Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 14:56

Plan: stress & low carb
Stats: 298/242/175 Female 5' 7
BF:WAY/ TOO/ MUCH
Progress: 46%
Default yo yo ing w/ atkins

Just curious here - I did atkins for a month and lost 12 lbs, then stalled and went off for a week or two. I ate carbs. Didnt gain anything back the whole time. Now all of sudden last week, i lost 8 lbs!!!!! And now 8 days later NOTHING???? Should i eat carbs for a few days and go back????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 16:05
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

How about no. Concider yourself lucky that you didn't gain any weight back on your month break. That will not happen all the time. You are only messing up you system jumping back and forth like that. Your poor body will not know which to turn, causing troubles for you futher down the line.

It is very normal after you lose a good amount of weight for your body to hold still on the scale. This is commonly refered to the post induction stall. But if you stuck with it, you could have notice that you may not be losing weight, but instead droping inches. Generally your body is just taking the time to readjust to the sudden changes. Just think how much futher you could have been by now if your didn't ate the carbs.

I know it is very hard to see no movement no the scale. I swear to you I was stalled out all last summer! I just stoped stepping on the scale, and went as I meant to go on. Then all of a sudden....bam! Give yourself a longer time and see what happens. Who will it hurt if you follow the plan through the summer with out those "uncalled for" carb days?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

I find the worst part of having a cheat that is illegal is getting over the cravings for the next few weeks! I don't usually gain anything, but its not worth the struggle for me to get back on track.

If you felt that upping your carbs is helpful, why don't you eat extra veggies to get your carbs up for a day or two? You'll feel satisfied, wont get any cravings, and won't wonder what if?

Also, I don't loose steady, but in bursts. It was hard at the beginning, as I lost about 18 lbs on induction, and then nothing for at least a month!! I stuck too it tho, and it DOES move

Try not weighing every day too, its more noticeable when you give it a few days, even a week in between. And dont forget measurements!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 20:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

I'd have to say no from personal experience. I lost 25lbs with last year with Atkins and then gained it all back when I was going back and forth between low carb and full blast carb because I seemed to be losing it faster. Then it got harder and harder to eat low carb and eventually I stopped. Year later, I re-started Atkins another 7lbs heavier than the first time and weight is not dropping off like it used to. It's best to stay the course and the weight will drop off. I went 3-4 weeks not losing any lbs, but I lost inches.

But, you may be one of those lucky few with tremendous self-control and going back and forth may work for you.