Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-21, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/168/165 Male 5' - 8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Here we go again!

Hello everyone.
I am an 80 year old man, in far condition for not exercising much. (I walk my dog once a day).
I'm new to the forum but not new to Atkins. About 4 years ago (give or take a life time) I went on Atkins and over the first year lost 40 pounds and felt good.
Then the call of the wild pizza and cheery pie and ice cream over took me and I gained 25 back.
So here we go. I enjoy keeping track of my of my food I eat. I fast 2 and a half days per week. (strict fast) Don't like to drink water but do a couple of times a day.
I'm on FatSecret and keep track of my carbs, protein, fat, fiber and calories.
This time I have lost 5 pounds and seem to have stalled out for about a week.
I've been wondering what I should be watching of the above intake?
I'm sure someone has an idea or two.
Thanks for the help.
wlben
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-21, 12:36

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I wouldn't worry about a one-week stall. I stall for more than a week about once a month. It's frustrating, no denying that. But if you have a plan that you have absolute confidence in, then just wait it out. Our bodies lose weight on their own time schedule and we just have to be more stubborn than them.

As for what to focus on, that seems to be a highly individual thing. For me, it came down to focusing on the calories, but that is because doing that has allowed me to have that absolute confidence that I needed that my course of action is guaranteed to work if I only stay the course.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-21, 04:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi again,
I would be watching to be sure you are getting enough protein over a week if you do two and half days of fasting. As we get older we need more protein to prevent muscle loss, sarcopenia, and prevent breaking bones. Here's a short clip why extended fasting is not recommended: https://youtu.be/sex42wS4u3Q

To watch more good interviews about Protein from Dr Ted Naiman, see DietDoctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doc...0-dr-ted-naiman

and the two top threads on this sub-forum: https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-21, 06:39

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Greetings and enjoy looking around here. It's kind of dull but that's ok, easy to keep up with the goings of of the virtual neighbors
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-21, 07:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Maybe add apple cider vinegar to your daily regiment. Part of the reason we need more protein as we age is stomach acids are weaker. I use Bragg's unpasteurized ACV daily.

Hang in there, your body is still working it's low carb magic during a stall.