Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-20, 08:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Green tea contains L-theanine! Good choice
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 14:30

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My doctor also gave me Xanax for panic attacks. Well, it kind of works: by making my feelings go dead. For a little while. And there's all kinds of warnings about it, which only increased my anxiety!

So I dropped that and came up with a L-theanine/GABA combo which works so much better. It relieves the anxiety and then I am my usual self. This is also cheap and non-dangerous, especially by comparison.
Interesting. Back in my 30s I began to suffer from severe panic attacks for mostly unknown reasons. My doctor did eventually give me a prescription of 60 Xanax pills. My main symptom when I had these attacks was severe "air hunger", feeling unable to get a full breath. When I first got the pills I had to take one every day to be able to breathe, but after a little over a week I was able to cut back to 2-3 times a week, and then to once a week. After a while I only got an attack 1-2 times a month. So at that rate it took me over 3 years to use up all 60 pills and by then I was no longer having the attacks. Xanax never made me feel dead, just normal.

And was fine for many years until August of 2018 when I had a major house fire and my son died, both on the same day. I began getting panic attacks again, same "air hunger" symptoms. A friend and my sister each gave me 2-3 Xanax tablets from their own stash and I found I could get by with a half tablet, even a 1/4 tablet helped. My breathing eased. But of course those 4-5 tablets didn't last long, and I finally went to my doctor and begged for more. I had read that Xanax was not the best for senior citizens but I was desperate as it was the only thing that had ever worked.

I had tried all sorts of "natural" remedies and even the placebo affect of me being so sure they would help me didn't help me a bit. My doctor finally agreed to give me 30 Xanax tablets but said no more after that.

I didn't need them often and still have about 20 left, but I've been totally stressing over this whole Covid-19 business and once again suffering from air hunger on a fairly regular basic. I've broken into my stash of Xanax, trying to limit it to a 1/4 tablet, but often needing half. But knowing that even at this rate I'll use up my stash long before the Covid-19 crisis is over, so that worry has had me stressing even more!

So I'm absolutely willing to try out L-theanine/GABA since that's nothing I've tried before in my "natural remedy" treatments. The reviews all sound so promised on amazon. However I'm probably tried 100 things on amazon that have amazing reviews that have done squat for me. But these are cheap so I'm willing to give them a try. I'm taking about 20 different supplements every day as is (vitamin D3, K2, C, multivitamin my doctor wants me to take, melatonin, zinc, magnesium, elderberry, apple cider vinegar, garlic, a probiotic - well that's what I can think of off the top of my head). What's adding a couple more into the mix>
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 16:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

If I might suggest a breathing technique . It works every time as it plays on the nerve system.

Breath in thru nose and think "I am..... " , then exhale thru mouth slllllooooowwwwwly and think " peace..... "

Always works for me. Taught my boys for test taking and other stressful high school crap. lol

Panic attacks are real.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Apr-14-20 at 19:45.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 03:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
So I'm absolutely willing to try out L-theanine/GABA since that's nothing I've tried before in my "natural remedy" treatments. The reviews all sound so promised on amazon. However I'm probably tried 100 things on amazon that have amazing reviews that have done squat for me.

Yes, I'm the same way I haven't kept a list, but in my journal I bet there are likely 40-50 things I tried that didn't work, from supplements to sleep strategies.

Even now, I have pared down my essential supplements over years of trying stuff out. I am on furlough from a job in tourism, so the financial future is very uncertain.

I am currently:
  • 50k D3/daily K2 for immune system
  • 3 daily RAW thyroid from organ meats
  • twice daily PEA supplement for central nervous system repair
  • L-theanine-GABA as needed
  • pregnenolone and chelated magnesium during the week

which just might be the smallest in years.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 13:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
If I might suggest a breathing technique . It works every time as it plays on the nerve system.

Breath in thru nose and think "I am..... " , then exhale thru mouth slllllooooowwwwwly and think " peace..... "

Always works for me. Taught my boys for test taking and other stressful high school crap. lol

Panic attacks are real.

Watching The Karate Kid 2, even Mr. Miagi uses this breathing technique !!!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 15:04

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Interesting, that's pretty much the way I do my deep breathing, a good inhale through the nose and a much slower exhale through the mouth. But I have tried SAYING anything in my head as I do it. Certainly worth trying!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/215/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 50%

The Netflix series "Ozark" is pretty good. If you liked Breaking Bad, you'll like this. I lift weights in the morning, watch Ozark in the evening. In between I'm managing my 23 rental properties. Went from 73 tenants to about 12 in about a week.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 03:54

BF:

Thanks, Paul. I did like Breaking Bad.