Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-21, 17:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Gluten Contamination in Fryers - Recent Study

If you're like me and have reactions to gluten, you're probably already leery of restaurant food because of possible cross-contamination. This little study demonstrates what we probably already know - if you eat deep-fried food from a restaurant that also fries gluten-containing foods in the same fryer, even your gluten-free food probably won't be anymore.

Gluten-free foods cooked in shared fryers with wheat: A pilot study assessing gluten cross contact

Quote:
Introduction: Consumers with celiac disease are dissuaded from eating fried foods cooked in shared fryers with wheat-containing foods at restaurants based on presumed gluten exposure. The purpose of the present study is to assess gluten levels of fries free of gluten-containing ingredients cooked in shared fryers with wheat.

Methods: 20 orders of fries were purchased from 10 different restaurants. Restaurants confirmed that fries and oil were free of gluten-containing ingredients. All restaurants confirmed that their fryers were used to cook wheat-containing foods. Fries were sent to Bia Diagnostics and tested in 1-gram duplicates using the R7001 sandwich R5 ELISA and the R7021 competitive R5 ELISA. A microwave control also was run.

Results: The sandwich ELISA found gluten in 9/20 fry orders (7 to > 84 ppm). The competitive ELISA found gluten in 3/20 fry orders (14 to > 283 ppm). In the microwave control (60-ppm gluten mixture of wheat flour and canola oil) , the unheated mixture tested at a mean level of 64 ppm gluten using the sandwich ELISA and 137 ppm gluten using the competitive ELISA. The mixture heated to 190°C tested at a mean level of 55 ppm gluten using the sandwich ELISA and < 10 ppm and 16 ppm gluten using the competitive ELISA.

Discussion: Based on test results, 25% of fry orders would not be considered gluten-free.

Summary: Gluten cross contact may occur when gluten-free foods are cooked in shared fryers with wheat. ELISAs may underperform when analyzing for gluten that has been heated.

FWIW, I believe foods are allowed to be declared gluten-free if there's <20 ppm thereof.

So if the crappy canola/soybean/whatever garbage seed oil isn't a good enough reason to avoid the above, the unintended wheat ingestion also doesn't help. It's generally best to deep-fry yourself at home or find a restaurant with a separate fryer.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-21, 19:06

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Thx Kristine! I bet it happens ALL the time! The biggest risk I take is with chicken wings. There is one grocery here, The Fresh Market, that eliminates that risk by rotisserie cooking them. And they are delish!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-21, 20:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good cautionary tale. It makes sense, and you're right about the oils used that further damage health and increase inflammation.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-21, 18:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yup......restaurants are not my first choice for clean food.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-21, 12:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My brother has been in the restaurant business for a couple of decades: he's got lots of good reasons

But yes: I'm happy to live in an area with few chains and lots of chef/owners, and it can still be tricky.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-21, 06:38

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

A few years ago I was at lunch with some co-workers and they suggested sharing some nacho’s. I figured a couple nacho’s wouldn’t kill me so I asked if they were deep fried in a shared deep fryer. My coworkers said “wait , what; are the nacho’s deep fried?” They were at that place, we didn’t order nachos and it wasn’t because of CC.