Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 12:48

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Dr Weil's comments on 5HTP...

...Promoters claim that 5-HTP is more effective than tryptophan in relieving depression, sleeping problems and, possibly, narcotics withdrawal. However, I have seen no scientific evidence demonstrating that it works as advertised. Anyone taking any type of anti-depressant medication should avoid 5-HTP, except under a physician’s supervision. Side effects include nausea, constipation, flatulence, drowsiness and reduced sex drive. In high doses, 5-HTP may cause liver problems and aggravate asthma. Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant shouldn’t take it....

...As for foods: with or without 5-HTP, high carbohydrate meals may increase serotonin levels, but this varies from person to person. I wouldn’t depend on diet to increase serotonin levels – you could get a brief boost from a candy bar, but even if you do, it won’t last. The impact of more complex carbohydrates is less clear. Paradoxically, while protein rich foods contain tryptophan these same foods have been found to block serotonin production....

I knew I had seen something not good about it somewhere!

Last edited by quietone : Tue, Feb-11-03 at 12:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 20:59

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

I am sure not every supplement isn't right for everybody, but the 5 HTP is a miracle for me. I can't believe how a good nights sleep makes you feel. Everyday I am feeling better. There might be alternatives to 5HTP, but the most important thing is to GET BETTER SLEEP!! I can't stress this enough, since I am sleeping better, my legs feel great!!!

-Jess
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:51

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I'm so glad it is working for you. I may try it myself (despite the good doctor's warnings). You're right...a good night's sleep is imperative for your health.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 09:49

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

In addition to 5-htp there are other herbs that help me sleep
I take an herbal sleep aid when I really need to sleep .Which I
probably should take every night. As you can see it is the herbs that are higher amounts I am guessing the cal mag just helps it all work together. I am finding that when I take lower amounts of multiple herbs I get better results. Each one does its thing without being overpowering. Well that is my two cents for the day. Debbie

Here are the ingredients
calcium 50 mg
niacin 50 mg
B6 20 mg
magnesium 114 mg
kava kava 200 mg
valerian 150 mg
lemon balm 150 mg
passion flower 150 mg
melatonin 5 mg
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-22, 05:00

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have seen significant health benefits (better sleep, mood, digestion to name a few) since I started taking 5-HTP.

I hope everyone finds what works for them; I pray good health for all.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-22, 10:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

For some reason the only non-drug sleep aid that works for me is Trader Joe's Calming Sleep formula. It has L-theanine, 5-htp and melatonin. I've tried other brands with the same ingredients, but they don't do a thing for me. It's weird. I figure it's a placebo thing.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-22, 22:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Might be the ingredient list is not what is in the package......

5htp is an otc supplement recommended by dr Amen. For specific situations.

My son benefitted greatly when he took this to balance his meds for ADHD. Eventually as he built friendships and got into gaming on line with same friends he didnt need the 5htp.... The friends became his serotonin.

He is in his 6th year gaming. Same friends. Online gaming 2-3 nights a week. And they get together for one week in the summer to camp, cook and game.

5htp was a blessing. Thank you Dr Daniel Amen.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-22, 10:26

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

My experience with it, even in small doses, is that it makes my stomach just hurt. Xylitol sweetener does the same thing.