Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 09:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/245/190
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Question

I started the ATkins diet originally in 1986 and went from 260 lbs to 180lbs in ~8 months. I managed to keep it off for several yrs. Occasionally I went back on the diet full force instead of doing a maintenance diet. In 95 I went on it and had good results and kept the wieght off. Then in 02 I had an accident and shot up to 170 while recuperating. Now I've gone back on very strictly and its been 8 months and the weight is coming off much slower than it did before. Does any one have any suggestions as to why.

I walk approx. 3-5 miles a day and climb stairs all day.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 09:17

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hi Chuck,

Any new meds? Loss of muscle for some reason?

My advice would be to lift weights. Men add muscle so quickly - that's how they lose quicker than women. That extra lean muscle will help burn lots more calories per day.

Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 09:24

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Oh, also posting your menus is a good idea for trouble-shooting. There are many knowledgable folks on here who are more than willing to help.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:00

BF:

My ability to lift weights etc is limited after the wreck. I heard that if you go on and off and on and off..ad nauseum, the diet quits working. I did that for ten years or more. Any truth to that?

Average menu per day:

No Breakfast
Lunch: Small salad with two tomatoe wedges, cheese, meat (grilled chicken) eggs, and Blue cheese dressing. (About two Tbsp)
or:
Just a oiece of meat such as steak, hamburger or chicken

Supper: Meat (unbreaded) and small helping of veg. Such as kale,
mustard greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cualiflour, asparagus, or maybe zuchinni. Never corn, potatoes, or other high carb vegies.
also Cheese and some nuts occasionally.

I was using Ksticks and stayed in the purple for a whole month.
Lost maybe 4 pounds.

I drink a lot of aspartame. Is that neagtive for the diet?

Chuck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

You should read the thread on aspertame that's floating around here and decide for yourself. You may not be eating enough calories to maintain a healthy weight. Also, you're eight years older than you were the last time you started Atkins. Even those kids who could eat two pizzas for dinner in college and never gain weight can't keep that up, men have that unbelievable metabolism in their teens and early twenties, but it really slows down after that.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:21

BF:

Right now I about a third of what I did the first time I was on the diet. Then I stayed in ketosis and ate at least twice what I was used to eating. You're right though. I am older. 45 than I was the last time. Guess its time to start riding a bicycle again.

Chuck
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Actually, even if you're not losing as quickly as you did last time (and remember, hindsight tends to paint a rosy picture), you're still losing really well! Atkins states that on average, you should lose ten per cent during induction and five per cent per month after that, so you should expect to lose, what, four pounds a month after induction. Yeah, you're losing about sixty per cent of that, but Atkins average is predicated on at least thirty minutes of activity at least three days a week, for those in our age range. I know, what was so easy in our thirties is just hard in our forties!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 23:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default What is your age ( not to be personal )

Could you be peri-menopausal? Peri-menopause puts a pause on alotta things.

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 00:51

Stats: 230/206/187 Male 196 cm
BF:
Progress: 56%

Chuck,

Aspartaam (In dutch) is not a thing I would like to eat once more.
It must be that it raises my insuline a lot, that is, I end up with a very low! level of sugar in my blood. I must eat anything I see at that moment.

I believe I read that it does raise your insuline, but I'm not sure.
Anyway that would be a bad combination for people like us, who eat a lot of fat

You could try to skip it for a while I guess.

Bye

Pax
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 01:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Theresa113 referred to an article in another post called the "Golden Shot". It is at www.lowcarbluxury.com/goldenshot.html The more you have dieted in the past, the slower the weight loss. Be persistent. It does come off. Also, you may lose inches before the scale moves. So don't get overly concerned in the beginning. Your experience may not be similar to your previous tries, although I'm sure it will be just as successful in the long run this time.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 05:52

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Based on the menu you posted, it really looks like you may not be getting enough calories. That would make your body hold onto the weight as well. If you can't manage to add in breakfast, maybe you could do a protein shake or something. I think a shake would be better than skipping altogether.

Best of luck to you!!!!

L
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:34
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

You need to eat something in the morning. After fasting all night, food is what you need. If you do not eat regularly, your body thinks there is a food shortage and will try to hang on to it's fat in case things get worse.

It doesn't have to be a big thing, or even breakfast food. Just a little protein can tide you over until lunch.

Looks like you need more protein at lunch too...on those days you only have an ounce of meat. Try for 4 ounces.

Nuts can stall as well as aspertame.

Drink water!!!!!!!

Beth
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:45

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Sound advice from everyone- the only thing I can add is be sure you get your 3 cups of veggies a day. It doesn't look like you're getting nearly enough.

I recall seeing quite a few threads w/ppl discussing doing Atkins for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. time and what they've encountered. I'd bet you'd find quite a few threads if you did a search.

Best of luck for your continued success and recovery.

Nikki
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:37
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I didn't eat breakfast, either, at first. (Never have - just not hungry early).

Now I try to have half a cut of plain, full-fat yogurt and / or a tablespoon or 2 of SF almond butter. It takes less than a minute and seemed to boost my energy & weight loss.