Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:03

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%
Default Why am I gaining 4 weeks into Atkins????

Why am I gaining 4 weeks into the induction of Atkins. I've done Atkins three times previously (1. 16lbs 2. 32lbs 3. 11lbs) but never in my opinion took it seriously enough. Now when I am finally taking it seriously as a WOL I'm finding it nearly impossible to lose weight. I've only lost 8.5lbs in the last 4 weeks and that's my FIRST 4 WEEKS. What the hell. By now I've usually lost about 16lbs and haven't worked even half as hard as I am this time. I don't cheat, I drink nothing but water (at least 3-4 liters a day), one cup of coffee and I walk the stairs at work (haven't taken the elevator for 3 and 1/2 weeks now) and go for a 30-40 minute walk at lunch. So......what the hell is going on? For a minute there I was actually even gaining weight......went slowly from 197 to 201 f***cking b**tch. It's gotten me really down and my fiancee in his well meaning way makes it worse sometimes by saying I'm being too hard on myself and that just irritates and frustrates me more 'cause I know I'm not and I know I should be seeing better results. To resolve the issue I went over what I've done differently this time than the others.......

1. been eating a lot of sugar free candy (so I cut that out)

2. been drinking nothin but water

3. been eating a lot of pepperoni (in the process of cutting that down)

4. been walking the stairs and at lunch time and moving a lot more period (could account for some of the slow weightloss.....lose fat, gain muscle and muscle weighs more)

5. haven't been cheating "at all" mother effer!!!

So, I've laid it out.............hellllllllllllllllllp!! What am I doing wrong? Right now I'm averaging per day about 103g of fat a day, 20g of carbs and about 1572 calories. Is it too much fat? I need to look back in my last year food record to see what I really did differently as far as numbers. If you have any suggestion, please provide I'm all ears. I'm so into it now and determined to get the real me out in the open that I can't even think of giving up. I'm so gung ho I've suprised myself. Last night I was so depressed that I ate about 1/2 a cup of Ivy's leftover lo mein noodles and about 1/2 cup of strawberry ice cream with hershey's syrup. The reason I only ate 1/2 cup of the noodles was because after 2 bites they started tasting really crappy and the ice cream just wasn't doing anything for me. In other words I found that even if I did want to stop the diet (which I don't) I can't because that food is just not doing anything for me anymore. That makes me feel good and gives me hope for the future. I'm praying that I'm just in some kind of a rut and I'll soon break free and really start losing weight. I feel like I'm stuck in someone else's body these days and I can't wait to get out. It's just not me anymore, this body isn't mine it's some other messed up girl's that's not me anymore. Can anyone help me get out?

My Fitday info is below for anyone who wants to take a peep.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Poisinivy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:05

Default On top of all of that......

On top of all of that I finally got down to 197 only to get on the scale this am and weigh 197.......ten minutes later 198.....20 minutes later 200. At this point I don't know if my scale is broken or if I'm broken and it's got me simply brokenhearted. How does someone gain 3 lbs in 30 minutes???
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

First of all, you're letting your scale dictate your life. That's gotta change. You need to also start using a tape measure. I found even when the scale isn't budging, the measurements are getting smaller. Keep track on your computer or in a notebook or something.

Secondly, jumping on and off the scale all day long isn't good. Every time you drink something your weight will go up. Every time you pee it'll go down. Plus, some scales are just notoriously unreliable. If you can, try to buy a scales that will give you the same reading when you get on it a few times. Or you might just want to check that your scales are on an even, level surface too.

Another thing is that for me, exercising tends to either make me retain a lot of fluids, or else I make muscle very quickly. I suspect its a combination of both. But that's another reason why it is important to track your measurements.

Also, try using www.mybodycomp.com it has you measure a lot of spots. I use it once a month and I'm usually quite pleased by how much I lose in inches each month.

Finally, if nothing else seems to work and you're not losing inches or pounds, try lowering the calories more. I'm losing at a nice pace on 1200 a day.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:51

Plan: SB
Stats: 279/271.5/180 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Why are you weighing yourself every 20 minutes??? Throw away the scale - you seem obsessed with it. Try weighing once a week instead of every day. Weight does fluctuate on a daily basis - ask anyone around here - they will tell you the same thing.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:57

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had my husband hide my scale for 3 WEEKS because I was way too obsessed with it and letting it determine my mood for the day. It was getting really ridiculous, where I was cheating if it was up I am telling you, it was the second-best thing I ever did (first was starting this WOE in the first place), it was soooo LIBERATING!!! Honestly, you're much better focussed on just eating well and drinking your water, etc. I also was excited to weigh on the date I'd chosen and it helped me to stick to plan 100% to have the best surprise when I did weigh. I waited until after TOM, to get the best numbers. Try this -- you won't regret it!

Good luck and please stick it out and get somebody to HIDE THE SCALE

Nicole
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

And get rid of the pepperoni.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 13:17
Registered Member

Stats: 263.5/270/160 Female 69
BF:
Progress: -6%

First I would recommend that you give up the love affair with the scale. Mine has put a restraining order on me. It is locked far away, safe from me and my wild shoutings.

It's good that you took out the sugarfree candy, because it might have been part of the reason.

Really, you might be losing inches as opposed to pounds! Don't give up!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 13:20

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

This is my third time around doing Atkins (I use it to take off baby weight after pregnancies) and I've noticed that it seems to go slower each time. I've been at it for almost 6 weeks and I've lost 9 pounds. The first time around, I lost 10 in the first week. Don't worry about it going slow. Just take measurements and stick with it. It will *eventually* come off. A little each week (or every few weeks even) is better than if you weren't losing at all (or worse...gaining), right? I admit that I do weigh every day but I only record it once a week, along with my measurements. It fluctuates all the time...but it's on a downward trend and that's what counts. Try not to obsess over every little pound. Just stick with the program and know that it'll work over time.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 13:28

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I was going to suggest the opposite of nancy. I think you should up your calories a little. Your Basal Calories Burned reads 1689. From what i have been reading, that is the minimum you need to consume to lose weight, because anything lower threatens starvation mode. Apparently the Basal number is the calories your body will burn in a resting state for normal body function. We are not resting though...even when we arent working out, most of us are working, cleaning, taking care of children, whatever (hence the lifestyle number).

I would try to make 1600-1700 the target for a week or two and see what happens.
I would also eat more veggies. It doesnt look like you are getting many veggies and you are using your carbs for LC products. That was a problem for me.

I am still struggling with this same issue, but since I started monitoring my calories, working out, etc., the scale has started moving a little again.

Girl...you can do it...get back into ketosis and kick some butt!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 13:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm afraid my suggestion is going to be very "not fun" sounding, but I suggest you cut out the low-carb products and peanuts altogether, and replace them with veggies for a week or two and see if that gets things moving again.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 14:31

Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 286%

Don't feel so bad... I believe on my 5th or 6th week I GAINED 8 POUNDS and NEVER cheated, not even a little!! Took me TWO weeks to lose it again. Our bodies are just weird sometimes.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:05

Thanks so much for all your support guys.......it really has been getting me down. I'm going to reasses things and use some of your advice. I was thinking about the increasing calories part.......but my hunger on a good day only seems to accomodate about 1800 calories and a bad 1300. I drink so much water that I feel full most of the time. But........I'm not giving up. I'll just make some more modifications and keep modifying until I get it right.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:22

Stats: 123/114/110 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default it's a scale conspiracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisinivy
On top of all of that I finally got down to 197 only to get on the scale this am and weigh 197.......ten minutes later 198.....20 minutes later 200. At this point I don't know if my scale is broken or if I'm broken and it's got me simply brokenhearted. How does someone gain 3 lbs in 30 minutes???

I am so glad you posted this! I was embarassed to admit that I had become obsessed with weighing myself every 30 minutes, and I would go up and down all the time...sometimes two pounds. I have been thinking my scale is defective (I bought the cheapest digital scale they had at Wal-Mart) but I just have too much pride to return a scale and claim it defective (Can't you just imagine what the salespeople would say after I left!)

So, can someone gain 3 lbs in 30 minutes? I've gotten on the scale 5 minutes later and was up two pounds. Funny....it never went back down though.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:34

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi Poisinivy,
Sorry you are having such a rough time. I looked at your fitday and the only suggestion I have is to try to up your veggies. On most days you are getting only about 5 or less carbs from veggies which is supposed to be your main source for them. I have found for myself that if I start to get low on veggie intake it shows up in my weight loss. Dark leafy greens like baby spinach or any others from the list would be great. The extra fiber always helps too Best wishes and luck - you can do it!

Marie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:37

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

I weigh once a day and I don't usually worry about the small fluctuations...but lately I having a difficult time getting a good reading. I'll weigh three times and get three different numbers (and I try to step on carefully, in the same spot, etc.). The scale is on a hard floor, so I can only think it isn't very good. It's very frustrating when I weigh myself three times and the numbers vary by as much as five pounds! Scales are evil I tell you.