Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 13:46

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 140/140/110 Female 62.4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Confusion on cucumbers & cauliflower

Hello everyone,

I have been caculating my macros properly
And my carbs are below 20g.however I m not loosing weight.i was wondering if i making any mistske..so I calculated again & found that cucumbers i eat is highest carb contributor veryday..the app that I use says that one medium cucumber has 8 grams of carbs & 6 grams of fiber.so it shud be 2 g carbs net.

Similarly, I eat 250 grams of cauliflower alternate day which as per my app has 6-8grams of carbs with 5-6 grams of fiber.so my total carbs come around 33g and 22 g fiber.so net carb in take comes to be 10g.

Similarplzz advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 13:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Are you asking for simpler advice? Most Ketogenic diets only count total carbs, and keep those under 20 to assure ketosis. Check out the two week challenge on DietDoctor...menus provided.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 16:02

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Based on your calculations, between the cucumber and cauliflower you're getting about 16g of total carbs (whether you subtract fiber or not is up to you - I watch both).

My question is, where are the rest of the 33g coming from?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 18:53

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Is that about 2 cups of cauliflower? And an entire cucumber? That seems like a lot if you're trying to get into ketosis. I count net carbs, and remain in ketosis, but I would probably not eat that much of those veggies in a day (because ketosis keeps me from needing a lot of food). Maybe salad greens instead?

When I do feel the need for quantity, I go for fatty foods as much as possible. I'll just eat an entire avocado with salt and hot sauce. Or something with a lot of butter.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I would ask the same question as Julia. If you are consuming over 30 gross carbs, and the cucumber and cauliflower are only about half of that--where is the rest coming from?

It would make any advice we give more precise, if you would post a normal day's food intake.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 20:16

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for reading .well, the total carbs that I mentioned include other food items like almonds and onion that i add to my dishes (I go very little on onions).Thursdays are always veggie days as becoz of religious reasons I dont eat non veg & eggs .so this intake of cucumber & cauliflower is only for one day in a week.and strange thing is that my keto stix shows that I m in deep ketosis.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 20:18

BF:
Progress:

Jey, that's a newz for me coz I follow ketogenic diet & at most of the places,its mentioned to take net carbs..
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 02:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The original Dr Atkins and Dr Westman's clinic uses 20g total carbs, to assure that anyone, diabetic, very insulin resistant, ill, very carb intolerant will definitely get into ketosis. DietDoctor uses the same protocol for his induction level or 2 week challenge, but if you are otherwise healthy, feel free to count net and enjoy more vegetables.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ketostix aren't a very reliable way to measure ketosis. If you're losing weight, have a weird mouth taste, peeing a lot, feeling un-hungry, then you're probably in ketosis.

I also found I got deeper into ketosis by keeping my protein under 80g a day, between 70-80g most days. To do that, I ate quite a lot of veggies and fat. My total carbs could be as high as 50, although my net carbs were usually between 20-30.

I used the blood meter to get an accurate picture of my depth of ketosis.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 08:51

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

The bulk of my (gross) carbs yesterday came from:
3 oz. raw cauliflower (4.2g)
4.38 oz dill pickle (3.2g)
1/2 oz raw walnuts (1.9g)

Plus a few from the tomato/lettuce/onion on my turkey burger, and a couple of eggs.

I ended the day at 15g (less 4.9g fiber if desired)

Quantity is one place to give yourself variety without going higher than you want to on carbs.

You can also replace almonds with lower-carb nuts (I like walnuts, pecans and brazil nuts), keeping in mind that at least for Atkins nuts are not allowed until after Induction.

Going back to your original question, it's hard to say if a few extra gross carbs are impacting your weight loss. Part of it will be that you are not far from a healthy weight already. If you are exercising (suddenly, and you weren't before) that may cause a delay in losing. How long have you been trying to lose?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 23:09

BF:
Progress:

Thank Nancy...I also think I shud get blood meter.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 23:15

BF:
Progress:

Hi Julia ,
Thank you for reading & replying on my query.well initially I did it 3-4 months ago..and did see good results. Then I had to stop this diet because I had to attend big fat Indian wedding & was out of town.I did not gain much weight after that.but I want to loose another 10 kg.now it's been two weeks since I.started again.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 06:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

can you give us a typical day's menu? Also one for thursday, when you can't have eggs or meat if i read that correctly? Can you have dairy or soy on thursdays?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 03:29

BF:
Progress:

Hi Robin,
Usually my menu is like:
Breakfast- two omelette with cheese (without onion ,& tomato)
Mid morning- bulletproof coffee with a spoon of cream & sucralose sweetener
Lunch - 2 half fruied eggs with .25 of cucumber
Evening snack - bulletproof coffee with cream & 5-8 almonds
Dinner - 2-3 pieces of chicken/ fish/ cauliflower with few slices of cucumber.in the end I prefer to have bulletproof coffee again with a spoon full of cream.

And on Thursdays,
I generally do not eat until lunch.in lunch i eat cottage cheese fried with cheese & cream (150 grams) or mushrooms . bulletproof coffee in the evening with 5-8 almonds & cauliflower(250 g) in the dinner.

Thank a ton for reading & replying
Look forward to your advice.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 06:59

BF:
Progress:

Yes I can have soy but I thought it had carbs ..we get soya chunks here in India.