Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 11:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
Oh wow! I haven't seen one of those in AGES!

I finally received my Nourishing Broth book (Sally Fallon) in the mail this week, and I've been skimming through it trying to get a feel for which ones I'd like to try. The only thing I can see being a bit of an issue right now is getting bones or joints from my butcher. He's pretty low on everything right now, but he assured me it's temporary. I might have a look at the grocery store and see if they have any in stock.

Get a whole chicken. Roast the whole thing, remove the meat for eating, use the bones for broth. Or cut up the chicken, if you prefer cooking the individual pieces. Set aside the back and wing tips for broth, adding the bones from the rest of the bird as they become available. You can quite safely use the bones left on the plate after dinner; the heat & long cooking time will be sufficient. Or you could check if the market has any "family packs" of chicken pieces.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 18:01

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

Loving the pics of the old crock pots! Nothing is built to last like that anymore which is such a shame.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 18:38
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Get a whole chicken. Roast the whole thing, remove the meat for eating, use the bones for broth. Or cut up the chicken, if you prefer cooking the individual pieces. Set aside the back and wing tips for broth, adding the bones from the rest of the bird as they become available. You can quite safely use the bones left on the plate after dinner; the heat & long cooking time will be sufficient. Or you could check if the market has any "family packs" of chicken pieces.

That sounds like a good idea. I've got a bunch of chicken legs left over from my last few butcher box orders sitting in my freezer. I think I'll try using them.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 18:40
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCinAust
Loving the pics of the old crock pots! Nothing is built to last like that anymore which is such a shame.

You said it sister
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 19:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just cooked some chicken soup with 4 thighs, celery and onions and lots of herbs. So easy and so good and filling!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, May-30-20 at 22:28.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 19:03

BF:

My original "Crock Watcher", bought in the late 1970s/early 1980s, is still going strong. About 8 years ago I decided to upgrade, just because the first one was looking really dated, and I thought a new one might be better, for some reason. I was, in fact, ready to toss the old one out, on the premise that I only needed one. Turns out, the only advantage the new one has over the old is size. The old one has a feature which I love; it can be set to be on high until it reaches heat, about 1 & a half hours, and then switches automatically to low. New ones don't do that. Also, the temps on new ones appear to be higher than in the old ones, which isn't always a good thing. Needless to say, I never tossed the dated old one, and have, on occasion (Thanksgiving mostly) found that I don't mind having 2 slow cookers at all.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 19:09
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just some chicken soup with 4 thighs, celery and onions and lots of herbs. So easy and so good and filling!

That sounds perfect. Can I ask what you cooked it in? Crockpot, Instant Pot, stovetop? Also, what herbs do you prefer to use?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 22:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
That sounds perfect. Can I ask what you cooked it in? Crockpot, Instant Pot, stovetop? Also, what herbs do you prefer to use?

I cooked it on the stove in a big pot.
The herbs I used this time were thyme, poultry seasoning, bay leaves s&p.
I think that was it.
Oh wait, toward the end of cooking I had a couple of sprigs of parsley from trimming a plant so I threw that in too.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-21, 18:29

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Thud, nice pics, of course. The most crazy gelatinous broth I've made was from bone-in pork shoulder. If you've ever made Jello Jigglers that you can cut with a knife and eat with your fingers, that was it. .....

Was it gelatinous due to protein content? I'm not familiar enough with bone broth I guess.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-21, 20:55

BF:

My mother always hosted Thanksgiving dinner. Her house was more or less central; we had all grown up there, it was Home. As the only daughter, I ended up doing most of the cooking, but I didn’t mind; this was the kitchen I learned how to cook in, and I have always felt that Thanksgiving dinner is the easiest meal of the year to cook - you don’t have to to think about it; it is what it is, and don’t you dare change it! One year mother insisted that I take the turkey carcass home with me (1 1/2 hour drive) because she couldn’t face any more turkey broth. She was unable to consider throwing out the carcass, but she couldn’t face having more broth in her freezer. I took it home, but my husband said “never again”, because of the smell, in the car. I take after my mother: I cannot throw out bones that could make broth or soup. I actually tried it once; my freezer was full, I had a chicken carcass, I had the garbage bag open and ready to accept it, and wasn’t able to do it. Chicken stock was made, and room was found. And I realized I was, indeed, my mother’s daughter.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-21, 01:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
Was it gelatinous due to protein content? I'm not familiar enough with bone broth I guess.
Yes, that's how they make Jell-o. Gelatin is the protein (or group of proteins?) that makes it jelly-like. I think most of it comes from joints and connective tissues. It also makes up our joints and connective tissues.

I suppose it would also depend on how much water you used, and how much cooked out.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-21, 18:39

BF:

Okay guys; I'm ready to try this. I have chicken leg bones. I plan to simmer them in 1 gallon water with 2 tbsp ACV tomorrow night for 12 hours.
Any tips?
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-21, 03:23

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I use a 7 quart crock pot and cook for 48 hours, so twice a day I add 3-5 cups due to evaporation. Just keep in mind that you have to add as it gets reduced, which leads to a richer broth - so you're not watering it down.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-21, 08:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I do add some extra water during cooking time .. just enough to ensure everything stays covered with liquid. However, when it's done I strain out all solid scraps then return the liquid broth back to the crock (or inner pot if I've used my pressure cooker). Then I crank up the heat, leave the lid off and let it bubble away for at least 15 or 20 minutes to reduce by about half. It's easier to store 2 quarts of concentrated broth than a whole gallon . I freeze the broth in 2 cup portions .. then add extra water as necessary at time of use.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-21, 18:54

BF:

If I don't freeze it, how long will it keep in frig? can I freeze tupperware? i'm using a soup pot; i don't have a slowcooker.

Last edited by JustAGirl : Mon, Apr-19-21 at 19:49.