes to tackling our undulating roads.

Would you be able to access cycle routes that would be safer Donna I? I live in a fairly quiet area so try to stick to back roads without much traffic.

I do sort of understand your dilemma. We have a local active travel hub that caters for beginner or return cyclists. Mb you could speak to someone who knows about those. I hope you find something that could enthuse and help you to get that bike out.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-22, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 416/382.4/200 Male 6'-1"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi, great to see this thread. I used to be a really avid bicyclist but when my weight went above 380 I stopped riding. Since I used to put in ten-mile rides regularly, it shows that it isn't exercise that takes weight off but correct eating. All that riding and I got bigger and bigger.

I'm losing weight again from a high of 416. Now I'm at 397. I bought Schwalbe Big Apple tires for a Schwinn a few years back and they were excellent. I had faith in them! I think the bike is rated for 350 so I'm GOING (no more hoping) to get down enough to ride that bike again. I miss it so much. I also still have a Raleigh Tourist that is really heavy-duty and was great to ride. Steel frame. It's about a 70-year-old bike. The brakes were very unique in that they are rods, not cables.

Even if biking everywhere doesn't do much for the weight loss, it's so important to get that fresh air and the blood circulating. Thanks for putting this thread up!