Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 19:15
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Brocco-Cauli Baby

This new veggie creation was so good! As I washed up the dishes after dinner, I tried to come up with a clever name for it. I had decided on coining the word “brocco-cauli” and as I repeated the rhythm and cadence of my new “word” suddenly I began remembering the old hit tune: ♪♪♪ Come To Me My Melancholy Baby ♪♪♪ (telling my age there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJi_X9WpHQ
Lyrics to my version:
Come to me my Brocco-Cauli Baby. ♪
Cuddle up and don’t be blue. ♪
All your fears are foolish fancies, baby. ♪
You know dear that I’m in love with you. ♪

When I looked in the refrigerator this afternoon to decide what to serve with my Montreal Baked Chicken, the ½ head of cauliflower and 1/3 bunch of broccoli sure looked promising, but I didn’t have enough of either one by themselves. Now I know I’ve come across a lot of recipes over the years for broccoli and cauliflower mixed together, but I don’t think I personally have ever cooked or tasted one before. Frankly, they just never sounded very appealing together to me before. In addition, most of those recipes call for commercial canned soup, which I just won’t use anymore. Too much sodium, not to mention a bunch of other ingredients I just won’t eat anymore. So I started cutting up my cauliflower and broccoli into small flowerettes and decided to create something creamy with healthier ingredients than any canned soup could offer. I’m most pleased with the resulting dish. And it’s ever so easy! This is suitable during Atkins Induction. I sure hope you enjoy this as much as WE did!

INGREDIENTS:

14 oz. cauliflower flowerettes
4 oz. broccoli flowerettes
3 oz. yellow onion, chopped
1 small green onion, chopped
2 T. butter, unsalted
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ c. heavy cream
4 oz. grated Cheddar cheese
Dash each salt and black (or cayenne) pepper

DIRECTIONS: Grease a ceramic casserole dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350º. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into small flowerettes. Boil or steam until just half tender, but do not over cook so the broccoli will stay pretty and green even after oven baking. In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter, add the dash of salt and saute the onions until soft and caramelized. Sprinkle with the black pepper. Turn heat to lowest setting and add cream cheese and cream and blend into the onions with a rubber spatula. Turn off heat. Drain broccoli and cauliflower well in a strainer or colander and add to onion/cream cheese mixture in the skillet. Sprinkle 2/3 of the Cheddar on top and gently toss all together until all is evenly distributed, trying not to tear up the veggies too much in the process. Pour all into the greased casserole dish and top evenly with the remaining 1/3 Cheddar. Pop into a preheated 350º oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until all is melted and it is bubbly around the edges.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 servings, each contains:

117 calories
10.9 g fat
3.95 g carbs, .77 g fiber, 3.18 g NET CARBS
2.15 g protein
69.7 mg sodium
180 mg potassium
18.3% RDA Vitamin A and 11% phosphorous
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 20:01

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 213/171.6/150 Male 70 (inches)
BF:31%/24%/22%
Progress: 66%

That sounds really tasty, Peggy! I love veggie casseroles and will have to give this a try. Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 07:27
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Not much to it, but it sure was good! Hope ya like it Stan.